Media Incredible interview with Jimmy Flick

It's a good interview and basically what it was is this dude realized the follies of the UFC dream, that he was dedicating his whole life to being in the gym away from his family AND not making enough money to quit his day job, so he never got to see his family, and realized it wasn't fucking worth it so he called it quits.

This is the reality unless the UFC starts paying their fighters properly. Guys are just deciding it's not fucking worth it. A guy in his prime like Henry Cejudo retires because even at the top it's not worth it. Jon Jones wants to be cut. Francis Ngannou got paid under a million to win the world HW title, and he's already trying to set up a boxing match with Fury to actually get paid. It's sad.

It's a good interview and basically what it was is this dude realized the follies of the UFC dream, that he was dedicating his whole life to being in the gym away from his family AND not making enough money to quit his day job, so he never got to see his family, and realized it wasn't fucking worth it so he called it quits.

This is the reality unless the UFC starts paying their fighters properly. Guys are just deciding it's not fucking worth it. A guy in his prime like Henry Cejudo retires because even at the top it's not worth it. Jon Jones wants to be cut. Francis Ngannou got paid under a million to win the world HW title, and he's already trying to set up a boxing match with Fury to actually get paid. It's sad.

There was also that situation with his drugged up dad who he wanted to be in his corner and he was fighting for that in some way

Not even sure how to summarize that situation

I get the low level guys, but get outta here with Jon and Francis not getting paid, they're already multi millionaires

Cliffs.

Drugs are bad.

If you have to hold down a real job while under UFC contract something is very wrong. Oh yeah Dana and pals are the scum of the earth.

Why? There are a lot of pro athletes that work jobs.

I get the low level guys, but get outta here with Jon and Francis not getting paid, they're already multi millionaires

Francis Ngannou: $730,000 - ($500,000 to show, $150,000 win bonus, $50,000 'Performance of the Night' bonus, $30,000 sponsorship bonus)

So for UFC 260 winning the title, Ngannou made 730k. And that's not counting the tax man, training costs, manager costs, etc etc. So you tell me where Ngannou is getting these supposed multi millions from lol

So now he saying he's retired because his hearts not in and its not about money.

Nice guy. Hope he sticks to this retirement because he's clearly happier when he's not doing it and sticks to being a family man more.

Man I couldn't believe it when I heard about this. I first started following Jimmy after his fight at LFA 16 and I'm thinking man, if this guy can just get his standup game together and not get caught with so many shots he will be a real problem in the UFC coz his ground game is unbelievable. I mean look what he did to Nate Smith...

YOU'RE MY BOY JIMMY!!

I thought it'd be something like this, if not injury.

Seriously, not trying to downplay this, but this is probably what's happened - he's had a massive bust-up with his wife over spending too much time away from her and his family. She's compared him to his dad and he's realised he can't live his life in that way hence his comments about "the UFC doesn't look out for me, my wife does...."

He's realised he was spending too much time neglecting the people/person who is closest to him. Simple as that, I reckon.

Francis Ngannou: $730,000 - ($500,000 to show, $150,000 win bonus, $50,000 'Performance of the Night' bonus, $30,000 sponsorship bonus)

So for UFC 260 winning the title, Ngannou made 730k. And that's not counting the tax man, training costs, manager costs, etc etc. So you tell me where Ngannou is getting these supposed multi millions from lol
These guys don’t understand money. Taxman takes 40% off the top. That’s 300k. Frank has 400k to pay all his management and gym and himself. He takes home maybe 350k? Even if it’s more or less, that’s not a lot of money today, especially for the lifestyle of a pro athlete. Same thing with Conor, I think the whole reason he didn’t donate is because he realized that 500k cash is a ton of fucking money and it was a stupid idea. I think him cashing out the whiskey business is a sign that he is low on liquidity. Meaning he needs to fight. Having a mansion and a yacht are nice, but they are expensive tax wise and maintenance wise. He only really had one huge payday with Floyd. Yes he is better off than the rest of the roster, but if he doesn’t rein it in once he’s done fighting, he’s gonna be a broke ass.

The reality of being in the UFC as another fighter instead of a brand name and his personal situation crushed this man.

I feel like some posters didn't listen to the interview. It sounds like money issues are just a minor part, but not really the main reason he retired (this is discussed explicitly at 27:00).

"It's not about money, I'm retiring because my heart's not in it, because I thought I was gonna get my father back."

It sounds like the main reason he got into MMA was because he wanted to make his dad proud, because he felt his dad never really loved him. After he got into MMA, his dad relapsed into drug addiction and so did his brother. He told them they couldn't be in his corner, which was their original plan. His dad was disappointed. Jimmy saw him for Easter, and his dad told him he was proud of him, but it didn't seem like a genuine comment. His dad still seemed emotionally distant.

So, after he achieved his goal of making it to the UFC, he still felt like his dad wasn't really proud of him, he wasn't out of drugs, and wasn't going to be a part of his life, which were the reasons he was doing the whole thing. He lost passion and motivation. Also, he felt that he was going to keep working and training full time and wouldn't be present for his kids and wife, just like his dad wasn't present for him.

He decided to retire after that Easter conversation and his dad never talked to him about it or asked him why, his mom was kind of indifferent. Now he wants to write a book about it. Sounds like a rough upbringing... his wife sounds supportive though.

Last edited:
These guys don’t understand money. Taxman takes 40% off the top. That’s 300k. Frank has 400k to pay all his management and gym and himself. He takes home maybe 350k? Even if it’s more or less, that’s not a lot of money today, especially for the lifestyle of a pro athlete. Same thing with Conor, I think the whole reason he didn’t donate is because he realized that 500k cash is a ton of fucking money and it was a stupid idea. I think him cashing out the whiskey business is a sign that he is low on liquidity. Meaning he needs to fight. Having a mansion and a yacht are nice, but they are expensive tax wise and maintenance wise. He only really had one huge payday with Floyd. Yes he is better off than the rest of the roster, but if he doesn’t rein it in once he’s done fighting, he’s gonna be a broke ass.

Lmao it's one thing to bring up Ngannou but Conor makes over 10 million per fight and probably a lot more than that. This is a ludicrous post. I hope you are trolling.

Yeah, that's what he made from onefight bro, he's had a few in the UFC, he's sitting on at least 2 million.

Jon makes that every fight

Frank will have gotten PPV points for the fight I think. I'm not saying he was paid his worth, but he'll have got more than that.

Back