JACO Guardian Review w/ Pics

I want to purchase a pair but I am not really sure if it is worth it... what is the difference between compression shorts and a normal cup?

The padded version seems to be sold out everywhere! I don't mind paying the extra $10 for the padding (because you can always take them out), but the backordered status is making my want to go with the non-padded version...

Yeah, you might as well. I don't use my pads anyways.

I wanted the pads as well, but the only pairs available are XXL's. I emailed JACO about this and this is their reply:

Hey Casey

The two products are exactly the same as far as the cup system and how it is held in place. We discontinued the side leg pad versio as it was more expensive and very few people were even using the pads on the legs (my self included)

As always if you buy one of our products and you are not fully satisfied, you may return it at no cost to you

Hope this helps

Best
Ron

Sent from my iPhone

I bought the w/o pads and get them in today. I'll use them in boxing and Muay Thai and let you know how they are. I bought these expecting them to not move at all, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the detailed review, Cody.

I have always favored standard cup jocks and avoided compression short cup holders, as the cup doesn't always stay close to my junk and tends to shift too much. I notice that the JACO velcro strips hold the cup from a multitude of angles and appear to be rigid rather than elastic, which should help hold it firmly in place. That is assuming whatever the strips are sticking to does not shift. You should be able to accomplish the same objective with a steel muay thai cup with the non-elastic straps. My question on those would be if the straps dig in and get uncomfortable. My first thought is it would be cheaper to try the steel cup over the JACO first. On the other hand, no amount of money is worth risking poor protection for either the upper or lower brains.

Honestly mate I don't even notice the straps until I actually have to disassemble the thing to put in the wash, would can be a mission at times.

I got the systme a month or two ago and I won't use anything else. Its like nothing is there when Im rolling unless I get a nut check but the only thing that has done is make me jump but no pain. The only thing I had go wrong was the logo's on the legs started coming off after one wash... I emailed Richard Harris in customer service just to let him know about it because it didn't effect the performance or the compression shorts at all. Now this is what makes Jaco the Shiz to me, instead of just sending me new compression shorts he sent me a full new set cup and all, and didn't ask for the old set back. Now that's what I call customer service!!!!!

I got the systme a month or two ago and I won't use anything else. Its like nothing is there when Im rolling unless I get a nut check but the only thing that has done is make me jump but no pain. The only thing I had go wrong was the logo's on the legs started coming off after one wash... I emailed Richard Harris in customer service just to let him know about it because it didn't effect the performance or the compression shorts at all. Now this is what makes Jaco the Shiz to me, instead of just sending me new compression shorts he sent me a full new set cup and all, and didn't ask for the old set back. Now that's what I call customer service!!!!!

indeed jaco customers service is awesome...

and I am going to pick em up right away.

Can you remove the cup and throw in a Nutty Buddy?

Your not supposed to put the Nutty Buddy in a pouch. You are supposed to wear it on the outside of your compression shorts with a Jock holding it in place that's what lallows the nutty buddy to "Float". I had a nutty buddy and it was ok but the edges around the cup dug in to my pelvic bone and groin area when performing armbars or if I was flattened out on my stomach.. I can hardly even feel the Jaco cup is on after about 10 minutes into warm ups.... It is 100 times better than the NB IMO.

Your not supposed to put the Nutty Buddy in a pouch. You are supposed to wear it on the outside of your compression shorts with a Jock holding it in place that's what lallows the nutty buddy to "Float". I had a nutty buddy and it was ok but the edges around the cup dug in to my pelvic bone and groin area when performing armbars or if I was flattened out on my stomach.. I can hardly even feel the Jaco cup is on after about 10 minutes into warm ups.... It is 100 times better than the NB IMO.

Thanks for that, a lot of people have been wondering about the NB vs the Guardian.

