Is kimbo slice the most influential figure in combat sport through the "internet era"?

Kimbo the dude who fought undersized goons in backyards surrounded by his posse?
Who went to become a “pro fighter “ getting beat by WWs?
Yeah...very influential...

Even though Elite XC was a joke of an organization, they did a good job of filling Kimbo's undercards with exciting fighters.

I specifically remember Murilo "Ninja" Rua vs Benji Radach being straight fire.

I recall that fight being underwhelming until Ninja whiffed on a standing knee attempt and planted himself on his ass, followed by Radach landing a nuke for the finish. Then again, I only watched that event live and never again so I'm maybe misremembering.

Not influential in anyway, if you asked a bunch of non MMA fans to name 10 MMA fighters they'd probably say Kimbo as one.

Kimbo the dude who fought undersized goons in backyards surrounded by his posse?

Well yeah on "paper"
But the sad thing is (and yes to me its sad) his fights got a lot of views.
Dude was not a god fighter in any way shape or form. Hell Scott Coker even talked about having Kimbo fight shorter rounds (3min IIRC) because of his shitty cardio.
But people watched it. because people dont like high level fights they like the "just bang" guys.
Kimbo was one of the better just bang it out. And thats what people wants. because its "exciting<{JustBleed}>"

Machida has to be up there. The internet made him a legend before he ever stepped foot in the octagon.
The other would probably have to be Charlie zelenoff.

GUXS-c.gif

That says a lot about the fans and what kind of fights they really prefers..

Entertaining fights with colorful characters. Kind Like punch-out in real life. Would you rather watch usman vs Covington or kimbo play Big Macs head like a bongo? :D

His fight with Thompson was God awful. I never trusted dan miragliotta after that one

No. He had some influence in that his YouTubes lured a few of you to watch MMA. But not even in the top 100 MOST influential in COMBAT sports. Oh, I see you limited it to "internet era"..... still not top 10.

I checked google trends from 2004 - Present. He peaked about 1/3 of Ronda or Floyd's peak. About 1/4 of Conor. Conor's peak was insane.

Well yeah on "paper"
But the sad thing is (and yes to me its sad) his fights got a lot of views.
Dude was not a god fighter in any way shape or form. Hell Scott Coker even talked about having Kimbo fight shorter rounds (3min IIRC) because of his shitty cardio.
But people watched it. because people dont like high level fights they like the "just bang" guys.
Kimbo was one of the better just bang it out. And thats what people wants. because its "exciting<{JustBleed}>"
Zero complains from me if people liked him.
You(everybody)watch whatever entertains you.:)
Im no denying that he brought color and popularity to MMA but to me its the same way a guy like Tank did it in the 90s.
IMO he didn’t influenced anything at the level TS in asking it,he didn’t create or made anything more popular .

Oh look!!you found one of the few dudes that was not fat or skinny fat.
Dude took a lot of criticism on YT ,in his time,for fighting dudes who didn't had a hundredth of the juice levels he had or the size, im not even gonna comment on the training.
As entertaining as streetfighter Kimbo was the mismatches were clear as day.

Dude took a lot of criticism on YT ,in his time,for fighting dudes who didn't had a hundredth of the juice levels he had or the size, im not even gonna comment on the training.

I cant remember one dude he fought that fit your description

While I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. I ref'd a BJJ tournament at Great Adventure back when Frankie was the champ. Frankie, Kimbo and Matt Serra were there doing signings all day. Kimbo had a line and a crowd of people, while Franky sat at his table with a line of about 6 people.

Kimbo or some of the Streetbrawls dudes. Tough call lol

Until they went up to Boston and he got beat up...

Until they went up to Boston and he got beat up...

The complaints after that fight happened were hilarious.
Kimbo gets tagged goes to a zombie TD.
Posse
”its okay...its okay...”
Ganon gets the choke.
Posse
“WTHF!!!! Fook WTF!!stop this shit!”

After the fight “Ganon hit him bellow the ears and in the back of the head! This fight doesn’t count!”

Back