Is anyone else getting Klitschko- Fury vibes from Saunders-Canelo?

Ahmed Masood

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
People forget at the time, Vlad was seen as industructible, unbeatable, a step above the other heavyweights, in the same way Canelo does compared to the majority of his competition at 160 and 168. He was also a huge favourite over fury in the same way that Canelo was over BJS but i think the worlds in for a shock. I think BJS will actually control Canelo in a similar way to how Fury did against Klitschko. The reasons I believe this are:

1) Mind games. The whole Ringgate was an obvious ploy to wind Canelos team up and don't be surprised if BJS team do something similar on Fight day. Similar to how Fury was inside Klitschkos head, i believe that BJS has actually got Canelo thinking slightly emotional with Canelo himself admitting its a little more personal. An emotional Canelo fighting in a more traditional "Mexican way" is what the BJS team want rather than the pressuring yet defensive counter striker style he has developed.

2) Style. Canelo has struggles against slick southpaws in the past and BJS maybe the slickest he's faced. He has also significantly improved his conditioning and looks to be in the best shape of his career. His fight against David Lemieux is an indication of his true potential and I feel that we'll see an even better version in this fight, since BJS, like Tyson fury , is the sort of fighter who may look average against lesser opponents, but really rises to the occasion. Admittedly, Canelos speed may give him some issues, but BJS can probably match it and utilise his reach more effectively than Canelos past opponents.

Canelo can win and there is a path to victory but to be honest, I see BJS beating him from pillar to post and we'll have a new unified 168lb world champ. Then again, Im british so I maybe bias.

What do you think Sherbros?

Yes, their hate haze for Billy stops them from admitting it, I think?

Klitschko was eleventy thousand years old & BJS has no physical advantages (he might have like 2" in reach/height).

Also, BJS is no Fury: he's faded late & looked vulnerable vs. 3/4 of his biggest tests (Eubank, Lee & Ryder). I sat ringside after he'd given away half the fight posing, & Chris Eubank Jr.'s pressure was getting to BJS at the bell. There is no fucking way that dude beats any version of Canelo, & what's BJS's preparation for this? Coming from behind against the Argie? Getting his bell rung in the 6th versus Isufi?

It's not remotely like it, apart from the fact BJS & Fury are mates.

Klitschko was eleventy thousand years old & BJS has no physical advantages (he might have like 2" in reach/height).

It's not remotely like it, apart from the fact BJS & Fury are mates.
Both unbeaten outsiders who we don't really know how good they are? I'd say that rings a bell.

People forget at the time, Vlad was seen as industructible, unbeatable, a step above the other heavyweights, in the same way Canelo does compared to the majority of his competition at 160 and 168. He was also a huge favourite over fury in the same way that Canelo was over BJS but i think the worlds in for a shock. I think BJS will actually control Canelo in a similar way to how Fury did against Klitschko. The reasons I believe this are:

1) Mind games. The whole Ringgate was an obvious ploy to wind Canelos team up and don't be surprised if BJS team do something similar on Fight day. Similar to how Fury was inside Klitschkos head, i believe that BJS has actually got Canelo thinking slightly emotional with Canelo himself admitting its a little more personal. An emotional Canelo fighting in a more traditional "Mexican way" is what the BJS team want rather than the pressuring yet defensive counter striker style he has developed.

2) Style. Canelo has struggles against slick southpaws in the past and BJS maybe the slickest he's faced. He has also significantly improved his conditioning and looks to be in the best shape of his career. His fight against David Lemieux is an indication of his true potential and I feel that we'll see an even better version in this fight, since BJS, like Tyson fury , is the sort of fighter who may look average against lesser opponents, but really rises to the occasion. Admittedly, Canelos speed may give him some issues, but BJS can probably match it and utilise his reach more effectively than Canelos past opponents.

Canelo can win and there is a path to victory but to be honest, I see BJS beating him from pillar to post and we'll have a new unified 168lb world champ. Then again, Im british so I maybe bias.

What do you think Sherbros?

no!

Wlad is a safety first boxer that won’t commit unless he knows he can land without putting himself in danger. There was always the possibility that he would be gun shy against a bigger guy than him, who he can’t outmuscle and bully. That’s exactly what happened until the last round

Canelo won’t have a problem letting his hands go. Fury and canelo are also better boxers than wlad and bjs. Most fans that had actually watched fury, other than the uppercut video, also realised that this was a close fight. Bjs is gonna be well out of his depth on Sunday

no!

Wlad is a safety first boxer that won’t commit unless he knows he can land without putting himself in danger. There was always the possibility that he would be gun shy against a bigger guy than him, who he can’t outmuscle and bully. That’s exactly what happened until the last round

Yep.

Klit had a history of being passive & waiting around against big guys, literally all of them he prodded witht the jab & stayed off of—he'd been doing it going back years (vs. McCline, FFS): absolutely the worst style to try to pull off vs. Fury. Wlad's personality, his likely tactics, his previous boxing style vs. similarly big opponents—all played into Fury's hands.

None of that here. Clenelo was draining like fuck to make 154 & Lara's better than BJS has ever been, I cannot see Saunders repeating his & Trout's success, let alone bettering it.

Don't get me wrong Saunders is a overall good puncher with decent movement and decent stamina (last fight was ehh though)

But fury presented quite a few significant challenges to klitchko that i don't believe saunders really presents to canelo. Namely at that point klitchko wasent pressuring anybody, and thats really the name of the game in this one. Hard compare

Actually BJS and Fury are the similar ones, they’re both skilled but very boring so they have to do theater to draw attention to themselves otherwise no one would care about them.

Actually BJS and Fury are the similar ones, they’re both skilled but very boring so they have to do theater to draw attention to themselves otherwise no one would care about them.
You think the chisora, Wilder, Wallin, Schwartz fights very unpleasant to watch? The Klitschko fight was eyecancer, but he also had some very entertaining fights. saunders had the limeux performance, but apart from that i agree. he is boring and his persona is a very cheap asshole wannabe copy of Fury.

If you’re not Floyd good, you’re not beating this version of Canelo. Maybe someone like BJS can come along when Canelo starts to decline but not tomorrow.

BJS may have the tools to make this competitive - I think he'll give us 4 to 5 good rounds before riding his bicycle - but there's no way Canelo looks as rusty, puzzled and gun shy as the version of Wlad that showed up on that night.

@PUO3 Watch this in its entirety, how high from 1 - 10 would you say Tony is on Canelo?

Back