JOKER v. 2 (NYPD Vows to Deploy More Officers This Weekend; First Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be a shitshow.
Just nuke DC

I'm getting vibes basically like Falling Down but shot like a 1970s De Niro / Pacino movie.

Falling Down meets Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. Not a bad pedigree at all, if done right:cool:

That's what interests me about this movie: we've all had low points, where our lives seem meaningless and the world is a cold, dark, cruel place. Most of us are able to endure the darkness without succumbing to it. But what happens to those who cannot? Who's lives are so filled with pain that the only option left to them is to make the whole world hurt? That's what I think this movie is going for.

First trailer was better, but I'm still fairly pumped.

It kind of blows me away at how many different directions you can take the Batman universe in.

I hope this is a one-off. Joker doesn't have an established origin. That is part of the character. No one knows who he is or where he came from.

People keep saying this, but one of the most prominent interpretations of the character came from "The Killing Joke", and that had a pretty in depth backstory.

People keep saying this, but one of the most prominent interpretations of the character came from "The Killing Joke", and that had a pretty in depth backstory.

The Killing Joke is a one-off and not considered canon. It's a favorite of mine. Joker has had a few "origin stories" and writers frequently take bits and pieces from them moving forward. No single one is considered the "real" origin.

Agreed. It's a major part of Superman's story that he was raised on a farm in Kansas. The perfect all-American upbringing. But Superman: Red Son, in which his ship crashed in the Soviet Union and he was raised as a Communist, is rightly regarded as a classic.

It kind of blows me away at how many different directions you can take the Batman universe in.
This was how it was supposed to be, don't ya unnersstannnn? Not that homogenized, pre-packaged lunch crap!

I see it more that he was a good guy...until he had one Really Bad Day. At which point he went right off the deep end and did things that made him completely irredeemable. I think he'll still end up the murderous psychopath we all know and love(to hate)but they're trying to show why/how he got there.

I don’t agree that they’re going to get it right. That may be their intention, but I feel like they’re going to provide reasons for all the shit he winds up doing -reasons that will conflict with him being bad. The early peek-a-boo scene is an example. Lady just snaps on him for making her kid smile.. it’s going to be a lot of stuff like that. I even bet the people he actually kills will be unlikable characters that will be tough to have empathy for like business men, politicians and shit like that. I’m guessing he’ll indirectly cause the death of his love interest too..

.. I hope it’s good. I like Phoenix as an actor.. but I’m suspicious of an assembly line story being delivered. Even if there are great performances.

I’m happy -and hoping- to be wrong.

This is one of the things I loved about Heaths Joker, he was very menacing and had a take no prisoners attitude. He’d kill innocent children to make a point. That’s what the Joker should be, a perfect blend of madness and menace. I don’t see that in these previews. And this is why I’m skeptical of an origin story for him.

I don’t agree that they’re going to get it right. That may be their intention, but I feel like they’re going to provide reasons for all the shit he winds up doing -reasons that will conflict with him being bad. The early peek-a-boo scene is an example. Lady just snaps on him for making her kid smile.. it’s going to be a lot of stuff like that. I even bet the people he actually kills will be unlikable characters that will be tough to have empathy for like business men, politicians and shit like that. I’m guessing he’ll indirectly cause the death of his love interest too..

.. I hope it’s good. I like Phoenix as an actor.. but I’m suspicious of an assembly line story being delivered. Even if there are great performances.

This is one of the things I loved about Heaths Joker, he was very menacing and had a take no prisoners attitude. He’d kill innocent children to make a point. That’s what the Joker should be, a perfect blend of madness and menace. I don’t see that in these previews. And this is why I’m skeptical of an origin story for him.

In fairness, they had to go in a different direction from Heath's Joker as it was such an iconic performance.

Did they change the title from "The Joker" to just "Joker"

Sounds stupid without "The" infront imo

"In contrast to modern comic book films, Joker was intended to be a standalone film with no planned sequels.[65] However, Phillips said in August 2019 that he would be interested in making a sequel, depending on the film's performance and if Phoenix is interested."

So I guess we know he doesn't die in this movie

"In contrast to modern comic book films, Joker was intended to be a standalone film with no planned sequels.[65] However, Phillips said in August 2019 that he would be interested in making a sequel, depending on the film's performance and if Phoenix is interested."

So I guess we know he doesn't die in this movie

Did anyone really expect him to?

Normally I don’t even get into trailers that show a lot but I went from indifferent to hyped

In fairness, they had to go in a different direction from Heath's Joker as it was such an iconic performance.

Oh I understand that.. I’m just saying -he’s a villain, and he needs to be presented in that light. Don’t half-way it.

The Killing Joke is a one-off and not considered canon. It's a favorite of mine. Joker has had a few "origin stories" and writers frequently take bits and pieces from them moving forward. No single one is considered the "real" origin.
The Killing Joke was intended to be canon and it was, Barbara Gordon remained paralyzed until they retconned that years later. It is true that's it's not a definitive origin because the details the Joker remembers in the flashbacks contradict each other at times, and he himself implies he's not even sure anymore of his own past. But it was never meant as some elseworlds story.

I see it more that he was a good guy...until he had one Really Bad Day. At which point he went right off the deep end and did things that made him completely irredeemable. I think he'll still end up the murderous psychopath we all know and love(to hate)but they're trying to show why/how he got there.
So William Foster from Falling Down?;)

That's a concern of mine too. He's the main character of the story so it will be hard to present him as a pure villain. Then if he's portrayed as a 100% villain then how does he get a comeupance at the end if there's no hero? I was already getting a "this guy needs his ass kicked" vibe in the last trailer. Who's gonna do it?!?!

The Killing Joke was intended to be canon and it was, Barbara Gordon remained paralyzed until they retconned that years later. It is true that's it's not a definitive origin because the details the Joker remembers in the flashbacks contradict each other at times, and he himself implies he's not even sure anymore of his own past. But it was never meant as some elseworlds story.

I think part of the genius of The Killing Joke were the contradictions.

I do realize that Barbara remained paralyzed, but I don't think any of the backstory was ever really referenced again. Like I said, some stories pick and choose random bits of backstory which keeps that mystery alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Real Deal
Back