Media Jamie Varner not a fan of Laura Sanko's commentary

There were 11 fights on the card. Sanko was the second fight and Varner was the main event. Why would Varner be warming up roughly 5 hours before his fight?
Maybe one of his training partners was fighting on the prelims.

Maybe he was hitting on Sanko.

Might explain the salt TBH.

Last edited:
That’s the job of the color commentator though. They aren’t supposed to call the action as it’s happening, they’re supposed to analyze it and present strategies. If they aren’t doing that then there is no point to have a second or third commentator.

They can just use one announcer like Colonel Bob Sheridan.
RIP Colonel Bob.

So when did he start warming up?

She was probably warming up before he even made it out of the hotel.

I’ll let you in on a little secret( not really a secret)

Seasoned vets who have already fought on the big stage, doesn’t take these regional mma promotions seriously.

I was cornering a friend for on one of these promotions, and he was fighting former utc fighter Brandon Davis. My friend showed up to the weigh ins like half way through, and Brandon Davis didn’t even make weigh ins and just sent a picture of his weight from the hotel room because he didn’t feel like sitting in traffic to go to it.

So we all know Varner is a dick, and at this time, probably thought he was still the shit, so no way his ass didn’t even show up until after the main card started

So we all know Varner is a dick, and at this time, probably thought he was still the shit, so no way his ass didn’t even show up until after the main card started
Maybe he had a training partner on the undercard

The funniest part is she fought on the same card as him lol. Of course I don’t think Varner has the brain cells to remember some random soccer mom fight
Why would you remember everyone who fought on the same night as you did in some regional promotion???

She was probably warming up before he even made it out of the hotel.

I’ll let you in on a little secret( not really a secret)

Seasoned vets who have already fought on the big stage, doesn’t take these regional mma promotions seriously.

I was cornering a friend for on one of these promotions, and he was fighting former utc fighter Brandon Davis. My friend showed up to the weigh ins like half way through, and Brandon Davis didn’t even make weigh ins and just sent a picture of his weight from the hotel room because he didn’t feel like sitting in traffic to go to it.

Oh I thought you knew when he actually got there and started warming up.

Pretty low IQ commenting from Varner. Sucks because I'm actually a fan of his and thought he was a hell of a lot better fighter than what people realized.

Lol... Yes Varner was elite for a time, and frankly I think WEC Varner, Benson, Pettis and Cerrone would have all lit up BJ Penn during those WEC years.

But Varner has always been edgy & his post career infirmities (CTE) are pretty well known.. Sanko took the high road in her response as is her usual.

WMMA is mostly horrific, but as for commentating I have no issue with someone not having a tremendous amount, or even zero, fight experience. I like Rogan, but he never competed in wrestling, MMA, or BJJ. Did some karate as far as I know and trained in the others, but there is a big difference in training versus competing. I like her, plus she is nice to look at. I'm onboard with Sanko as part of the commentating team. Varner probably has some insight into how bad she was within the sport which might make it tough for him to take her seriously.
He has a black belt in bjj and competed and won some National Tae Kwondo Championship at 19. Not sure how prestigious the latter is, but he has competed.

I think she's fine. This is always going to be an issue with her commentating and I'm sure she knows it. The male commentators get shit too. Even the ones who were champions. She will be fine.

Joe Rogan has never even competed in one BJJ tournament. He has less MMA fights than Sanko.

He has a black belt in bjj and competed and won some National Tae Kwondo Championship at 19. Not sure how prestigious the latter is, but he has competed.

Well aware of his Karate competition as he talks about it endlessly but that hardly translates to today's professional MMA in my opinion.

More importantly he has never put his belt to the test, telling. Note that in general, I like Joe.

Goldberg and Rogan didnt either so what hes sayin dont make any sense anyway
Goldberg and Anik are not doing the same job as the other guys are. They are the play by play guys. The ex fighters are the color guys.

Play by play commentators have a very different job, and it's way more difficult. They have to know everything and steer the whole event.

Well aware of his Karate competition as he talks about it endlessly but that hardly translates to today's professional MMA in my opinion.

More importantly he has never put his belt to the test, telling. Note that in general, I like Joe.

I like Joe too, and I generally like his commentary, although he hasn't been as good recently.

I agree 100% about his status as an ex fighter. It's always been weird to me that he never competed once in BJJ.

She definitely got bit of a woman's complex going though trying to make sure everyone knows she trains in every other sentence. "The guys at the gym.." "I've trained with this guy.." "You know how it is after a training session.."

Or she's doing her job by getting to know prospects and training with them so she can provide insight. As opposed to DC having no clue who the people on the prelims are.

Goldberg and Anik are not doing the same job as the other guys are. They are the play by play guys. The ex fighters are the color guys.

Play by play commentators have a very different job, and it's way more difficult. They have to know everything and steer the whole event.
The MMA version of play by play is very different from other sports. Goldie did it for years without being very knowledgeable about the sport.

Back