News Islam Makhachev vs Alexander Volkanovski 2 set for UFC 294 - Charles Oliveira is OUT!!

Who Wins?

• Total voters
The UFC is going to put Jones in that spot because it serves a purpose for them. Islam or Volkanovski winning probably won't change that.
How the hell did I forget about Jones lol. Swear he doesnt feel like an active fighter feels like he has retired even though his next fight is in a month lol.

No? Volkanovski soundly winning the fifth round in their fight didn't lessen Islam from my perspective.

Nor in mine, but that's not really what I'm getting at.

If the fight ends similarly to the first, or even if Volk gets cleanly outgrappled - I'm with ya. No damage to his legacy, whatsoever.

But I ask about Volk getting outclassed on the feet or caught because, in my opinion, I think that would damage his legacy in kind of the same way that Conor haters bring up the knockdown vs Khabib gif. Like the "gets beat at his own game" argument, despite the obvious threat of TD yadada.

Like, I agree it's extremely unlikely he damages his legacy in this fight, but I also think if he shits the bed it's possible, which makes me hate this for Volk.

UFC didn't even want to put Gamrot in there vs Islam and he's coming off wins. Likely to how they perceive PPV sales with him as the challenger.

Stylistically I get why we want to see the Dariush fight but there's literally 0% chance they'd hand him a title shot when the last time he saw him Oliveira blasted him out of there in under a round.

Right... I said "if it were up to me" (as you were mentioning your own preference in match ups).

I wish they had just made Islam/Beneil in the first place instead of having Charles/Beneil first.

Everything would have been fine.

You think Max would be involved? I'd figure they more likely scrap plans for Allen/Evloev and put one of them up against Topuria, think about if Max wins don't they have to then make Max Volk 4? Surely there's no appetite for that.

Great points and hard to argue, but I was thinking so because Max is a draw in Canada (everywhere, but he has a history there). He has been specifically mentioned by Topuria and, coming off 3 straight wins including all of the potential contenders - Yeah, I think they could possibly be convinced to make Max/Volk 4 over a fight with a guy like Evloev who won't draw.

But I do acknowledge if we were in court, I'd be pretty concerned for my client's life right now haha.

Didn't see it, is Volk Islam 2 actually confirmed already or did he just say fight's been offered? Also some serious questions need to get asked of Charles.
Its confirmed, They Islam and Volk have agreed but they are waiting on Abu Dhabi to confirm and Dana wanted to annouce it tonight but apparently the Oliveira camp leaked it out and He went off on them calling them big mouths and all sorts of words.

Meh. Between this and Blaydes pulling out, the end of the year is shaping up to be pretty disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, their first fight was a lot of fun and was sufficiently competitive that it makes the idea of a rematch interesting on its face, but on less than two weeks' notice? Kinda kills it for me. I want to see two of the best guys in the sport duking it out again when they're at their best coming off full camps. But instead Volk is rolling off the couch, wasn't expecting a fight until January, had surgery a few months ago, and won't have time to properly bulk up. Meanwhile, Islam was preparing for a very different type of challenge in Charles.

I'm sure it'll be fun of course. Alex is a legend for doing this and it'll be crazy if he wins, but... again very meh. What's the point of having a backup fighter in Gamrot if one half of your Main Event falls out and you decide out of the blue not to use your backup fighter? Now you're just arbitrarily fucking up two divisions, lol. Good chance this has serious ramifications for the Topuria bout, too.

Last edited:
Give Beneil the title shot! I wouldn't even be mad.

Sure, he lost to Charles, but Charles is out now and Islam/Beneil should have been the fight anyway. Styles make fights and Beneil has a win over Gamrot!

UFC has a chance to (sort of) undue a fuck up by making Islam/Beneil finally. It's not as ideal because Charles beat Beneil, but Charles is out and I think Beneil is the best choice here.

Unfortunately, I doubt they'll go with Beneil here, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did.
They didnt give him the title shot when he deserved it they def aint doin it now

Back