Incredible video on the benefit of Fasting Dr Pradip Jamnadas

I dabbled with intermittent fasting but was not seeing result, and subsequently I got acid reflux from eating bigger meal when I break fast. But a while ago, I came across Dr. Fung's fasting materials.

He also wrote a very useful book Complete guide to fasting, you can find the pdf of the book for free just by googling it.

I've been trying to do longer fast, once every 2 weeks, I started at 24 hours, then 36, and so on. I just finished a 72 hour 2 days ago, it was definitely getting easier the longer I do it. I wasn't even as hungry during the 3rd day as the first day. I am planning by the time I get to 5 days I'd just scale it back to once a month. And do a single day fast in the alternate week. During this time, I've lost around 7-8kg (this is with me eating dessert/drinking and occasional junk food when not fasting), I wasn't overweight but it feels like most of the weight I lost was fat and I kept most of the muscle as I hike and cycle often and my performance either stay the same or improved. I've had decent skin before, but it's getting even better now, I noticed when I wash my face that it feels even smoother to the touch than before.

My advice for people who want to try it is start with dirty water fast, which means allow yourself coffee/tea without milk/sugar on top of water, it would definitely make it easier. Drink more water than you are used to because you won't get water from your meals anymore and due to having no sodium from food either, you will have lower water retention. Which means remember to supplement your water with salt, this becomes increasingly more important the longer you fast.

I like broth, fruit, and soft, fermented veggies to break a fast. Those should be less likely to give you reflux.

I like broth, fruit, and soft, fermented veggies to break a fast. Those should be less likely to give you reflux.

What gave me reflux was back when I was doing IF, which was around 17 hours tops. And I'd just eat my breakfast and lunch at the same time which was simply too big of a meal for me to handle. If I were to do IF again, I'd just cut the breakfast out but I prefer doing extended fast and less often because it offers more health benefits while IF is more for weight loss.

When I break my fast, I also eat lighter meal, but just as a precaution, I take a digestive enzyme supplement.

What gave me reflux was back when I was doing IF, which was around 17 hours tops. And I'd just eat my breakfast and lunch at the same time which was simply too big of a meal for me to handle. If I were to do IF again, I'd just cut the breakfast out but I prefer doing extended fast and less often because it offers more health benefits while IF is more for weight loss.

When I break my fast, I also eat lighter meal, but just as a precaution, I take a digestive enzyme supplement.

How much benefit would I get from fasting one day a month for 24 hours? I don't want to lose any weight, because I'm already pretty lean

How much benefit would I get from fasting one day a month for 24 hours? I don't want to lose any weight, because I'm already pretty lean
No one can quantify that. That's sort of like asking how much benefit will you get from doing an extra workout per month. It's probably better than not doing it.

If you're hungry then eat. If you're not hungry, fast.

Back