Ah I see. Yeah, I use the compression shorts, the buddy and the strap, and then some tight X-Bionic pant over that. It's much better than the Shock doctor, but the NB still moves around way too much.

from everything I've heard about the JACO there shouldn't be any movement.

so just throw it in the washing machine and airdry? sorry im kinda out of it rite now lol

so just throw it in the washing machine and airdry? sorry im kinda out of it rite now lol

Yup. I even throw mine in the dryer for a little bit, pull it when its damp, then let it air dry.

But if you do dry it in the dryer, and it messes the shorts up, don't blame it on me :icon_lol:.

Last edited:
Just got my Jaco's in today. I'll use them for boxing and BJJ today. Can't wait.

I understand what you mean by "it's own system" and the NB can't be used: the cup itself is strapped it. I feel like an astronaut with all the stuff going on.

Just got my Jaco's in today. I'll use them for boxing and BJJ today. Can't wait.

I understand what you mean by "it's own system" and the NB can't be used: the cup itself is strapped it. I feel like an astronaut with all the stuff going on.

Let us know what you think!

Dudes and ladies, the Jaco system is FAR superior than anything I've encountered. Shock Doctor, Nutty Buddy, and the generic sporting store ones are all crap compared to this. I forgot I even had the jaco system on!

I'll get a comparison review up soon. I might have to use my iPhone tho, because I had to send my camera in for repair :(

Dudes and ladies, the Jaco system is FAR superior than anything I've encountered. Shock Doctor, Nutty Buddy, and the generic sporting store ones are all crap compared to this. I forgot I even had the jaco system on!

I'll get a comparison review up soon. I might have to use my iPhone tho, because I had to send my camera in for repair :(

Good to hear you like em! I mean, love em :p

So I emailed NB about returning the product. They inquired about why I want to return it. I told them the Jaco cup is better for MMA. They say, "want to try out our answer to the Jaco cup?" I say "YAY."

So hopefully in the coming months I'll provide a review to the all new Cup Caddy system!

Until then, my Jaco is staying. :)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 6:59 AM
To: NuttyBuddy
Subject: NuttyBuddy Contact

NuttyBuddy Contact Form Submission:
--------------------
Name from....: Casey --------
Email from...: [email protected]
Message......: I purchased this product for martial arts however it did not
suit my needs. I will give further details should it be requested. What is
the return policy? Will S&H both ways be taken care of by Nutty Buddy?
Submit.......: Submit

--------------------
REMOTE IP :
DATE/TIME : 2010-07-01 06:58:57

>>>>>

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Curtis Hornaday <[email protected]> wrote:

Casey,

I'm sorry to hear that. What was it that you did not like about the cup?
You can return the product if it has been ordered in the last 30 days. All
you need to do is send it to that address at the bottom of your invoice with
a note stating you would like to return the product. NuttyBuddy does not
cover the shipping for returned or exchanged products.

Curtis J. Hornaday

1-877-NuttyBuddy
(602) 474-9522 - Office

>>>>>>>

Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 10:09 AM
To: Curtis Hornaday
Subject: Re: NuttyBuddy Contact

Curtis,

The cup itself is an amazing piece of work. The posts on Sherdog highly recommend it, and the SportScience vid of the CEO himself taking one to the goods sold me on the product. However, the issue is not that it's almost indestructable, the problem is that the cup moves around too much during martial arts.

I use the recommended system: compression shorts, cup, and then jock strap over the cup, and every combo in between. The layered system is an improvement, however, the cup still moves around too much for me. I do Muay Thai, ballet, boxing, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, so my routine is dynamic in movement: high kicks, jump squats, rolling, and grappling all require a cup just as dynamic as my training. I've used the Jaco Guardian (Jaco Clothing :: MMA Protective Gear :: Guardian Protective Cup System (no pads)) and I found it to be perfect: it doesn't budge at all.

