International/Olympic wrestling discussion.

Finding Deebo

Swimming in Heaven, lookin' for Craig!!
Banned
Reaction score
Is there any international wrestling going on this year?

The world championships was supposed to be on about now but various countries pulled out so we have an 'individual world cup' instead, which is still in the schedule for next week.
Assuming that goes ahead you'll be able to watch it free online (although in the USA the rights might be held by a pay-for-access site, not sure). It'll be in Serbia so on Euro time and probably just competitors from some Euro nations I'd guess.

I'm pulling for Sushil Kumar to take home the gold this time. He's got a bronze and a silver, as well as a world championship to his name. India, for whatever reason, chose not to go with him last Olympics, so that's an additional 4 years lost on his career, but it'd be an amazing story if he was able to take it home this time and give India their first Olympic title in a sport they arguably invented.

You must be Indian? ;)
Ha, not even close. But history is history. And Pelwanhi is...well, pretty old and its basically freestyle wrestling.

I wonder if the medals are going to be like 40% Caucasian again this time.

I'm pulling for Sushil Kumar to take home the gold this time. He's got a bronze and a silver, as well as a world championship to his name. India, for whatever reason, chose not to go with him last Olympics, so that's an additional 4 years lost on his career, but it'd be an amazing story if he was able to take it home this time and give India their first Olympic title in a sport they arguably invented.
Last I was aware of he had declined considerably and is not only wrestling up a weight class but isn't nearly as good as he was a decade ago. Plus, he was involved in some kind of doping scandal. Are you just a fan or legitimately expecting him to contend?

Last I was aware of he had declined considerably and is not only wrestling up a weight class but isn't nearly as good as he was a decade ago. Plus, he was involved in some kind of doping scandal. Are you just a fan or legitimately expecting him to contend?
I haven't heard of the doping scandal, is that why India didn't allow him to represent them in 2016?

Yeah, I'm a fan. And like I said, it would be a great story if he managed to finally get the gold. Didn't say it would be easy, but that's part of why it would be a great story.

On the Domestic side Rofkin and Flo have teamed up with various athletes and RTCs and have been airing matches.

Gabe Dean almost took out David Taylor in one dual. Gabel Steveson and Mason Parris both beat Gwiz this past weekend

Flo has an upcoming 150lb 8 man tournament on Dec 18th featuring James Green, Yianni, Oliver, Ashnualt, Barjang, McKenna, Evan Henderson, Pat Lugo and Meredith.

I haven't heard of the doping scandal, is that why India didn't allow him to represent them in 2016?

Yeah, I'm a fan. And like I said, it would be a great story if he managed to finally get the gold. Didn't say it would be easy, but that's part of why it would be a great story.

Are you only interested in Kumar, or are you a fan of Indian wrestling in general? There is an exceptionally talented 65kg wrestler named Bajrang Punia who is one of the favorites to win in Tokyo. His matches don’t disappoint.

I heard that Bajrang Punia is moving up to 70kg to challenge James Green.

Are you only interested in Kumar, or are you a fan of Indian wrestling in general? There is an exceptionally talented 65kg wrestler named Bajrang Punia who is one of the favorites to win in Tokyo. His matches don’t disappoint.
I appreciate guys like Punia, but I also like to see guys in underdog positions come through. I mean, that's part of what I watch sports for in the first place. I guess some fans of combat sports like to see excellence, which I like as well, but I also like to see guys fight to break through and rise to the occasion. Like when South Korea upset the North Korean that beat Zeke Jones for the Gold, that was one of my favorite wrestling moments, because it was a guy who was basically counted out coming through in a huge moment.

I'm behind Burroughs this time around for similar reasons. I am definitely rooting for Punia though. As I said before, I'd love to see a country with such a deep history in the style and approach to wrestling that I grew up practicing finally get a gold medal.

Last edited:
I heard that Bajrang Punia is moving up to 70kg to challenge James Green.
Green is moving down again. He was planning to go for the 74kg spot but is now going down to 65 again. I'm surprised bc he's talked about how tough it was in 2016.

Green is moving down again. He was planning to go for the 74kg spot but is now going down to 65 again. I'm surprised bc he's talked about how tough it was in 2016.
Quite interesting, I would have thought that 74 would be better for him, he got silver at the Alania tournament last year and had a close match with one of Russia's best at 74 in Khetag Tsabolov.

Quite interesting, I would have thought that 74 would be better for him, he got silver at the Alania tournament last year and had a close match with one of Russia's best at 74 in Khetag Tsabolov.
Wow. Not bad. Any idea who he beat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back