Is BJJ useless for kids?

Misanthropist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
A BJJ instructor came to my nephew's school to promote his gym. After finding out about his details, he used to train in a Gracie affiliated gym for 13 years. The kid got awarded with a free short term membership from him because he outperformed, largely because I taught him the basics and we spared for fun since he was 6 (he is 10 now). The instructor then rang his parents and they said ok..

He is excited but I felt let down because I don't want him do it. His pussy parents won't let him take judo because they said it's a violent sport. Common sense tells me that BJJ is useless and a waste of money for kids because they'll be spending 95% of their time on floor, what do they do when they get bullied on a concrete spot and isn't it dangerous when their bones are growing?

I can't think of any reason why they refuse when Judo are level ahead, more complete and have many advantages. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
How much of avoiding bullying comes from the kids just having confidence in themselves rather than being able to fight.

and I think its strange you're calling the parents 'pussy parents' because they are taking someone up on a free offer of some BJJ classes.

Judo and BJJ are the same at the end of the day, especially when it comes to kids.

A BJJ instructor came to my nephew's school to promote his gym. After finding out about his details, he used to train in a Gracie affiliated gym for 13 years. The kid got awarded with a free short term membership from him because he outperformed, largely because I taught him the basics and we spared for fun since he was 6 (he is 10 now). The instructor then rang his parents and they said ok..

He is excited but I felt let down because I don't want him do it. His pussy parents won't let him take judo because they said it's a violent sport. Common sense tells me that BJJ is useless and a waste of money for kids because they'll be spending 95% of their time on floor, what do they do when they get bullied on a concrete spot and isn't it dangerous when their bones are growing?

I can't think of any reason why they refuse when Judo are level ahead, more complete and have many advantages. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

BJJ is great if the school is great, but you won't care because you don't seem smart enough to be reasoned with.

Jiu jitsu is fine for kids, but imo Judo is better for them from a self defense and injury prevention perspective.

I think the play wrestling and rolling is great for them, but ukemi should be drilled far more than most bjj places will train it.

A good bjj kids class will spend plenty of time on ukemi, positional escape, and wrestling esque games.

Ukemi saved my ass a youth and an adult more than anything else from combat sports.

Especially if the kid gets into skateboarding or biking, you want them to be able to take a fall safely.

But at the end of the day, free mat time is free mat time. It all adds up.

Just buy your nephew a gun problem solved

8493335701_f00b09a21c_o-1000x795.jpg

Another day, another thinly veiled, passive aggressive BJJ bashing thread....

No bjj is great for kids. You won't see results right away , but so far we've had two 14 year old girls transition to adult classes after training in kids classes since 9 and they are doing great even against grown men

I teach my kids classes takedown. If they need to fight, which hopefully they don't, they know how to get there and how to deal with the situation. We do sport technique from time to time but most of what we do can work in both sport and self defense.

And based on (thankfully very few) incidents with some of the kids, it's worked well.

People do realize most bullying is passive aggressive and virtual nowadays right?

Bjj is great for kids, builds coordination and it is quite fun. The hardest thing is to the kid actually enjoy the pratice. So whatever they like it is mostly fine

Thinly veiled Judo Cultist "Judo is better than BJJ" thread. Seems like that happens a lot in this forum unfortunately.

Another day, another thinly veiled, passive aggressive BJJ bashing thread....

No bjj is great for kids. You won't see results right away , but so far we've had two 14 year old girls transition to adult classes after training in kids classes since 9 and they are doing great even against grown men

lmao, I skipped right to respond and never saw this. So considering we almost used the same exact term here, I'd have to agree.

This is a bullshit thread and should be deleted. For some reason weirdo Judo cultists come into this niche Sherdog forum and try to convince others Judo is better than BJJ. Right, that's why every MMA fighter literally has to train BJJ or some form of it. Constantly this happens, I see it every time I check this forum basically.

It is fucking odd.

lmao, I skipped right to respond and never saw this. So considering we almost used the same exact term here, I'd have to agree.

This is a bullshit thread and should be deleted. For some reason weirdo Judo cultists come into this niche Sherdog forum and try to convince others Judo is better than BJJ. Right, that's why every MMA fighter literally has to train BJJ or some form of it. Constantly this happens, I see it every time I check this forum basically.

It is fucking odd.

its call inferiority complex

Thinly veiled Judo Cultist "Judo is better than BJJ" thread. Seems like that happens a lot in this forum unfortunately.

Best part is that it boils down to "isn't it better to not train at all than to train bjj?" which is frankly absurd.

I'm all for kids in judo classes (and bringing more judo to bjj and more jiu jitsu into judo), but if the parents aren't consenting to that and are ok with bjj I don't really see how that could possibly be worse than not training at a gym at all.

Last edited:
It seems like the thread starter and actually, many others, vastly overrate the average skill-level and formidability of the untrained individual, kid or otherwise.

Best part is that it boils down to "isn't it better to not train at all than to train bjj?" which is frankly absurd.

I'm all for kids in judo classes (and bringing more judo to bjj and more jiu jitsu into judo), but if the parents aren't consenting to that and are ok with bjj I don't really see how that could possibly be better than not training at a gym at all.
Yeah.

Back