Is Islam Makhachev the most well-rounded fighter in MMA history?

Safwan ibn Muattal

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Looking at the guy's skillset, he really has zero weaknesses. Statistically least hit fighter in MMA history, elite wrestler, elite ground game, KO'd one of the best strikers.

All the GOATs had weaknesses, but not this guy

- GSP: finishing ability
- Jones: boxing
- DJ: undersized, takedown defense
- Fedor: loopy punches, lower body takedowns
- Silva: takedown defense, can't lead

If only he fought more he'd already be a top 5 GOAT

GSP is a better striker and wrestler...probably better grappler as well. So, no.

Most of the fighters you listed are significantly more tested with substantial sample sizes compared to Islam. I mean you're saying DJ has suspect takedown defense, when he has had more title defenses than every champion in the UFC combined (including female).

Come on now lol, we could just as easily conjure that Islam doesn't have top tier stamina then.

DJ! When he started going muay thai on Cejudo I was like who is this, Anderson Silva?

giphy.gif

He always finds ways to surprise me. Most recently was his beautiful, walk-off, flying knee.

source.gif

Last edited:
I don't think he has the natural gifts that Khabib had (intensity, toughness, chin, stamina etc) but he's added high level striking to Abdul Manap's elite MMA grappling.

It would have been interesting to see what Abdul Manap could have produced now that they have world class facilities and striking coaches at home. I think Umar and Usman are the closest we'll get to seeing that.

Looking at the guy's skillset, he really has zero weaknesses. Statistically least hit fighter in MMA history, elite wrestler, elite ground game, KO'd one of the best strikers.

All the GOATs had weaknesses, but not this guy

- GSP: finishing ability
- Jones: boxing
- DJ: undersized, takedown defense
- Fedor: loopy punches, lower body takedowns
- Silva: takedown defense, can't lead

If only he fought more he'd already be a top 5 GOAT
If we call out the GOATs you mentioned for those things, Islam could easily be called out for the flaws he showed against Martins, Tsarukyan and Volkanovski.

No, that would be GSP or Demetrius Johnson.

GSP has superb jitz, much better kickboxing / muay thai, and his wrestling was impeccable.
how many submission wins how many submission losses?

Back