Is Leon Edwards a top 3 WW all time?

I see no way to justify him being ahead of either GSP, Matt, or Kamaru. *shrugs*

Nice guy but let's get serious.

He’s only just got started (at least with his title defences). He’s doing just fine. Let’s revisit end of next year. He could be on 4 defences by then (depending on the Shavecat problem).

Yes, and if he has three defenses in a year and someone asks the same question, my answer my change by then. But right now thats where I rank him

No! GSP is WAY ahead of everyone, then Usman and Hughes are WAY ahead of everyone else. He has a good case for 4-5 though
It’s worth considering that Leon beat Usman twice. GSP will always be the GOAT.

Imagine doing this to GSP and Sherdog casuals not even mentioning his name.

201_GSP.0.jpg

Wonderboy? Lmao. A guy that has never sniffed a title, ahead of Leon?

Leon is 14-2 1NC in the UFC. Should be 15-1 1. Lost his debut in a blatant home cooking robbery in Brazil.

Only fight he's ever really lost is the 1st Usman fight. He'd have already broken GSP's WW win streak record if not for Belal quitting and getting the NC.

Leon is already an ATG at 170. Guys like Wonderboy and Lawler with his 14-10 UFC record don't even come close.
Should be 15-3 then since his NC should have been a DQ

I have him at 4 right now.

GSP
Hughes
Usman
Leon

I think Leon surpasses Usman with 1 more title defense. People will argue "but Usman has 5 defenses Leon will only have 3" but meh. Usman only defended against 3 people, and so will Leon with another defense.

Besides, he will have beaten Usman's best opponent and biggest rival (Colby) and he's already beaten Usman himself 2 times.

Nobody bring up Woodley he isn't in the running lol.
"I'll eat yo ass"

I swear theres a bunch of dudes huddled around,waiting for a title to be defended so we can see what great fighters career from the past can be crumpled up and thrown out in favor of a current guy?

If Leon is in that conversation,its not really one worth having.

If only there was a way to measure these things to some degree. Like.... If someone had more of something than others?

GSP is the obvious WWGOAT.

Hughes had two impressive title reigns.

Usman’s reign was dominant (albeit redundant,) and his knees have been shot for a long time.

TWood is still ahead of Leon due to the current champ’s wins over what appears to be just just past their prime contenders (Usman and Covington.)

Lawler was a great champion beating a prime Rory and still prime (although that’s debatable) Condit in arguably the two greatest WW title fights in UFC history.

All that said, the next two top ranked contenders are Belal and Shavkat (love Usman; but shouldn’t be the #1 Contender at WW.)
If Leon is able to definitively beat both of them, he may very well leapfrog Usman and take over the #3 spot.

That said, I currently have him sitting at #4 or maybe tied with TWood.

Given his recent streak and quality of opposition I think it's an interesting discussion to have whether Leon Edwards is a top 3 WW of all time.

I think most of us would agree that #1 and #2 spots are occupied by GSP and Usman. So that leaves the question open as to who could be #3?

I think there are only three candidates left who could have a claim to that #3 spot: Leon, Hughes, and Woodley.

So does Leon make the cut for top 3?
Kamaru Usman
Gsp
Leon Edwards
Tyron Woodley
Matt Hughes

Hughes has 8 finishes in title fights. More than the amount of title fights most of these guys have even had. He's closer to GSP than the number 3 is to him.
Hughes competion was nothing he doesn't even make top 3 lmao the highlight of his career was being dethroned by gsp

Imagine doing this to GSP and Sherdog casuals not even mentioning his name.

201_GSP.0.jpg
one off fluke from a known roider, in a fight where he still lost, then won ONE MORE FIGHT (via lay n pray) only to have a cascade of losses leading to him being cut.

Hendricks is omitted for good reason, but if im honest in his prime he's a better version of woodley.

Given his recent streak and quality of opposition I think it's an interesting discussion to have whether Leon Edwards is a top 3 WW of all time.

I think most of us would agree that #1 and #2 spots are occupied by GSP and Usman. So that leaves the question open as to who could be #3?

I think there are only three candidates left who could have a claim to that #3 spot: Leon, Hughes, and Woodley.

So does Leon make the cut for to
1Gsp 2usmen 3 hughes 4 idk 5 idk
Leon only has 2 title defences.. hes not even in the mix yet let him get another ww is a tough division

to have an OP not including hughes is either gaslighting or sheer ignorance. edwards isn't even in the picture yet with those three in front of him.

He's set to defend at UFC 300, lets see how that goes and if he wins then he enters the conversation. And by that I mean he's gonna be someone we can start talking about overtaking guys like Hughes, Usman, Woodley with consequent wins, someone to look at. GSP is out of the question for now.

I think Hughes, Usman and Woodley are a pretty clear 2-4 all time, but they are close in terms of their legacies. I think that one is ahead of the other slightly, but the difference isn't like GSP compared to #2 and so on. The margin is closer.

I think Leon with each title defense can make a case for taking over each of those guys. I think if he wins at 300 and then defends again he will take over Woodley. And then if he reaches 5 title defenses he takes over Usman. If he gets another 1-2 after that then I think he clearly takes over Hughes.

I would have Leon at #5 right now behind those guys. I think those two wins over Usman go a long way.

Back