Media Islam Makhachev fires back at Max Holloway with a reminder

Good, Max wad acting all cocky, I'm glad Islam put him on his place and if Max have any problem he can get his ass whooped by Islam as well.

Seems like you misinterpreted what Max said just like dumbass Islam did. He didn't put anyone in his place Islam's trash talk is too soft.

Don't forget Islam's the one that started the problem...

Im not sour about it and the ONLY way that this fight is meaningful is if Max wins AND stays at 155.

He's in line for a title fight either way. He can face Topuria or wait to face Islam. Or fight Topuria and then Islam. Its meaningful either way.
If Gaethje wins, well, he was next in line after Arman/Charles for a TS anyway.

Gaethje hasn't fought for 8 months and there's a contender ahead of him. He NEEDS to fight. He's 35. Do you want him to waste the little time he has left sitting out like Chandler? Is that what you are proposing?

Islam’s inactivity is a little overblown. 4 months, 8 months, and if he fights in June as rumored 8 months again. Averages out to be about 6.5 months between defenses which is in the same neighborhood as many champions. Few recent examples.

-Oliveira fought on average of 6 months during his reign.
-Volkanovski average of about 6.3 months (including fights against Islam)
-Holloway average of 6 months (including Poirier fight)
-Usman average of 7 months.
-Sterling average 7.5 months.
-Adesanya average of 5 months (including Jan fight)

All generally in the same ballpark with the greatest difference being 1.5 months with a champion most considered especially active. Of course this does hinge on a fight that hasn’t been officially booked yet, but if that does happen, the criticism is misplaced. If Islam remains inactive and only fights once the rest of the year then criticism would be more fair.

I’d love for him (any every champion really) to fight more often and do believe Islam is somewhat unwilling to compromise on timelines. But I don’t think it’s been beyond the pale at this point.

He's in line for a title fight either way. He can face Topuria or wait to face Islam. Or fight Topuria and then Islam. Its meaningful either way.
Max is not getting a TS with just one win at LW, even if it is Gaethje.
Gaethje hasn't fought for 8 months and there's a contender ahead of him. He NEEDS to fight. He's 35. Do you want him to waste the little time he has left sitting out like Chandler? Is that what you are proposing?
Gaethje would likely be fighting in June if he was not booked.

Sitting out like Chandler? Buddy, no one said he should be sitting out for 3 years.

Fact is, when Charles couldn't make it to his TS, Gaethje was next up, the timing was right for a June fight or as Makhachev called for, in March. He wanted to fight at UFC 299 in Miami, it would have worked out well if that had gotten booked.

Max is not getting a TS with just one win at LW, even if it is Gaethje.
Gaethje is ranked no 2, beating him would absolutely earn Max a title fight. He would be behind Charles/Arman winner though.

Gaethje would likely be fighting in June if he was not booked.
Against who? Not for a title.

Sitting out like Chandler? Buddy, no one said he should be sitting out for 3 years.
He hasn't fought in 8 months and there's a contender ahead of him so that means being inactive for a year and a half if he were to wait for a title fight.

Fact is, when Charles couldn't make it to his TS, Gaethje was next up, the timing was right for a June fight or as Makhachev called for, in March. He wanted to fight at UFC 299 in Miami, it would have worked out well if that had gotten booked.
Gaethje doesn't fight on short notice and he's not getting the next title fight. So again, he would be out a year and a half at 35. Facing Max was the right move.

Gaethje is ranked no 2, beating him would absolutely earn Max a title fight. He would be behind Charles/Arman winner though.

Against who? Not for a title.
Islam?
He hasn't fought in 8 months and there's a contender ahead of him so that means being inactive for a year and a half if he were to wait for a title fight.

Gaethje doesn't fight on short notice and he's not getting the next title fight. So again, he would be out a year and a half at 35. Facing Max was the right move.
I didn't say on short notice. I said after Charles failed to make the assigned time and date, he briefly fell out of the #1 contender role and that left Gaethje as the one next in line. Hell, people were calling for Gaethje next even before the rematch between Olives and Islam was scheduled.

Islam suggested UFC 299 in March. Then there is the June card that is likely to happen. Two opportunities that dont involve him waiting too long.

Islam isn't fighting in June.

