Opinion Jimmy Kimmel declares US Cities are “filthy and disgusting” after a recent trip to Japan

Did you post it in the wrong thread? You blurted out a random number from their tax code in a thread about Japan being cleaner than cities in the US without any mention of the rest of their tax rates or how any of it is relevant to a thread about the country's cleanliness, and even that was a fail because we already do have more progressive taxes and collect a shitload more in taxes, obviously in amount, and also many multiples more per capita. Japan's tax revenue is like $500B, and the US is over $5 trillion. We can collect waaay more in taxes with lower tax rates because our GDP per capita is over $76k while Japan's is only $33,500. How much does it cost to keep streets clean, and why can't democrat cities do it with 10x as much money?

Were you trying to claim that the US would be cleaner if everybody had less money? The streets aren't littered with cash, they're littered with needles, food wrappers and human shit.
You’re probably wasting your time with those replies

Was just in Sydney, one of the more diverse cities in the world. Also very clean.

How do they maintain that culture?
Never been to the US, but I've often heard it's filthy.
Doesn't take Japan's culture of shame and obligation to achieve much better (although it's diametrically opposed to a culture of narcissism, which no doubt helps).
Singapore is cleaner than Sydney, and they manage it by literally caning Americans (and anyone else) that decide to trash the place.
Fines and enforcement contribute as well (which Sydney also has, but Singapore has larger fines and more enforcement).

He was finally right about something! I think Jimmy Kimmel is pretty filthy and disgusting himself.

Never been to the US, but I've often heard it's filthy.
Doesn't take Japan's culture of shame and obligation to achieve much better (although it's diametrically opposed to a culture of narcissism, which no doubt helps).
Singapore is cleaner than Sydney, and they manage it by literally caning Americans (and anyone else) that decide to trash the place.
Fines and enforcement contribute as well (which Sydney also has, but Singapore has larger fines and more enforcement).

Agreed it’s mostly a local government thing. @HereticBD claimed it was a lack of immigration that made people follow a clean culture. I was just pointing out there’s places around the world that show his assumption is wrong.

Agreed it’s mostly a local government thing. @HereticBD claimed it was a lack of immigration that made people follow a clean culture. I was just pointing out there’s places around the world that show his assumption is wrong.

Yeah, I'm saying culture can no doubt contribute, but it's more likely an issue of American culture vs Japanese culture than mono culture vs multiculturalism. Singapore and Sydney are multicultural, but have legal and social expectations which apparently greatly reduce vandalism and littering (along with the money/infrastructure required to enforce them relative to population density).

Keeping things clean and organized is definitely a long standing social tradition in Japan; including public noise pollution. I wasn't saying specifically the no trash can policy is part of their culture.
I'm sure there's a cultural element to that but that's also due to laws. Buildings are required to be soundproof and trucks must be offloaded by hand instead of using noisy automatic lifts. And more importantly than anything car ownership levels are low and few trips are made by cars due to the urban planning and public transit. Given that cars are what produce a signficant, if not the majority, of the noise in a city that helps keep things quite.

But if we tried to implement those policies in North America right wingers would throw a fit.

I think there's a compromise to be made between being a garbage dump and sending people to prison for littering.

If cleanliness is achieved through authoritarian methods then I think it's hardly worth it.

Our cities in Finland are small by comparison but they're pretty clean for now and nobody needs to get locked up for it.

I'm sure there's a cultural element to that but that's also due to laws. Buildings are required to be soundproof and trucks must be offloaded by hand instead of using noisy automatic lifts. And more importantly than anything car ownership levels are low and few trips are made by cars due to the urban planning and public transit. Given that cars are what produce a signficant, if not the majority, of the noise in a city that helps keep things quite.

But if we tried to implement those policies in North America right wingers would throw a fit.

We get it, you're too poor to own a car.

Welcome to the party pal…

Nice job escaping your echo chamber and seeing what life is like outside of the big cities

Now… if only he went into the reasons why…

lol

Why wasn’t he cancelled, according to the leftist protocol?

