Izzy vs Prime GSP

filthybliss

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I am curious how yall would see this pan out considering how beloved GSP is on here. I feel like he's never faced anyone as large and agile as Izzy on the feet but at the same time, I could see him pull off some sort of wrestlefucking.

Izzy's takedown defense is at it's best when he's against the cage, because he has crazy long legs which he can spread super wide making it difficult for guys to lock hands. His balance is also great, which is why he's so good at defending single legs. His takedown defense is not so great in open space though, and we've seen him taken down quite often by well timed double legs (Pereira, Whittaker, Vettori). He also tends to give up his back to get back to his feet when taken down (Vettori/Whittaker fights). GSP's double leg timing was maybe the best we've ever seen in MMA, if he could time a good takedown, I could see him taking Izzy's back and locking in a RNC. Izzy hasn't faced a grappler as sharp or well rounded as GSP.

On the other hand, it is also true that GSP has never faced an elite striker this long and precise. I don't think GSP's style of striking would hold up well against Izzy and there's definitely a chance he could get KO'd.

Izzy just isn't as well rounded of a fighter as GSP and I think the Strickland fight proved that a good defense and putting pressure on Izzy can work very well, and a top tier fighter and arguably the most well rounded fighter in his prime could give Izzy a very good run for his money.

GSP is going for TDs in the middle of the octagon where the cage can't save Izzy.

GSP takes him down all night long. 50-45

Back