Television INVINCIBLE - Dragonlord's Recommendation (Season 2 Returns March 14)

If you have seen the entire season one of INVINCIBLE, how would your rate it?

• Total voters
I don't see how its poorly written. I grew up reading Superman, and as a supes analog its far, far better than anyone superman story arc I've ever read.
It's poorly written on a lot of levels. For one thing, the vast majority of the characters talk the same way regardless of age, background, or even being from Earth ("oh, crap!") This is actually one of the most immediate fixes of the TV show, the dialogue doesn't suck out loud because there's a team of real writers around Kirkman now. There's also the fact that almost all of the characters have the same internal logic, the same (immature, stupid, edgy) worldview. There are moments when you can tell Kirkman is legitimately trying to wax philosophical and it's just juvenile. The repetition in the way character's speak is insane. Like, if you took that to a professional editor they'd tell you you need to edit out about 66% of your dialogue in a lot of places. It's really just objectively terrible in a lot of ways.

My problem with Invincible is people pitch it like it's some Alan Moore shit just because it's aware that it's a superhero book, but it's still very much a juvenile superhero book. If you enjoy it for what it is: big, dumb, loud, entertaining superheroes? Then it's pretty cool, and I am a fan. But it's nowhere in the vicinity of a well-written story, and should never be mentioned amongst the best superhero comics ever written.

I watched all 3. Not great. Doesn't really add anything to the genre that we haven't seen before. I'll still watch it but I won't be waiting week for week for the episodes to come out.

I did not expect that ending of ep1, wow!

The dad reminded me of King Bradley, another great father!
King.Bradley.full.108273.jpg

It's poorly written on a lot of levels. For one thing, the vast majority of the characters talk the same way regardless of age, background, or even being from Earth ("oh, crap!") This is actually one of the most immediate fixes of the TV show, the dialogue doesn't suck out loud because there's a team of real writers around Kirkman now. There's also the fact that almost all of the characters have the same internal logic, the same (immature, stupid, edgy) worldview. There are moments when you can tell Kirkman is legitimately trying to wax philosophical and it's just juvenile. The repetition in the way character's speak is insane. Like, if you took that to a professional editor they'd tell you you need to edit out about 66% of your dialogue in a lot of places. It's really just objectively terrible in a lot of ways.

My problem with Invincible is people pitch it like it's some Alan Moore shit just because it's aware that it's a superhero book, but it's still very much a juvenile superhero book. If you enjoy it for what it is: big, dumb, loud, entertaining superheroes? Then it's pretty cool, and I am a fan. But it's nowhere in the vicinity of a well-written story, and should never be mentioned amongst the best superhero comics ever written.

It's not the best superhero comic ever written. It's the best superhero comic.

I mean I never said its the best written comic ever. Its the best version of a superman comic imo. Because it has the most interesting characters, fun fights, and a real feeling of weight and danger to the powers the characters have. You don't feel like characters are safe, or like things are going to be end up ok no matter what happens.

I've read a lot of superman stories, and most of them are really dry and boring with no stakes. And I hate his bland, forgettable supporting cast. Jimmy, lois, perry, etc. As far as characters sounding the same, you can pull out a superman comic from many different arcs and years and almost all pf the charscters sound like the same generic boy scout. Thats part of why marvel surpassed them, they weren't afraid to have morally grey characters. DC didn't start to really improve on that until the late 2000s

I like the Invincible comic book but would not label it as the best either. There are some highs and lows. There's a lot of repetitiveness throughout the series though that I eventually found boring.
I think it starts to fall off after the war arc, but was thoroughly entertained until that point.

It's not the best superhero comic ever written. It's the best superhero comic.
I mean we're all entitled to opinions. I like Invincible, to be clear. But I can also take a quick glance around my room and spot a lot of superhero comics that are better.

Notice to new visitors to this thread:

Check out INVINCIBLE. It's setting up to becoming one of the greatest superhero animated series ever. Watch the first episode completely. It is not what it seems. By the end, you'll be hooked and intrigued. Stay away from this thread until you've watched the first episode to avoid spoilers. If you like YOUNG JUSTICE, you will like this.

Invincible-2.jpg
I'm watching this tonight.

I think someone mentioned Astro City don't
much about it but I love the cover.
51JH2CC3M0L.jpg

Notice to new visitors to this thread:

Check out INVINCIBLE. It's setting up to becoming one of the greatest superhero animated series ever. Watch the first episode completely. It is not what it seems. By the end, you'll be hooked and intrigued. Stay away from this thread until you've watched the first episode to avoid spoilers. If you like YOUNG JUSTICE, you will like this.

Invincible-2.jpg

Nice I'll add it to the list. Going to have to wait until it's fully released.

Back