Jamahal Hill says UFC guaranteeing title fight upon his return(Alex calls out Izzy)

Will he get his title fight?

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-11-9_14-36-43.png

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight king Jamahal Hill is confident he will face the winner of the upcoming UFC 295 vacant title fight between Jiri Prochazka and Alex Pereira next year.

Hill (12-1) vacated the title after suffering a torn Achilles tendon during a pickup basketball game in July. The American was the second consecutive UFC light heavyweight champ to vacate the strap after Prochazka (29-3) needed shoulder surgery following his title victory.

While Hill admits that he was inclined to retain the title until he could recover and return to action, vacating was the right thing to do under the circumstances. “Sweet Dreams” also claimed that Prochazka didn’t vacate the strap before him out of benevolence as was initially advertised.

According to Hill, it was “heavily suggested” to Prochazka, who has also previously admitted that he didn't relinquish the belt of his own volition.

“Originally when it happened, that was my first thought [to hold onto the title], but the thing is they had a deal already in place with Jiri,” the 32-year-old recently told MMA Fighting. “Jiri didn’t just vacate his title. He wasn’t just being a samurai and vacating his title. It was heavily suggested [he should vacate]. There was a deal made where he would fight for it upon his return.”

“So, whenever you get me and then I get hurt, we were supposed to fight, and I have the belt, and he’s promised a title fight. It was just kind of right to do the same thing.”

Having undergone surgery with renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache, Hill is making a steady recovery and expects to return to training early next year.

“Sweet Dreams” is targeting a return to the Octagon in the second quarter of 2024, for which he claims he has been guaranteed a title fight, champion purse and pay-per-view shares.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/J...aranteeing-Title-Fight-Upon-His-Return-191662

Poll Added
giphy.gif

Him against either Jiri or Alex will be a fun fight. He should certainly get his shot in 2024.

He should get his shot yeah but who knows who the champ will be by then. I can't imagine he'll be ready to fight any sooner than August. Would be a bad idea to put the champ on ice 6+ months to wait for Jamahal.

The Jiri vs Alex winner should be able to get one title defense in during the first half of 2024 imo.

Last edited:
I'd think he would.
1) He was the champ and didn't have anything shitty to say about the UFC.
2) He acted business first just like Jiri in handing off the title as soon as he was unable to defend, I think the UFC likes that as they just love title fights.
3) Who else would you give it to? Ank? Dude's terrible performances and dumb fight IQ cost him what should probably be his, dude can wait and get his shit together. Jiri and Alex are already fighting. Jan just lost to Jiri.

Meanwhile we have Jon Jones, champ of HW, only willing to fight Stipe while he hangs on to a belt he won 8 months ago and now isn't expected back until Q3 2024. Gotta do something to promote the behaviour of guys like Jiri and Hill.

Last edited:
It’ll probably be offered but not with a full camp etc. ‘Late notice replacement’ type BS. And if he doesn’t take it….. then he won’t get another chance.

Hill better learn how to wait.

Hypothetically let’s say Alex wins, you know the UFC are salivating at that Izzy rematch. These fighters who make contracts on “guaranteed” title shots are as gullible as they come

As he should. Looking forward to seeing him fight for the strap.

Right now I don't see a lot of fighters that would be pushed above him, the obvious contender, like happens in other divisions, but if he pisses off Dana by contradicting the UFC's narrative he might be pushed aside for awhile.

Who else is there at LHW <{1-10}>

The champ should be able to fit in a title defense against the Ankalaev vs Walker 2 winner sometime in the first half of 2024. I think that rematch will happen within the next 3 months.

Back