I suppose if you wanted customer recommendations on product improval then mine would be this: if you're willing to open up your consumer base to the martials arts community then you need to develop a cup that wasn't motivated by movements in baseball (standing, running, squatting--if you're a catcher or ump). The Jaco systems secret isn't the cup: the cup itself is nowhere near as awesome as the Nutty Buddy and it's pelvic energy distrubution. The Jaco system is in the shorts: there are 6 velcro straps used to adjust the shorts to contour to your body, including two straps attached to the cup itself. Even rolling around during Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu this cup didn't even move ONCE. I never had to adjust myself. If Nutty Buddy created a cup with these velcro loops and designed a contour short to accomodate the new cup then I'd most definitely stick with you guys. And I know your company can do it: it's dedicated to protecting the goods. Jaco is just a clothing company. Using the pelvis to absorb energy is genius. I believe your company can go beyond the Jaco system and make something even more comfortable ( the Jaco cup digs into my groin, but it doesn't move).

I love the name, I love the product, and I love the science behind it. Believe me, I WANT to use the NB, but the protection of my lingeage is far more important than brand identity.

I provided a rather extensive review of the product as a way to show that the product is great, but does not suit my needs on the mat or in the ring, or on the dance floor (ha). Regardless, if you heed some words then I beleive this issue would readily be resolved.
>>>>

- Hide quoted text -
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Curtis Hornaday <[email protected]> wrote:

Casey,

You&#8217;re the man! I really appreciate the feedback. We have been developing what we like to call the &#8220;Cup Caddy&#8221; for almost a year now. Because the design of the cup is so complex and the way it is worn we are having tons of trouble making it work and still providing the most comfort and protection on the market. As for the cup moving around, we have had some of our MMA guys wearing the cup with two jocks overtop for some added support. Try this out and see if that helps at all. If you wouldn&#8217;t mind I&#8217;d like to contact you when we do get our Cup Caddy figured out and possibly have you test it out for us. Again Casey, thank you for all the information and we&#8217;ll be in touch.

Curtis J. Hornaday

1-877-NuttyBuddy

(602) 474-9522 - Office
>>>>
Curtis,

Thanks for the feedback. Concerning your request to test the Cup Caddy, all I can say is that I feel honored to be considered. Again, I love your philosophies (funny names and real science) and I feel any input that I could provide to help your company out would be an honor. I really do take pride in providing honest and relevant information to the Sherdog community, so to provide the same to an actual company would be sweet.

As far as the dual jock straps goes, I am politely declining. Whenever I go to the restroom I have to readjust the entire layered system from the ground up --it's not just a pull up and snap on kinda deal. I don't see another jock strap helping the convenience factor. For now the Jaco holds the trump card in both lack of movement and ease of use.

Nonetheless, send me that beta version and I'll use it in every venue I can. I think ballet and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are the perfect proving grounds to try out a new cup. I'm sure the guys at Sherdog will be excited to hear you're listening to the MMA crowd.

------
--------, AZ -----
-----.----------(Mobile / Main)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 6:59 AM
To: NuttyBuddy
Subject: NuttyBuddy Contact

NuttyBuddy Contact Form Submission:
--------------------
Name from....: Casey --------
Email from...: [email protected]
Message......: I purchased this product for martial arts however it did not
suit my needs. I will give further details should it be requested. What is
the return policy? Will S&H both ways be taken care of by Nutty Buddy?
Submit.......: Submit

--------------------
REMOTE IP :
DATE/TIME : 2010-07-01 06:58:57

>>>>>

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Curtis Hornaday <[email protected]> wrote:

Casey,

I'm sorry to hear that. What was it that you did not like about the cup?
You can return the product if it has been ordered in the last 30 days. All
you need to do is send it to that address at the bottom of your invoice with
a note stating you would like to return the product. NuttyBuddy does not
cover the shipping for returned or exchanged products.

Curtis J. Hornaday

1-877-NuttyBuddy
(602) 474-9522 - Office

>>>>>>>

Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 10:09 AM
To: Curtis Hornaday
Subject: Re: NuttyBuddy Contact

Curtis,

The cup itself is an amazing piece of work. The posts on Sherdog highly recommend it, and the SportScience vid of the CEO himself taking one to the goods sold me on the product. However, the issue is not that it's almost indestructable, the problem is that the cup moves around too much during martial arts.