I didn't say on short notice. I said after Charles failed to make the assigned time and date, he briefly fell out of the #1 contender role and that left Gaethje as the one next in line. Hell, people were calling for Gaethje next even before the rematch between Olives and Islam was scheduled.
Gaethje was never next in line. He could have gotten a title shot had he been willing to jump in on short notice like Volk did but he turned it down.

Islam suggested UFC 299 in March.
How did that go? Islam fights when the UFC wants him to.

Then there is the June card that is likely to happen. Two opportunities that dont involve him waiting too long.
You keep ignoring the fact that Oliveira is ahead of him. Gaethje was looking at a year and a half of inactivity and who knows what would happen after that. He needed to fight, and Max was the best fight to make.

Is clipping him gonna unring that bell? There millions of dollars at stake

He made a very hurtful remark about the number of fights some people had in the last couple of years.

That's all I'm going to say.

Islam isn't fighting in June.

Gaethje was never next in line. He could have gotten a title shot had he been willing to jump in on short notice like Volk did but he turned it down.

You keep ignoring the fact that Oliveira is ahead of him. Gaethje was looking at a year and a half of inactivity and who knows what would happen after that. He needed to fight, and Max was the best fight to make.
My brother in Christ, I am not ignoring the fact the Chuck is currently (and moreso if he wins) ahead of him.

I said when he pulled out of the last Abu Dhabi PPV, Gaethje 100% in front and likely would have gotten it if the UFC managed to make the matchup in March. And if he wasn't booked, probably in June.

How did that go? Islam fights when the UFC wants him to.
Well, yes, obviously it is contingent on if the UFC books the match. Did this need to be said? Of course, if they dont book it then he will be sitting out. We are talking about potential matchups that the UFC could have made.

He made a very hurtful remark about the number of fights some people had in the last couple of years.

That's all I'm going to say.
It's an off-color remark; it was highly inappropriate. You want, I'll demand he's taxed. But strip him? Nope

Excuses, or reasons, for consistently avoiding top contenders is extremely weak. He joins a pitiful select few "champs" that reek of cowardice and must question their own ability to defend the belts against the best in their division.

Recent "real" champion examples from Volk, Izzy, and Usman showed confidence as they valiantly defended their belts from top contenders time after time. They shined with a courage that is totally missing from several that currently "hold" belts and stagnate their own division.

I have a question for ''Ali wrote that'' people
If Ali wrote those tweets then either fighters agree with what Ali say or Ali is the real boss so he can write anything he wants.
Which one is it?
Because i won't be okay with my manager pretending to be me and write something completely different to my personality.

BTW Islam likes talking trash in interviews but you guys probably say ''Islam didn't say that, Ali made him say that by tricking him because his english is not great!''

It doesn’t matter if they give Ali the thumbs up to manage and market them - what matters is that these words aren’t coming from the fighters themselves, and so they’re worthless. You can’t have it both ways - you can’t generate hype for a fight with trash talk but at the same be absolved from any embarrassing consequences when you lose because it wasn’t actually you saying the words. Ali’s words are worthless. He’s an mma grifter who makes it worse to follow UFC/mma with his meaningless words scribbled in broken English. He has a career because he’s a devout Muslim and is correspondence between east and west

My brother in Christ, I am not ignoring the fact the Chuck is currently (and moreso if he wins) ahead of him.

I said when he pulled out of the last Abu Dhabi PPV, Gaethje 100% in front and likely would have gotten it if the UFC managed to make the matchup in March. And if he wasn't booked, probably in June.
Gaethje was never in front. Some people on sherdog wanted him to get a title fight, the UFC never said anything of the sort. He was always behind Oliveira.

And the UFC didn't want Islam in March, they had O'Malley headlining. It was never an option.

Well, yes, obviously it is contingent on if the UFC books the match. Did this need to be said? Of course, if they dont book it then he will be sitting out. We are talking about potential matchups that the UFC could have made.
We are talking about Gaethje v Max being a meaningful fight and Gaethje needing to remain active. You are speculating about shit that was never on the table.

We are talking about Gaethje v Max being a meaningful fight and Gaethje needing to remain active. You are speculating about shit that was never on the table.
Of course it's speculation unless you have some insider knowledge. Its easy to confidently say things were never on the table in hindsight.

Back