Is the hooplah around Khabib really proportionate to his fame?

He's the biggest instagram star in Russia and a gateway to the UAE market.

He is worth much more to the UFC than any fighter including Conor.

Lower ppv's, but much more clout and respect as a fighter and patron to his people.

Islam is the largest religion in the world, he’s Muslim, they tend to support each other

But that may be due to McGregor and their particular relationship, whereas his lastest PPV with Gaethje did not do nearly as well.
It was on in the middle of the day. They weren't catering to the U.S market. If it was on normal time it would have done far better.

But just out of curiosity, why would people in Israel pay special attention to Khabib or his fight with Porier?
The fuck do I know... i dont think porier had anything to do with it. Its just a coincidence that all the popularity came at that point i guess.
obviously beating conor sparked it, and the popularity marinated from then on.

the justin fights was aired on sport tv here.. the fight is literally still streamable for free on their website somehow!

I havent been this shocked since a couple friends back in college asked me “so who wins the philipino or black guy”. i only hear fight sport talk at the mma gym or on sherdog. And even my mma gym not everybody follows the sport...

upload_2021-1-20_8-50-13.png upload_2021-1-20_8-50-36.png upload_2021-1-20_8-50-54.png upload_2021-1-20_8-51-32.png upload_2021-1-20_8-54-27.png upload_2021-1-20_8-55-10.png upload_2021-1-20_8-57-43.png upload_2021-1-20_9-5-50.png upload_2021-1-20_9-8-29.png
upload_2021-1-20_9-26-24.png

That's not exactly a nobody's lifestyle...

Whether he's fighting, retiring, meeting with white or whatever every khabib's news is being talked about in most major medias here in France.

Last edited:
He is the greatest fighter of this era bar none. He also is the most popular Russian Athlete in the world. He is also the most popular Muslim athlete in the world. Khabib is an enigma, he has been perfect, and he has shown zero weaknessess. He is the ultimate human fighter for his size and weight. Of course everything he does is worthy of attention.

He was the main event of the largest selling ppv of all time. No, not really

I did a quick google and is that Conor v Khabib? if so we know who the largest draw was!

All this is marketing 101, Khabib is great maybe in time he will become one of the greatest or leave us wondering/arguing.

I see this thread is really attracting some Khabib diehards / dogmatists.

Last edited:
People will point to his fight against Justin not selling well as as an argument against him but will always ignore the fact it was on in the middle of the day And most ppl had no clue about that nore would watch at such timeframe. It still drew over 600k which in this day and age is a great number alone. It it was in prime time in the us the numbers would have been much much higher.

I am sure the UFC placed it there to maximize the sales. In an covid world it actually should be easier to sell PPV.

Joe Rogan said on his podcast that khabib is the biggest star in combat sports, even bigger than Conor now.

Lol...

Ali
Tyson
Naseem
Zidane
Benzima
Ozil
Mo Salah

Are infinitely more popular than Khabib

Tyson is 'Muslim' but I think he said in his book that he doesn't really practice as much/not devout.

People will point to his fight against Justin not selling well as as an argument against him but will always ignore the fact it was on in the middle of the day And most ppl had no clue about that nore would watch at such timeframe. It still drew over 600k which in this day and age is a great number alone. It it was in prime time in the us the numbers would have been much much higher.

Its about international numbers for a khabib fight. Who cares about fat american slobs.

Back