Is Usman really the WW GOAT?

The Accuser

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Dana said so TWICE in the post fight presser.

I always thought that's pretty clearly GSP, but maybe I am biased. So what's your opinion?`

I will disregard the fact that GSP was a two division champ because technically that bears no impact on his WW legacy (I believe it does, but that can be disputed).

I will not compare the amount of title defenses or the number of championship fight wins because Usman could argue he had to wait longer for a ts.

Just for the record the number of championship fight wins is 12 for GSP and 6 for Usman.

Let's just compare UFC wins at WW:

GSP has 20 wins at WW, Usman has 15.
Both have two losses at WW.

GSP beat every man he ever faced and avenged his two losses in devastating fashion. Usman never avenged his losses against Leon.

GSP beat several fighters who can be in top 10-20 GOAT conversation (BJ, Hughes, Shields). Usman's best wins are Colby and maybe Tyron. Outside these two he spent too much time beating Masvidal.

Seriously, am I overlooking anything or is there not even the slightest argument that Usman has the greater WW legacy than GSP?

Of course he isn't, but whatever happened in the past is irrelevant, it's all about now now now. Dana and UFC brass will say dumb shit like this just to hype up any guy that's not retired yet.

P4sSiqB.jpg

Dana hates GSP + Usman is still active so saying stuff like that might help him promoting his fights a little better, at the end of the day its all just business!

To the UFC GOAT= Any current dominant champ with a few defenses

Not named Aljo

They also call Volk the Featherweight GOAT and they called Holloway the Featherweight GOAT before that. It's kinda gross that the media is all so uneducated and or spineless to even talk back to Lord Pink Goof but it makes sense and is good business to claim whatever is current, is the greatest. They aren't still selling GSP PPVs yaknow? They were selling UFC 294.

People always say "he is just promoting the current guy" but even when Izzy was champ he didn't call him the MW GOAT. I think he truly dislikes GSP.

No, to even think about it is ridicoulous. 4 of his defences are against two mediocre guys in Colby and Masvidal iirc.

9 defenses against different opponents vs 5 defenses with 4 against the same 2 guys. 2 of those defenses being Jorge Masvidal...

15 fight win streak in the UFC is super impressive for Usman but GSP's resume and accomplishments are clearly better.

Also idk if this matters that much but Usman didn't abenge his losses and actually lost twice to a guy he beat in the past (Leon Edwards). GSP avenged both of his losses. Of course it's worth noting GSP retired following a controversial win over Hendricks while possibly still in his prime, Usman is older and has bad knees.

All other things being equal prime GSP decisions prime Usman fairly easily imo so no

No. I very much respect Usman and what he has done in his career but also, GSP exists.

Back