Is it concerning when talking about headliners for UFC 300, it's always past-their-prime fighters?

trying to be as objective as possible, It will probably continue to improve for the mid level fighters, as we've seen over the last 5-7 years. But the no-name 23yo's will still be offered a 12k/12k, TIOLI, like they were 10 years ago, and the bigger names will probably still get what they're getting now. I doubt their will be any game-changing, significant changes until the final verdict on the class action, anto-monopsony lawsuit comes down.

I actually agreed with what you said, but I was trying to bring some levity to the situation.
You're also 100% right about the lawsuit and a lot of things hinging on that.

If the fighters win that lawsuit the UFC will have heavy losses.

UFC 300 should be headlined by the current face of the organization.

conormcgregor

I agree on the rest, but Jones is the heavyweight champion. Makes sense that people would want to see him on the card.

I actually agreed with what you said, but I was trying to bring some levity to the situation.

I figured.

I can not tell you how elated I will be if this happens, SL.

fingers-crossed.gif

Not really. I'm sure they'd rather have a few more established champs, but it's more the timeline than lack of guys on the roster who would make a good main event. Islam/Leon would be huge, Jones/Tom would probably be the biggest fight they could make, but that isn't happening, Izzy/Dricus would be a big fight, Izzy/Pereira at 205 would be a big fight.

They have guys who COULD fit as a main event, but the timing doesn't work or there's Belal or Stipe or some crap in the way.

very good point, sir

UFC needs to be more cut-throat with their ranking match-ups.

They kept pitting their top 10 guys against each other until they age out.
Guys are sitting on their ranks.
UFC is staggering their 'big bouts' to cover their PPV schedule.

The long term effects of this stuff is showing.

To be fair, the guys who ran the UFC are happy to cash out and milk the ESPN by giving the minimum product to take maximum, I don't think they care about UFC running long and healthy. The only ones who have sold are older fighters besides Izzy, who isn't exactly on the level of the others either. So I don't want it to be just nostalgia, but UFC 400 isn't until 2032. So I would hope they put together something worthy of a "once in 8 years event". If they have to drag guys out of retirement so be it. I just hope it feels huge.

The UFC is lacking young stars. The organization is on the decline. The biggest fight the UFC can offer is Jon Jones vs a 47 year old past his prime Stipe.

Back