Is Shogun rua the lhw goat without any asterisk?

Was there anyone better than prime shogun at lhw who wasn't on peds or trt?
I've always had Chuck/Wand tied in 2nd place.

ELO seems to agree with me. Which is shocking lol

I think the top 5 are probably (in alphabetical order) Chuck, Jackson, Jones, Shogun, and Wand. But even if you could find 100 fans who agreed with me on that top 5, I bet no more than 15 would agree with me - or each other - on what order.

1710442836028.png

If rampage was just a little more focused it could've been him. He beat prime Chuck twice and avenged his losses to wandy. But then he would have these poor fights occasionally too. He should've never lost to people like Forrest.

If he didn't have health issues, if others hadn't roided, if he had been motivated and if Saturn was in retrograde he'd beat DC, Jones, Jesus and Superman in the same night.

Ah mma fans, don't ever change... reading comprehension...

Asterisk = PEDs

Jones is out of this conversation.

Still wonder what it would have looked like if he had faced Rashad in his first defense instead of Jones.
Me too.

I think it would've been a great fight but lean Shogun is there's no injury coming in.

I think Shogun v Jones would've been more competitive sans injury too

Shogun was out of his prime before he even fought machida. A close fight (even if you call robbery) against a guy almost 20 pounds smaller than you is a bad look

He had already had 2 knee injuries and looked like shit against a 44 year old semi retired Coleman who gassed in the very first round. He himself gassed and this was where he tore his acl the second time

Then right after the machida rematch he tears his acl a third time and never beats any top guys again, going 3-6 over the next 3 years, 3-5-1 if you consider the first henderson fight a draw
Have you forgotten what a bad ass young machida was? Everyone was having issues with him. Once his chin was gone the rest followed shortly

DCs overall career is better than Shoguns but Shoguns LHW career is better than DCs LHW career.

That is nonsense. Rua beat the best to become the best in two diffferent generations. DC never actually beat the best for his titles unless he made them get eye surgery.

That is nonsense. Rua beat the best to become the best in two diffferent generations. DC never actually beat the best for his titles unless he made them get eye surgery.

DCs overall career was still cleaner. He never lost to anyone like Forrest. He didn't have a bunch of embarassing losses later in his career. He was also a champion in two divisions in two different organizations with elite HW talent.

Shogun is still an all time great fighter and I like him more than I like DC but DC has one of the cleanest legacies ever.

DCs overall career was still cleaner. He never lost to anyone like Forrest. He didn't have a bunch of embarassing losses later in his career. He was also a champion in two divisions in two different organizations with elite HW talent.

Shogun is still an all time great fighter and I like him more than I like DC but DC has one of the cleanest legacies ever.

He's actually got one of the dirtiest. Towel-gate and Stipe eye-gate that's two major incidents that resulted in him stealing titles. Plus he never beat Jones for the title.

If we're talking head to head matchup though yeah, I don't think Rua has much of a chance. But career wise it's not very close.

Was there anyone better than prime shogun at lhw who wasn't on peds or trt?

Prime for prime ... DC easily beats any version of Shogun

Accomplishments ... DC only lost to Jones who is not just arguably the nest of all time p4p but also a massive PED cheat.

LHW DC is the best non Asterix LHW of all time.

Prime Shogun meanwhile was getting bodied by old man Mark Coleman. (Great news he is responsive again btw).

Last edited:
Daniel Cormier is the GOAT without an asterisk.

Prime DC beats Prime Shogun and Prime Wanderlei in UFC rules, no question. I'm not sure he'd beat them in PRIDE rules, though. That makes a big difference.

2005 Shogun was a supernova, he didn't have reach advantage, size advantage, he wasn't a roid head, but he still ran through his competition via stomps & soccer kicks.

tumblr_owyrwsn9bi1qd4esao1_500.gifView attachment 1034289
Shogun GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFERView attachment 1034290
UFC Fight Night 26 complete fighter breakdown, Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua  edition - MMAmania.com'Shogun' Rua  edition - MMAmania.comView attachment 1034291
He's the only 205 guy who's been the best LHW in MMA on 2 separate occasions.
When he won the PRIDE GP, and a few years later, when he healed his injury and beat the invincible undefeated RYOTO by decision & by KO.

Shogun is on the same list as GSP, Gomi or Fedor. Natty warriors without massive weight/height/reach advantages over the rest of their divisions, and they still made it to the top. The MMA Injury Bug: Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua - MMAOddsBreaker'Shogun' Rua - MMAOddsBreakerView attachment 1034288

WAR SHOGUN RUA
UFN 33: Mauricio Rua vs. James Te HunaUFN 33: Mauricio Rua vs. James Te Huna
Technique Recap: Jessamyn Duke, Nate Diaz, Shogun RuaTechnique Recap: Jessamyn Duke, Nate Diaz, Shogun Rua

Natty? Rampage disagrees. Says nearly all of Pride was on PEDs

goat is being used too loosely in mma, no other sports have different names pop up in threads daily claiming goats

there should technically only be 1 goat, with 2-3 potential candidates for contention. that's what make the phrase "greatest of all time" special

having so many fighters claim goats only make the sport look amateur
Every other sport is like 500 years old.
MMA is what 30 years old maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Baker
Back