Is bench press the best indicator of upper body strength?

DanDragon Machi

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
If you had to compare the upper body strength between two people using a unique exercise it would be bench press? If it not, would be bench one of three best indicators? And how about biceps curl?

If you had to compare the upper body strength between two people using a unique exercise it would be bench press? If it not, would be bench one of three best indicators? And how about biceps curl?
Lmfao no to the bicep curl. Bench press uses nearly every muscle in the upper body so its the most complete judgemebnt of strength

I'd have to say overhead pressing is a better indicator of strength. Far more natural than bench, and you've got to be strong all over...From bottom to top.

Bench comes in second I feel.

I'd have to say overhead pressing is a better indicator of strength. Far more natural than bench, and you've got to be strong all over...From bottom to top.

Bench comes in second I feel.

For this reason I think bench would be a better indicator of upper body strenght because it depends only the upper body. A person could be stronger on upper body than another and overhead pressing less heavy because is weaker on the low body

Last edited:
For this reason I think bench would be a better indicator of upper body strenght because it depens only the upper body. A person could be stronger on upper body than another and overhead pressi less heavy because is weaker on the low body

Strict overhead pressing with no leg drive is better. You stiffen your entire body and you have to use yourself to push the weight...Not rely on a bench to do so.

Strict overhead pressing with no leg drive is better. You stiffen your entire body and you have to use yourself to push the weight...Not rely on a bench to do so.
then the floor press is the best. No leg drive or arching.

You're also probably not gonna convince anyone Robert Oberst has a stronger upper body than Julius Maddox even tho he likely outperforms him in overhead movements due to sport specificity.

You're also probably not gonna convince anyone Robert Oberst has a stronger upper body than Julius Maddox even tho he likely outperforms him in overhead movements due to sport specificity.
@WARinsertname watches strongman on tv all the time, he's an expert on this type of stuff.

There is a strong correlation between a big overhead press and a good bench carryover. You see it in strongmen who barely flat bench who decide to bench for the hell of it and end up pushing 500+ for reps easy peasy. You rarely see the opposite though, which is interesting.

I'd say Iron Bibby has immense upper body strength, given how well he does in both facets. Pretty sure if he strictly benched for the next couple years he would catch up to JM. Not only does he have the build for it, his shoulders are bulletproof.

The argument could also be made strict muscle ups are the best test because they test both pulling and pushing strength

The only reason the OHP was taken over by the bench was for ease of judging. Both are pretty good indicators, I just think a strict overhead press is a more adequate gauge compared to bench. You can't manipulate ROM on an overhead like some do with exaggerated bench arches

Idk, he doesn't arch much and is repping 700lbs. That's impressive tho
Maddox still gets a ton of leg drive. That's his #1 tip for benchers too- stable feet and power through the legs. It'd be interesting to see how much he can lift with his legs up.

There is a strong correlation between a big overhead press and a good bench carryover. You see it in strongmen who barely flat bench who decide to bench for the hell of it and end up pushing 500+ for reps easy peasy. You rarely see the opposite though, which is interesting.

I'd say Iron Bibby has immense upper body strength, given how well he does in both facets. Pretty sure if he strictly benched for the next couple years he would catch up to JM. Not only does he have the build for it, his shoulders are bulletproof.
That is not true. Plenty of people say ohp does not carry over much to bp.

Back