Is the hooplah around Khabib really proportionate to his fame?

People will point to his fight against Justin not selling well as as an argument against him but will always ignore the fact it was on in the middle of the day And most ppl had no clue about that nore would watch at such timeframe. It still drew over 600k which in this day and age is a great number alone. It it was in prime time in the us the numbers would have been much much higher.
I think they sacrificed ppv numbers for that one to target Khabib's market and fan base. A lot of it had tv contracts so it wasn't necessarily ppv buys they were focused on, that's why the time of the event was geared towards that region.

How ironic ts talks about khabib receiving unwarranted hype despite being undefeated while you have Conor the clown prancing around the lobby shirtless garnering millions of views despite losing many fights and some very embarrassingly after opening his mouth too much.

All I can say is that Conor's cult of personality has won him some young dumb and impressionable fans. Lol

But the fact is that if you receive more hype than most people think you deserve, it's only going to make people develop a dislike for you through no fault of your own, so it's not even good for Khabib. I mean even Lebron got blowback for being too full of himself for The Decision 1.0.

Also I'm not making any assertion about whether anyone's fame is deserved or not, simply the reality of how famous that person is regardless of whether you think they deserve it.

Not really. Khabib is in fact the second biggest star in the sport, recently retired and has one foot in the pool. It's only natural a scumbag like Dana White (also smart business to do so) would be trying to lure him back in.

On top of this the biggest star, Conor McGregor, has also been rather inactive, may retire sooner than later, and is a pain in the ass that knows his worth and probably bends Dana over at the negotiating table more than any UFC fighter in history.

The Rousey cow (no pun intended srs) is long dead. Brock is a desperation move and a one time trick at this point. GSP retired, Jones getting older, no real stars on the horizon and even a personality like Sugar Sean was recently exposed/shit on.

Short answer: Sort of.

But the fact is that if you receive more hype than most people think you deserve, it's only going to make people develop a dislike for you through no fault of your own, so it's not even good for Khabib. I mean even Lebron got blowback for being too full of himself for The Decision 1.0.
Fuck those people. War Khabib.

The guy on your avatar can't stop talking about it so...

He's one of the two biggest stars in the sport.
He's a superstar in the region where UFC currently hosting several events.

Conor changed his bum life, clearly..

What metric tells you that?
Social Share of Voice(mentions), Q Score, social media following. Out of anyone active(so no Anderson/GSP) and especially in their prime(Jon Jones is below in some but fairly equal in other metrics), he's only behind Conor.

Social Share of Voice(mentions), Q Score, social media following. Out of anyone active(so no Anderson/GSP) and especially in their prime(Jon Jones is below in some but fairly equal in other metrics), he's only behind Conor.
None of those speak to him being what you said. Grow up.

I think that’s with anything MMA related, I would argue most people who like Conor don’t even know he’s fighting this weekend

None of those speak to him being what you said. Grow up.
I'm talking about popularity. What are you talking about? And "grow up"? Where is that coming from? Did I insult you earlier or something?

I'm talking about popularity. What are you talking about? And "grow up"? Where is that coming from? Did I insult you earlier or something?
None of those metrics truly speak to popularity. You would know that if you knew anything. Khabibs metrics actually show just how unpopular he is outside of Russia.

None of those metrics truly speak to popularity. You would know that if you knew anything. Khabibs metrics actually show just how unpopular he is outside of Russia.
I live in israel, which is outside russia.
We have no casual mma fans or any combat sport casual fans.
Yet, after khabib choked Porier, everyone around me knows him.

I live in israel, which is outside russia.
We have no casual mma fans or any combat sport casual fans.
Yet, after khabib choked Porier, everyone around me knows him.

But just out of curiosity, why would people in Israel pay special attention to Khabib or his fight with Porier?

Back