Is Leon Edwards a top 3 WW all time?

GSP

Hughes
Usman
Leon
As annoying as Woodley is, it's hard to argue against him at #4 with his 4 title defenses.

Right now, Edwards is tied with Robbie with 2 title defenses. And I think Robbie's defenses, against Rory and Condit (at the time he fought them) are a bit better than aging Usman and aging Colby who was also on a very long layoff. So I'd say 6, though we can argue over the #5 spot.

Last edited:
As annoying as Woodley is, it's hard to argue against him at #4 with his 4 title defenses.

Right now, Edwards is tied with Robbie with 2 title defenses. And I think Robbie's defenses, against Rory and Condit (at the time he fought them) are a bit better than aging Usman and aging Colby who was also on a very long layoff. So I'd say 6, though we can argue over the #5 spot.
If you are going to downplay the title defenses of Leon, can you not do the same with Woodley?

At this point I have Fitch ahead of him too and grudgingly, Woodley. Back in the GSP/Hughes days WW was fuxking stacked. Lawler? Dayum TS slow down.
Lalwer is for sure ahead of leon, would not entertain otherwise.

Most obviously behind GSP, Hughes, Militich, Marty, Tryon

IMO would arguably geTS finished by IV Hendricks, Just Bleed Robbie, Carl Condit

Leon is passive enough to get decisioned by Runnerup Fitch, Rory Mac, Jack Shields, and Peak Wonderboy… Throw in SF Diaz,

If you are going to downplay the title defenses of Leon, can you not do the same with Woodley?
yes, you can. and it's actually WAY easier.

Thompson 1 -clear robbery
Thompson 2 - Clear draw
Maia - the worst title fight of all time?
Till - Great win at the time, aged very very poorly

Most obviously behind GSP, Hughes, Militich, Marty, Tryon

IMO would arguably geTS finished by IV Hendricks, Just Bleed Robbie, Carl Condit

Leon is passive enough to get decisioned by Runnerup Fitch, Rory Mac, Jack Shields, and Peak Wonderboy… Throw in SF Diaz,
This is a sensible post. Leon is in the right place at the right time. he's not an all time best WW. I too, Would take a prime condit, fitch, shields, macdonald or wonderboy to beat him anytime

Hendricks he could maybe decision if he survives the first 8 mins where hendricks can KO you.

To some extent, but we're still talking 4 defenses vs. 2. And Wonderboy at that time was more legit than Colby on a super long layoff. The Till KO may not have aged too well, but Till does have wins over Wonderboy, Gastelum at MW, went the distance with Whittaker and gave DDP a pretty dang good fight until getting submitted in the last round.

I think we should also consider the STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE, not just the win/loss data... Leon's path in the UFC has been... NOT THAT spectacular, if we are talking in "GOAT" terms... some posters laughed about the idea of Wonderboy being ahead of Leon, but let's take a look at Thompson's UFC schedule, notable opponents:

Matt Brown (as his second (!) UFC fight)
Whittaker
Coté
Ellenberger
Hendricks
MacDonald
Woodley
Woodley
Masvidal
Till
Pettis
Luque
Neal
Burns
Belal
Holland
Shavkat

Sorry, but that's insane. In itself, AND compared to Leon's schedule:

His first 6 (!) fights are 5 nobodies and UFC debutant (!) Usman.
Then he fights Luque, a greener, lesser version of what Thompson faced later.
Barbarena... hmm...
Cerrone
Gunnar
RDA
Belal
Nate Diaz (LW) at his worst, and then:
Usman
Usman
Covington

Yes, RDA is probably his fourth toughest fight... Belal his fifth... and then... well, "not too much cream".

Sorry, but it's... rather THIN... Thompson did beat Whittaker, Coté, Ellenberger, Hendricks, MacDonald, Masvidal, Luque, Neal, Holland, drew with Woodley... this is a heavier win list for me than Leon's... yes, he did lost a bunch, but again, in a THICK, THICK schedule...
Fighting and losing to good fighters doesn't mean shit. If it did, Colby would be on your list, and he's not.

Wonderboy was a fun fighter but he decided to just sit out and beg for title shots that he ended up losing.

Having a draw with a champion and then losing the rematch is not better than beating the champion by decision and then knocking them out in the rematch. Those two are not comparable.

I like Wonderboy but fans like you are so toxic and blind that you turn people off and make fans turn on the guy you're supporting. It's counter productive to do all this mental gymnastics just to make your guy relevant. He's had a great career and really doesn't need you making shit up for him on an Internet forum, okay?

I wouldn't even have him in top #5

GSP, Hughes, Usman, Robbie, Condit, and possibly a couple of others ahead of him (Woodley, Fitch)

Fighting and losing to good fighters doesn't mean shit. If it did, Colby would be on your list, and he's not.

Wonderboy was a fun fighter but he decided to just sit out and beg for title shots that he ended up losing.

Having a draw with a champion and then losing the rematch is not better than beating the champion by decision and then knocking them out in the rematch. Those two are not comparable.

I like Wonderboy but fans like you are so toxic and blind that you turn people off and make fans turn on the guy you're supporting. It's counter productive to do all this mental gymnastics just to make your guy relevant. He's had a great career and really doesn't need you making shit up for him on an Internet forum, okay?
he's 100 percent right though.

he's 100 percent right though.
He's right...that Wonderboy never won a belt and his biggest achievement is having a draw with the champion?

I mean...okay, if you think that makes a GOAT candidate...

I dont think he has surpassed Lawler.. he's probably around Hendricks, Jon Fitch, Carlos Condit area ..

He's right...that Wonderboy never won a belt and his biggest achievement is having a draw with the champion?

I mean...okay, if you think that makes a GOAT candidate...
Leon is also not a goat candidate.

you probably think Nicco Montono is higher on the goat list in her division than Chookagian

Recency bias is definitely a thing. Wait till he wins 2-3 more fights before we can talk about his GOATness.

Back