Media Jamie Varner not a fan of Laura Sanko's commentary

Looks like a drunk rant.

Sanko trains Bjj. She knows enough. She’s not that bad. DC sounds drunk 90% of the time. They always take subtle jabs at each other. I think she had good chemistry with her co workers. And not every commentator has fought. Like Joe Rogan. Why doesn’t he spazz about Rogan?

Idk. I’m calling this a drunk rant with suppressed sexism. Lmfao.

Varner was up 3-1 on the scorecards going into round 5. Cerrone needed a finish to win, or a 10-8 round 5 to get a draw.
And yet he quit. Seems like points don’t matter when you’re tired or breaking. But it’s hard for me to criticize him when he’s been there fighting cerrone for 5 rounds. But yeah it’s the truth he did act his way out of that one

She was probably warming up before he even made it out of the hotel.

I’ll let you in on a little secret( not really a secret)

Seasoned vets who have already fought on the big stage, doesn’t take these regional mma promotions seriously.

I was cornering a friend for on one of these promotions, and he was fighting former utc fighter Brandon Davis. My friend showed up to the weigh ins like half way through, and Brandon Davis didn’t even make weigh ins and just sent a picture of his weight from the hotel room because he didn’t feel like sitting in traffic to go to it.

So we all know Varner is a dick, and at this time, probably thought he was still the shit, so no way his ass didn’t even show up until after the main card started
That may be true of unprofessional Brandon Davis but that is not my experience with all seasoned vets. They do look down on these regionals, but some are actually professionals about their job

Retired undefeated just like Khabib. Arguably the GOAT IMO. Varner should hespect someone that retired with a 0 for losses on their MMA record, unlike this double-digit loss journeyman.

Setting aside that she has more experience fighting than Anik, Fitzgerald, and Gooden, do you really need to have been a pro fighter to suppose that shooting blast doubles outta the gate might fatigue you quicker than not committing all out for tds in a fight that could go 15 mins? Not sure what exactly the context he's referring to is tbf, but id expect a more egregious example to match his frustration.

'Sprinting the first minute of a mile might be tiring'

'Shut up bitch, you never raced in the Olympics'
"That had to have hurt"

No. Just no. If you've never been head kicked you don't know if it hurts or not.

Unless you think Cowboy was going to get a finish in the last minute of that fight Varner wasn’t going to lose. Even if you give Cowboy the last round (2/3 judges actually scored the partial round for Varner) Varner was still going to win by split decision.

He also faked a torn retina (claimed it in the cage)
and his training partners called him out (weeks later) for continuing the lie.
This happened. Varner always had an issue with his fuckin' mouth exactly like Chael & Colby.
Winning/losing rounds has ZERO to do with him faking that injury.

The original Aljo.

<WellThere>

Varner is, and was, a fuckin goof.

He also faked a torn retina (claimed it in the cage) and his training partners called him out (weeks later) for continuing the lie. This happened. Varner always had an issue with his fuckin' mouth exactly like Chael & Colby. Winning/losing rounds has ZERO to do with him faking that injury. The original Aljo. Varner is, and was, a fuckin goof.
He also faked a torn retina (claimed it in the cage) and his training partners called him out (weeks later) for continuing the lie. This happened. Varner always had an issue with his fuckin' mouth exactly like Chael & Colby. Winning/losing rounds has ZERO to do with him faking that injury. The original Aljo. Varner is, and was, a fuckin goof.
This happened. Varner always had an issue with his fuckin' mouth exactly like Chael & Colby.

The original Aljo.

<WellThere>

The original Aljo.

<WellThere>

I’m simply stating facts because the narrative has somehow shifted to Varner quit because he was going to lose when that wasn’t the case.

I’m simply stating facts because the narrative has somehow shifted to Varner quit because he was going to lose when that wasn’t the case.

Ohhh gotchya, yeah that was not intended ...

Varner was a known liar & exaggerated speaker.

Said it to his face in the past, and will say it online.
Dude fuckin' lied about the "detached retina" among many, many other things.

Alan Jouban, who serves as a color commentator for LFA and works as an analyst for the UFC, understands that it’s inevitable you’ll eventually face negative remarks when doing that particular job. That being said, Jouban disagrees with Varner’s assessment, especially about Sanko’s knowledge of the sport and her supposed lack of experience as a fighter.

“I think Varner, he’s focusing on the wrong things too much,” Jouban explained on the latest episode of The Fighter vs. The Writer. “What do you know about a blast double? How many times have you shot a blast double? She knows! She grapples. Maybe that’s not her go-to move, but she’s educated enough to speak on the fact and I think he got a little off track. Everybody has certain people that they like more or don’t like more, but to come out publicly and speak so harshly on it, it’s a bad move by Jamie.

