Is Usman really the WW GOAT?

99.9% of sherdogs knows that GSP is the clear undisputed GOAT. How can he be on everyone P4P list, but be below Usman at WW? Dana is simply an hater who never accepted that GSP played his own game instead of his.

Dana said so TWICE in the post fight presser.

I always thought that's pretty clearly GSP, but maybe I am biased. So what's your opinion?`

I will disregard the fact that GSP was a two division champ because technically that bears no impact on his WW legacy (I believe it does, but that can be disputed).

I will not compare the amount of title defenses or the number of championship fight wins because Usman could argue he had to wait longer for a ts.

Just for the record the number of championship fight wins is 12 for GSP and 6 for Usman.

Let's just compare UFC wins at WW:

GSP has 20 wins at WW, Usman has 15.
Both have two losses at WW.

GSP beat every man he ever faced and avenged his two losses in devastating fashion. Usman never avenged his losses against Leon.

GSP beat several fighters who can be in top 10-20 GOAT conversation (BJ, Hughes, Shields). Usman's best wins are Colby and maybe Tyron. Outside these two he spent too much time beating Masvidal.

Seriously, am I overlooking anything or is there not even the slightest argument that Usman has the greater WW legacy than GSP?
You clearly have a bias towards reality. That's unacceptable in Current Year.

From a promoter's perspective, what sells an Usman fight this weekend better, and shines up the winner more, telling the casuals that Usman is the GOAT, or telling them that a guy who's not fighting this weekend is the GOAT?

Usman is definitely the 2nd best WW IMO.

The only fighter to get surpassed on GOAT status was Anderson Silva

The current big 3(big four if you count fedor) is Jon Jones GSP and Adesnya

GSP rode off into the sunset with his legacy, his record and his money intact, Dana hates that

Why do people take what Dana says seriously? His own mother hates him.

Dana and Joe Rogan are the biggest GSP haters
Joe hates these guys the most: GSP, Jan, Stipe

GSP is the GOAT

How to become a Divisional GOAT in MMA.

1) win the title
2) Defend the title more times agaisnt top ranked opponents more times then any champion before you.

Therefore

GSP- 9 title defenses

Usman - 5 title defenses..

That is all

It's marketing hyperbole. It's just like when Rogan says someone's once in a lifetime, or this is the biggest fight ever to every fight. IMO he's #2 no worse than #3.

GSP rode off into the sunset with his legacy, his record and his money intact, Dana hates that
He hates him for cherry picking bisping and vacating the belt instead of fighting whittaker...

Dana said so TWICE in the post fight presser.

I always thought that's pretty clearly GSP, but maybe I am biased. So what's your opinion?`

I will disregard the fact that GSP was a two division champ because technically that bears no impact on his WW legacy (I believe it does, but that can be disputed).

I will not compare the amount of title defenses or the number of championship fight wins because Usman could argue he had to wait longer for a ts.

Just for the record the number of championship fight wins is 12 for GSP and 6 for Usman.

Let's just compare UFC wins at WW:

GSP has 20 wins at WW, Usman has 15.
Both have two losses at WW.

GSP beat every man he ever faced and avenged his two losses in devastating fashion. Usman never avenged his losses against Leon.

GSP beat several fighters who can be in top 10-20 GOAT conversation (BJ, Hughes, Shields). Usman's best wins are Colby and maybe Tyron. Outside these two he spent too much time beating Masvidal.

Seriously, am I overlooking anything or is there not even the slightest argument that Usman has the greater WW legacy than GSP?

GSP is the obvious WW goat sir.

Dana is a piece of garbage that likes to shit on former and current fighters.

Even Kamaru Usman doesn't believe that nonsense.

Dana being Dana.michael-keaton jerk off.gif

There is no debate, it's GSP clear as day.

Dana has long been a GSP hater, ever since he retired with the WW belt, before it was okay to do so. He wanted GSP to stick around after his prime, and allow Dana to build a new generation of fighters off of his name. But GSP was the first fighter to buck that trend and retire on top, and Dana has never forgiven him for it.

Leon himself, at the post-fight press conference, said that he's chasing GSP's legacy. I think that right there is pretty telling.

Leon is closer to surpassing Usman than Usman is to GSP

Back