Is this the greatest losing performance ever?

Thiaggos Santos beating Jones with no knees was pretty impressive.

Dominick Reyes would also like a word.

Really odd that Gus, Santos and Reyes all put on borderline winning performances VS Jones and yet he's still considered the hands down GOAT by most here. But one non-domination by Islam and he sucks now. <YeahOKJen>

I’m thinking much the same. Volk got an L on his record last night, but he’s still a bigtime winner in my book. What a fuckin beast he is!

Rules are rules, and based on them, Islam slightly bested Volk, but had this fight gone 10 rounds, Volk would have drowned him.

If mental gymnastics was an Olympic sport you'd be a hands down multiple gold medal winner. 10 rounds <Dany07>Let's just make ALL fights 10 rounds then and see how well that works.

Yeah I agree.

Volk clearly lost that fight 49-46 or 48-47, but his performance was incredible considering the size disadvantage and how dominant Islam has been with everyone.

Despite the loss his stock went even higher

It was a great performance without a doubt. Was a pretty clear 3-2 win for Islam though, and I'm mildly surprised that so many have a problem with that.

Volk don't forget had a couple of close calls in there like the first Max fight and against Brian Ortega.

Definitely belongs in the elite of the 145/155 shuffle. 145 guys shoul move up more often as the size difference isn't that great.
The second Max fight was the close one. The Ortega fight wasn’t close, Ortega won 1 round and nearly pulled off an epic comeback. Before and after that he was getting shutout.
Edit: I’m an idiot. Close calls, not fights. You are right lol.

Volk showed how to deal with Dagestani wrestling. This could be another tipping point in the evelution of MMA.

Last edited:
If mental gymnastics was an Olympic sport you'd be a hands down multiple gold medal winner. 10 rounds <Dany07>Let's just make ALL fights 10 rounds then and see how well that works.
My point simply was that Islam was worse for wear than Volk was at the end of the fight. I know the rules and I accept them, but keep spinning your narrative.

No apologies needed, I don't see how Islam gets the p4p title after NOT obliterating the smaller guy going up to challenge him, had he smoked Volk and then won a fight at 170 against a top 10 then yeah. p4p n.º1

So Volk loses a fight a weight class up and remains no 1 but Islam would have to beat a welterweight to be no 1? No bias there at all.

Except that Volk won...

...teh judges fooked oop round 4 giving credit for Mak stalling on teh ground wit teh triangle. had that round been scored properly that round would've won teh fight.
They didn't give it to Santos in the Valentina fight. I tend to favor ground control and dominate position but I was told that's why Santos lost the Val fight.

So Volk loses a fight a weight class up and remains no 1 but Islam would have to beat a welterweight to be no 1? No bias there at all.

Defending his a couple more times is also good enough. A weight up would deffo make a statement though and it only needed to be a top 10

Just think its not quite earned yet.

I think it's up there, Volk lost IMO, but his performance was a moral victory as he was going up in weight and the smaller guy, despite being stronger.

Pound for pound, you can argue Volk is higher than Islam, though Islam is incredible, his grappling and striking are solid. People think his takedown threat is what makes his striking look good, but the guy obviously has pretty good striking for someone who was born a wrestler. Same for Volk, Volk is a great grappler for someone who basically focused on Muay Thai as the base.

Volk made islam look like bum

No. He never came close to wining the fight or finishing Islam.

Good grief the manlets are out in force tonight.

He didn't? How are people so delusional islam actually did nothing for 5 rounds he was out struck out grappled stalled an entire 4th round and got hit in the face the entire time ... while doing nothing if it was a real fight to the death little volk would be walking out ready to kill 5 more islams..

images
This is more evidence of the scoring system being flawed than a robbery IMO.
(Not sure if that was intended to be implied but I'll leave the sentiment for those who feel that way)

But i can agree on this being a fight where stock went up in defeat.

Volk beat the absolute shit outta islam in the 5th round, and yes you can win a fight in 1 round.

Back