I use the recommended system: compression shorts, cup, and then jock strap over the cup, and every combo in between. The layered system is an improvement, however, the cup still moves around too much for me. I do Muay Thai, ballet, boxing, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, so my routine is dynamic in movement: high kicks, jump squats, rolling, and grappling all require a cup just as dynamic as my training. I've used the Jaco Guardian (Jaco Clothing :: MMA Protective Gear :: Guardian Protective Cup System (no pads)) and I found it to be perfect: it doesn't budge at all.

I suppose if you wanted customer recommendations on product improval then mine would be this: if you're willing to open up your consumer base to the martials arts community then you need to develop a cup that wasn't motivated by movements in baseball (standing, running, squatting--if you're a catcher or ump). The Jaco systems secret isn't the cup: the cup itself is nowhere near as awesome as the Nutty Buddy and it's pelvic energy distrubution. The Jaco system is in the shorts: there are 6 velcro straps used to adjust the shorts to contour to your body, including two straps attached to the cup itself. Even rolling around during Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu this cup didn't even move ONCE. I never had to adjust myself. If Nutty Buddy created a cup with these velcro loops and designed a contour short to accomodate the new cup then I'd most definitely stick with you guys. And I know your company can do it: it's dedicated to protecting the goods. Jaco is just a clothing company. Using the pelvis to absorb energy is genius. I believe your company can go beyond the Jaco system and make something even more comfortable ( the Jaco cup digs into my groin, but it doesn't move).

I love the name, I love the product, and I love the science behind it. Believe me, I WANT to use the NB, but the protection of my lingeage is far more important than brand identity.

I provided a rather extensive review of the product as a way to show that the product is great, but does not suit my needs on the mat or in the ring, or on the dance floor (ha). Regardless, if you heed some words then I beleive this issue would readily be resolved.
>>>>

- Hide quoted text -
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Curtis Hornaday <[email protected]> wrote:

Casey,

You&#8217;re the man! I really appreciate the feedback. We have been developing what we like to call the &#8220;Cup Caddy&#8221; for almost a year now. Because the design of the cup is so complex and the way it is worn we are having tons of trouble making it work and still providing the most comfort and protection on the market. As for the cup moving around, we have had some of our MMA guys wearing the cup with two jocks overtop for some added support. Try this out and see if that helps at all. If you wouldn&#8217;t mind I&#8217;d like to contact you when we do get our Cup Caddy figured out and possibly have you test it out for us. Again Casey, thank you for all the information and we&#8217;ll be in touch.

Curtis J. Hornaday

1-877-NuttyBuddy

(602) 474-9522 - Office
>>>>
Curtis,

Thanks for the feedback. Concerning your request to test the Cup Caddy, all I can say is that I feel honored to be considered. Again, I love your philosophies (funny names and real science) and I feel any input that I could provide to help your company out would be an honor. I really do take pride in providing honest and relevant information to the Sherdog community, so to provide the same to an actual company would be sweet.

As far as the dual jock straps goes, I am politely declining. Whenever I go to the restroom I have to readjust the entire layered system from the ground up --it's not just a pull up and snap on kinda deal. I don't see another jock strap helping the convenience factor. For now the Jaco holds the trump card in both lack of movement and ease of use.

Nonetheless, send me that beta version and I'll use it in every venue I can. I think ballet and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are the perfect proving grounds to try out a new cup. I'm sure the guys at Sherdog will be excited to hear you're listening to the MMA crowd.

------
--------, AZ -----
-----.----------(Mobile / Main)

NICE!!!!

My problem with the NB was not so much the movement but how uncomfortable it was when something was pressing against it like performing armbars and such or just lying on my stomach.. The edges would dig in to my pelvic bone and groin area. Good luck with the Beta NB and let me know how it works because I still have my NB...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brady12Gronk87
Back