Law Is it time to stop traffic stops or have someone other than police to handle them?

your sentence implies that the other poster has been stopped multiple times and never been issued a citation, but i am guessing you were trying to refer to yourself
No, it fully refers to me, and him being wrong about police just looking to ticket people they stop.

I doubt anywhere near a majority of stops overlap with some serious charge. But this is the larger issue. Cops now treat every stop for a minor infraction as full on investigation and interrogation for a full gambit crimes they have no cause to detain you for. Just obsessed with writing a bigger ticket.

a dozen questions that have nothing to do with what they pulled you over for. If you don’t answer these questions you suddenly it’s assumed you’re hiding something and they are thinking up an excuse to search your shit. It’s bull shit.

I seriously doubt you have a relevant sample of human experience to assert this. It makes me wonder what you are doing to attract this kind of attention. I'm guessing that this is unique to you, and maybe your circle, because of some other obnoxious behaviors you are engaging in. For normal people when a cop pulls them over for a traffic infraction that is the end of it.

I seriously doubt you have a relevant sample of human experience to assert this. It makes me wonder what you are doing to attract this kind of attention. I'm guessing that this is unique to you, and maybe your circle, because of some other obnoxious behaviors you are engaging in. For normal people when a cop pulls them over for a traffic infraction that is the end of it.
C'mon, we all know that pretextual stops are a real thing. Used to justify stopping an individual for further investigation when there isn't probable cause to do so. It happened enough that it went before the Supreme Court and was upheld as legitimate.

We can't sit here and honestly discuss traffic stops as if they're never used as a backdoor around probable cause for vehicular stops. And I don't have an issue with pretextual stops, I think they're fine. But they are happening and they are leading to conflictual engagement when the officer's reasonable suspicion doesn't pan out.

C'mon, we all know that pretextual stops are a real thing. Used to justify stopping an individual for further investigation when there isn't probable cause to do so. It happened enough that it went before the Supreme Court and was upheld as legitimate.

We can't sit here and honestly discuss traffic stops as if they're never used as a backdoor around probable cause for vehicular stops. And I don't have an issue with pretextual stops, I think they're fine. But they are happening and they are leading to conflictual engagement when the officer's reasonable suspicion doesn't pan out.

I rarely use universals like always and never. I'm sure that there are cases of this, but the guy I'm responding too seems to want us to believe this is widespread and it has nothing to do with the behavior of the people who are getting hassled. I believe this is not as common as he thinks, and if he is seeing/experiencing it a lot there is something he or the people around him are doing to draw unwanted attention to themselves.

I rarely use universals like always and never. I'm sure that there are cases of this, but the guy I'm responding too seems to want us to believe this is widespread and it has nothing to do with the behavior of the people who are getting hassled. I believe this is not as common as he thinks, and if he is seeing/experiencing it a lot there is something he or the people around him are doing to draw unwanted attention to themselves.

There’s currently legislation being brought forth in more than half a dozen states because of the overzealous nature of ticket quotas. That doesn’t happen in that many states without there being issues related to overzealous ticket writing and cops hunting for reasons to write folks up. How’s that for a relevant human experience?

@nhbbear were you trying to be an ignorant bitch with that comment or did it just come naturally?

What in the actual fuck are you even talking about? Which part of your butt hurts the most? Maybe there is a salve for that. Maybe mix your tears with some baking soda and rub that on it. Or maybe, don’t take one post out of context in a whole thread. Nothing I said is offensive or meant to be. I was explaining how and when police pull someone over for suspended licenses. In the op and the article, they claim that suspended license enforcement targets black people. I think it is offensive to assume that black people drive with suspended licenses more than whites. The opposite is true in my experience. It’s like when they were arguing over having voter id because they (dems and activists) claimed that getting picture id was too difficult. How is that not condescending?

And per your other post, why are black people being targeted? They’re not in most cases. Mostly, it’s the neighborhood that is having increased patrols and enforcement because of extremely high crime rates. When you have 6%(black males) being the suspect in 50% of shootings total, and in their own communities they make up an even split 50/50ish of black males and black females and children as victims with the shooting suspect is a black male in over 90# of the time. That’s why those neighborhoods are targeted which leads to a disproportionate number of black men stopped

Isnt that sad? Cops are so over the top incompetent, and cant control their urges to be corrupt and abuse their powers (particularly against minorities), that they need to stop doing their jobs. I am all for it. It will probably put the mothers of a lot of black kids a little more at ease

This whole ordeal started with a stop for tint and ended with a cop and suspect dead. Albeit the stop was orchestrated by DHI but the point stands it was a pretextual stop. And the poor cop had no idea who he was pulling over sadly.

The long term play here doesn't require cops.
Infrastructure bill also had language looking to require car manufacturers to install breathalyzer type devices into the ignition system of new vehicles.
The push for electric and self driving cars is all going to lull people into giving over control of their ability to move so that they can take that control over at any time, and they can further monitor your movements.

So if you speed in the future no cops will be needed, your car will slow it's self down and/or rat on you.

I'm starting to understand old guys who still drive old cars....
Whatever keeps criminals off the road and or catches criminals is fine with me. But I don’t see this era coming for another 100 years.

Isnt that sad? Cops are so over the top incompetent, and cant control their urges to be corrupt and abuse their powers (particularly against minorities), that they need to stop doing their jobs. I am all for it. It will probably put the mothers of a lot of black kids a little more at ease

yeah, then they have nothing to worry about without cops doing traffic stops and they can live their lives free to be shot down in gang violence

This whole ordeal started with a stop for tint and ended with a cop and suspect dead. Albeit the stop was orchestrated by DHI but the point stands it was a pretextual stop. And the poor cop had no idea who he was pulling over sadly.

That's really unfortunate. Why didn't someone clue the officer in more thoroughly?

Whatever keeps criminals off the road and or catches criminals is fine with me. But I don’t see this era coming for another 100 years.
Speeding is a civil infraction, not a crime. The bigger problem is writing off your freedoms in return for safety from "criminals" is literally, exactly, the attitude that's allowing tyranny to take hold so quickly.
10 years ago I would have agreed with you on the timeline, now it's clear that these types of policies are in favor by a large portion of the population which is actually accelerating the timeline. Your respone is literally the problem

I actually agree with this. It would stop crooked cops from lying that they smell weed so they can do an illegal search on your vehicle.

Speeding is a civil infraction, not a crime. The bigger problem is writing off your freedoms in return for safety from "criminals" is literally, exactly, the attitude that's allowing tyranny to take hold so quickly.
10 years ago I would have agreed with you on the timeline, now it's clear that these types of policies are in favor by a large portion of the population which is actually accelerating the timeline. Your respone is literally the problem
Yeah you’re right. Let’s just give ever a free pass. Oh and FACT... 100% of criminals agree with you and repeat your exact words verbatim.

unarmed cops doing this is a horrendous idea. traffic stops would be lethal for an unarmed meter maid. it would be very easy for a dude who has like 100 kilos of coke in the trunk to shoot an unarmed person in the face an get away. a person might be on their third strike felony would easily do this shit to avoid life in prison. they do it to armed cops right now.

Back