“She’s very educated and she speaks so well, and she does have the background to back it up. The problem is what Jamie Varner is focusing too much on is that, look, maybe she wasn’t a blast double type of fighter, but she still fought. That doesn’t mean you can’t know what it’s like or [have] an educated opinion on it having been around the sport for so long. I wasn’t a blast double guy either. But if I see a blast double, I know how to speak on it, and that’s what Laura’s doing.”

Whether it’s Varner or someone else, Jouban accepts that nobody escapes harsh comments when calling fights. Fans have their favorites, and what appeases one person may irritate another.

Jouban knows from personal experience that it’s impossible to please the entire crowd, but unlike his fight career, he does take those comments to heart a little bit more.

That’s likely the same for Sanko as she continues to learn and grown as a color commentator — and the only woman currently working in that capacity for the UFC.

“You’re going to get criticized every time,” Jouban said. “You’re not going to win over every fan. A lot of fans have their favorites, and when they don’t have their favorite [and] one of their least favorites are commentating, they’re going to criticize, and you see that quite a bit in this sport. The best thing to do is to just stay away from it, but it’s impossible not to look and see, especially when we’re talking about your career, something like this. It was much easier as a fighter. If somebody criticized me about fighting, ‘oh, this dude sucks, he’s going to get wiped out, this guy’s going to get knocked out,’ that’s because they don’t like me or whatever."

“But when you go out there and you study and you train and you call a fight, and your job is to build these fighters, to make this event not about you but about the fighter, and make this exciting, and also give your educated opinion on certain areas to help kind of guide the audience through these fights with you, you’re telling a story and you want them to come along on the story with you. But the whole time, the focus is the star of the show, is the fighters. That’s all that we’re trying to do, but you don’t always make everybody happy in these things.”

Beyond her work as a color commentator, Jouban also praised Sanko for the work she’s done in other facets since joining the UFC broadcast team. Sanko originally started as a backstage interviewer and now wears many hats, including her more recent gig as a color commentator.

Jouban believes that makes her even more valuable to the promotion.

“Laura’s a unicorn for the UFC,” Jouban said. “That’s why they love her. That’s why [executive producer] Zach Candito puts her on so many jobs. Because how many of us that do this can do color commentary, can do the desk job post and pre-fight show, can do sideline reporting, can do interviews backstage, and also has a great personality? [She] can go do the weigh-in show with [Daniel Cormier] and hold her own against former champions drinking beer in a very guy-oriented environment and hold her own. She can do all these jobs and hang with everybody."

“She’s like a utility knife of this type of job. They can put her anywhere and she’ll be able to do a great job. That’s why she’s always constantly on TV, because she can do it all. She really can.”

As far as Varner goes, Jouban won’t tell anyone how they should feel. He just believes the UFC and WEC veteran went about it the wrong way with how he took aim at Sanko this past weekend.

Jouban can’t promise he would have reacted in similar fashion, but he appreciates that Sanko was so gracious with her response.

“Obviously, Laura wasn’t one of Jamie Varner’s favorite commentators,” Jouban said. “He found an event that he just got his phone in his hand and said, ‘I’m going to go off on her.’ It was the wrong move. It was a bad move by him."

“She took a very classy route. That was tough to do. Credit to her. I’ll see if I can take the high road when I get that criticism one day.”

Alan Jouban, who serves as a color commentator for LFA and works as an analyst for the UFC, understands that it’s inevitable you’ll eventually face negative remarks when doing that particular job. That being said, Jouban disagrees with Varner’s assessment, especially about Sanko’s knowledge of the sport and her supposed lack of experience as a fighter.

“I think Varner, he’s focusing on the wrong things too much,” Jouban explained on the latest episode of The Fighter vs. The Writer. “What do you know about a blast double? How many times have you shot a blast double? She knows! She grapples. Maybe that’s not her go-to move, but she’s educated enough to speak on the fact and I think he got a little off track. Everybody has certain people that they like more or don’t like more, but to come out publicly and speak so harshly on it, it’s a bad move by Jamie.

“She’s very educated and she speaks so well, and she does have the background to back it up. The problem is what Jamie Varner is focusing too much on is that, look, maybe she wasn’t a blast double type of fighter, but she still fought. That doesn’t mean you can’t know what it’s like or [have] an educated opinion on it having been around the sport for so long. I wasn’t a blast double guy either. But if I see a blast double, I know how to speak on it, and that’s what Laura’s doing.”

