Is Grappling becoming unpopular?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Lately I have been hearing the whole " whoever shoots first is a bitch" or " lets keep it standing" and of course Conor mentioning that he doesn't count submission losses as real losses. Nate and the other dude talked about keeping it standing.

I am curios to know if grappling an art form that is no longer respected?

I mean regardless how you feel, Conor is still a high profile MMA fighter and him disparaging grappling arts is a big disrespect to the art itself. It seems like striking is far more well respected.

No everyone knows conor is a washed up sore loser that has shit grappling compared to the other ranked fighters in his division.

Yeah.. grappling is a mcdojo style

most grapplers are incomplete fighters. They’re either a wrassler with shit submissions or a BJJ guy with shit wrestling. They probably have pee pee striking too

Last edited:
I like grappling. There's exciting grappling and boring grappling.

Now here's a dirty little open secret. There's exciting striking and there is boring striking. Think of fights that barely go to the ground but still suck. That's boring striking.

As long as it isn't to position Hump & Thump with little pitter pats.

I love back and forth grappling exchanges, jockeying, crazy subs (or really any). Bring it all on!

Connor just sucks at wrestling and was attempting to goad his opponent into not exploiting his biggest weakness

Grappling > Striking

Lay N Pray & Jabbing = unpopular shit.

Lately I have been hearing the whole " whoever shoots first is a bitch" or " lets keep it standing" and of course Conor mentioning that he doesn't count submission losses as real losses. Nate and the other dude talked about keeping it standing.

I mean regardless how you feel, Conor is still a high profile MMA fighter and him disparaging grappling arts is a big disrespect to the art itself. It seems like striking is far more well respected.

Although grappling tournaments are becoming more popular than ever with guys like Gordon Ryan and the Danaher Death Squad. The Eddie Bravo Invitational and Submission Underground.

It's only the likes of Conor, Masvidal, Nate, etc. who lack in grappling and/or wrestling that constantly whine about it.

I get that LnP can be boring but there are very few fighters like that in the UFC today. Dana won't put them on the roster and everyone in modern MMA is well rounded.

So it's just guys who know they are overmatched on the ground complaining that other fighters won't play to their strengths. Boo hoo.

Dana seems very anti grappler. I’ve noticed that, for a while now.

To be honest, grappling was always unpopular in the ufc. Ton of fights where people booed when the fight went to the ground. Which ive always found weird, since if you don't like grappling, why do you watch mma?

In fact, the fights that i find the most boring is when two grapplers decide to only fight on their feet. Looks like a bad kickboxing match

No. Your conclusion is false.

What you are hearing is a fighter trying to get into their opponent's head.

Sure a random fan here or there may say something that daft. But they're childish or trolling or dumb or all of the above.

Or at least that's one asshole's opinion.

Don't get me wrong. Many prefer seeing rock em sock em to grappling with the intent of winning a round. But that's always been true. Everyone acknowledges the game is what it is.

Last edited:

He's been pretty open about his preference for standup. He dissed Askren for the longest because of his fighting style.

The UFC also has to consider its audience. Look at how quickly the Vegas crowd starts booing as soon as the action hits the ground.

No. He’s just pro entertainment.

There’s a reason why he was always publicly critical of GSP in spite of him being his Canadian cash cow.

That was one area in which he was clearly a fan before a business man otherwise, he would have kissed his ass.

Back