It's not racist. When you have people born and bread in the country, they're gonna know and follow the rules of that country more than a guy who showed up yesterday, with vastly different cultural norms. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it's simply true. If Japan just started importing the third world into their nation, it would look a LOT different in a very short amount of time.

it works because it's a civilized ethnostate.
bring 10 million immigrants in and watch all that civilization and cleanliness go away.

Lmao they would unleash their secret Gundams if we tried to pull that shit on them.

I know, these are all great. They also:

- are zero tolerance on street crime
- do not accept mass immigration, and are very strict on only allowing in immigrants who are qualified to add to their society
- believe in discipline, law and order

I c

You forgot the most important part that its very Homogeneous in nature which is the common factor all these "Utopias" have..and strong immigration policies.

Wait until YOU find out that their taxes are flatter than the US, kick in at much lower incomes, their yearly immigration is like a slow week at the US border, and they fine and throw people in jail for littering. It's what you would consider a "patriarchy" with almost no minorities or mass migration. The US can't even put people in jail for punching old ladies on the subway, and their littering penalties would be called "racist" here.

tenor.gif

Japan’s demographic struggles are forcing companies and communities to open up at an unprecedented rate.

Last year, the number of foreign workers hit a record 2.04 million, up 12.4% from 2022, according to labour ministry figures released late last month. That inflow is set to continue at a high pace as Japan seeks more assembly line staff, construction workers, vegetable pickers and caregivers for the elderly.

"Japan is entering an era of mass foreign immigration,” said Junji Ikeda, president of Saikaikyo, a Hiroshima-based agency that sources and supervises foreign workers. "Incremental adjustments will not suffice.”

That's true but so is everything else I said. Cities aren't loud, cars are.

Cities by nature are loud but you're right cars add to it but commercial vehicles and construction equipment are the biggest culprits in the petrol usage category. Japan's culture is ingrained on human levels though, hence why their public transit is whispers and no one is blaring their music.

If we implemented policies to tell people to shut the f up while on public transit or to keep their electronics to a bare minimum level of audible, the left would lose their mind

Cities by nature are loud but you're right cars add to it but commercial vehicles and construction equipment are the biggest culprits in the petrol usage category. Japan's culture is ingrained on human levels though, hence why their public transit is whispers and no one is blaring their music.

If we implemented policies to tell people to shut the f up while on public transit or to keep their electronics to a bare minimum level of audible, they would lose their mind
I don't think people talking or playing music on transit accounts for a serious proportion of noise pollution in cities overall, its mainly from motor vehicles. If we regulated them better as well as requiring soundproofing in constructing residential and commercial buildings it'd go a very long way to reducing noise pollution in cities. On some level Japanese culture is at play here but there are policy lessons to be found as well.

If we implemented policies to tell people to shut the f up while on public transit or to keep their electronics to a bare minimum level of audible, the left would lose their mind
It would be very harmful to "People of color" and members of the LGBTQ community, I'm sure.

I don't think people talking or playing music on transit accounts for a serious proportion of noise pollution in cities overall, its mainly from motor vehicles.
No it isn't, unless you're referring to industrial equipment as "motor vehicles". Nobody is complaining about cars driving on the street.

I don't think people talking or playing music on transit accounts for a serious proportion of noise pollution in cities overall, its mainly from motor vehicles. If we regulated them better as well as requiring soundproofing in constructing residential and commercial buildings it'd go a very long way to reducing noise pollution in cities. On some level Japanese culture is at play here but there are policy lessons to be found as well.

I don't know of any new construction in the past 30 years that hasn't taken sound proofing as part of core design. City scapes by nature are sound tunnels outside. Reducing vehicles would help but again it's not so much commuter vehicles as it is commercial and construction.

I don't know of any new construction in the past 30 years that hasn't taken sound proofing as part of core design. City scapes by nature are sound tunnels outside. Reducing vehicles would help but again it's not so much commuter vehicles as it is commercial and construction.
Commuter vehicles are almost certainly a significant source of noise pollution in most cities.

Back