Whether it’s Varner or someone else, Jouban accepts that nobody escapes harsh comments when calling fights. Fans have their favorites, and what appeases one person may irritate another.

Jouban knows from personal experience that it’s impossible to please the entire crowd, but unlike his fight career, he does take those comments to heart a little bit more.

That’s likely the same for Sanko as she continues to learn and grown as a color commentator — and the only woman currently working in that capacity for the UFC.

“You’re going to get criticized every time,” Jouban said. “You’re not going to win over every fan. A lot of fans have their favorites, and when they don’t have their favorite [and] one of their least favorites are commentating, they’re going to criticize, and you see that quite a bit in this sport. The best thing to do is to just stay away from it, but it’s impossible not to look and see, especially when we’re talking about your career, something like this. It was much easier as a fighter. If somebody criticized me about fighting, ‘oh, this dude sucks, he’s going to get wiped out, this guy’s going to get knocked out,’ that’s because they don’t like me or whatever."

“But when you go out there and you study and you train and you call a fight, and your job is to build these fighters, to make this event not about you but about the fighter, and make this exciting, and also give your educated opinion on certain areas to help kind of guide the audience through these fights with you, you’re telling a story and you want them to come along on the story with you. But the whole time, the focus is the star of the show, is the fighters. That’s all that we’re trying to do, but you don’t always make everybody happy in these things.”

Beyond her work as a color commentator, Jouban also praised Sanko for the work she’s done in other facets since joining the UFC broadcast team. Sanko originally started as a backstage interviewer and now wears many hats, including her more recent gig as a color commentator.

Jouban believes that makes her even more valuable to the promotion.

“Laura’s a unicorn for the UFC,” Jouban said. “That’s why they love her. That’s why [executive producer] Zach Candito puts her on so many jobs. Because how many of us that do this can do color commentary, can do the desk job post and pre-fight show, can do sideline reporting, can do interviews backstage, and also has a great personality? [She] can go do the weigh-in show with [Daniel Cormier] and hold her own against former champions drinking beer in a very guy-oriented environment and hold her own. She can do all these jobs and hang with everybody."

“She’s like a utility knife of this type of job. They can put her anywhere and she’ll be able to do a great job. That’s why she’s always constantly on TV, because she can do it all. She really can.”

As far as Varner goes, Jouban won’t tell anyone how they should feel. He just believes the UFC and WEC veteran went about it the wrong way with how he took aim at Sanko this past weekend.

Jouban can’t promise he would have reacted in similar fashion, but he appreciates that Sanko was so gracious with her response.

“Obviously, Laura wasn’t one of Jamie Varner’s favorite commentators,” Jouban said. “He found an event that he just got his phone in his hand and said, ‘I’m going to go off on her.’ It was the wrong move. It was a bad move by him."

“She took a very classy route. That was tough to do. Credit to her. I’ll see if I can take the high road when I get that criticism one day.”

Jobain proves in his own response that he needs to shut up.

As he correctly states that EVERY commentator/ broadcaster/ "expert" is going to get criticized.

No White Knighting / simping for Sanko -- Let Sanko handle her own business.

People go after DC about crying, fatness, crappy diet, KTFO'd, towel-gate, etc. He doesn't need defenders.

That may be true of unprofessional Brandon Davis but that is not my experience with all seasoned vets. They do look down on these regionals, but some are actually professionals about their job
I never said all.

But I will say more than not. Especially when it’s those type of promotions

Jobain proves in his own response that he needs to shut up.

As he correctly states that EVERY commentator/ broadcaster/ "expert" is going to get criticized.

No White Knighting / simping for Sanko -- Let Sanko handle her own business.

People go after DC about crying, fatness, crappy diet, KTFO'd, towel-gate, etc. He doesn't need defenders.
Where's the logic in applying that to the critics though? Sure, getting shit from people is inevitable, but that doesn't mean the people who give shit should be treated like they are a required part of the formula.

If he didn't want to be ganged up, the onus of responsibility is on him to not be dumb. Ironically, by your logic, aren't his own statements up to criticism, and then his defenders need to shut up?

Action: Varner said something stupid. Reaction: People told him he was stupid. Everyone was free to engage or disengage at their own leisure, but only one person in this equation was an asshole for no reason.

Also, DC is fat and cheated. Some people pick criticisms backed by some objective measure. Varner can't defend his own obvious bullshit when his immediate example about blast doubles is so obviously disprovably wrong.

If I sat here and said I think hats are dumb because they make my feet feel cold by comparison, you should rightly tell me that's fucking stupid, even if it is my opinion

Back