Jon Jones' UFC career officially over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case, he should just fight a bum that he knows for sure he can beat. Maybe Stipe is that bum, I'd like to see it, or any fight at HW at this point.

The problem is Jones needs someone who can draw if he wants to get past a million buys. His 2 biggest were both v DC (800K and 850K), then 700K v Evans and it falls off past that. His no Conor when it comes to drawing so he needs someone to help. When you look at the numbers it is hard to justify paying Jones the money he wants. Dana has tried to neg. better % for buys over a certain amount to get the parties closer but Jones wants guaranteed money clearly because he isn't confident he will get enough buys to cash in.

I think Jones ideally would have liked Lesnar or DC because they would be more be huge, especially Lesnar but it looks both of them are well and truly retired.

I think black beast while popular isn't a huge draw. I think Francis and Stipe are the only realistic fights for Jones, I don't believe Gane has the following needed. I don't see anyone else in HW which makes sense. Jones won't want to hurt his payday by having a "warm up" fight against a can.

This is bizarre. He wants no part of Ngannou but he became pot committed making his move and bulking up. Then Gane came on scene and theres 2 heavies that Jones really doesnt want to face.

I think his last few fights at 205 are alive and kicking in his head. The only way i see him fighting is one more enormous payday and he'll " do everything in his power " and the hell with the consequences. He'll do a Lesnar , probably lose and that will be that .

Its kinda funny, in this situation everyone's point is somewhat valid. Jones is the Goat and Cyril is somewhat unproven. And then again, Jones basically lost to Reyes and may not even ought to be favored over someone like Jan. Strange

I suspect that his career may be over regardless of who holds the hw title or who wins that fight.

I don't think Jones wanted to get punched by Ngannou and risk his zero, hence the unrealistic pay demands after having already relinquished his 205 belt...

Bad time to pivot

The problem is Jones needs someone who can draw if he wants to get past a million buys. His 2 biggest were both v DC (800K and 850K), then 700K v Evans and it falls off past that. His no Conor when it comes to drawing so he needs someone to help. When you look at the numbers it is hard to justify paying Jones the money he wants. Dana has tried to neg. better % for buys over a certain amount to get the parties closer but Jones wants guaranteed money clearly because he isn't confident he will get enough buys to cash in.

I think Jones ideally would have liked Lesnar or DC because they would be more be huge, especially Lesnar but it looks both of them are well and truly retired.

I think black beast while popular isn't a huge draw. I think Francis and Stipe are the only realistic fights for Jones, I don't believe Gane has the following needed. I don't see anyone else in HW which makes sense. Jones won't want to hurt his payday by having a "warm up" fight against a can.
I guess I'm naive but it seems like the normal, reasonable thing to do, while he's waiting for a weak champ, would be to take on a can or two at HW, ones that he's guaranteed to win (even for normal money) in order to:

1. Build hype that he's actually now a real HW and "coming for that belt"
2. Increase his credibility and leverage when it comes time to negotiate a big title fight
3. Work off some of those fights that remain on his contract in case things don't work out and he wants to bolt somewhere else.

It makes perfect sense to me but what do I know?

If he doesn’t ruin his career and life again by some stupid shit outside of the cage then there’s no way he doesn’t complete at HW.

Why don’t people believe he’s serving a suspension?

He was already ratted out.

I guess I'm naive but it seems like the normal, reasonable thing to do, while he's waiting for a weak champ, would be to take on a can or two at HW, ones that he's guaranteed to win (even for normal money) in order to:

1. Build hype that he's actually now a real HW and "coming for that belt"
2. Increase his credibility and leverage when it comes time to negotiate a big title fight
3. Work off some of those fights that remain on his contract in case things don't work out and he wants to bolt somewhere else.

It makes perfect sense to me but what do I know?

I think he doesn't want to risk the guaranteed huge pay day if he loses or wins in a boring fashion. I also think Jones might only fight once or twice at HW especially if it doesn't go well.

I think there is more hype on the how will Jones go at HW than the belt. It doesn't need to be for the belt to be a headliner PPV.

Jon has to pay for coke somehow.

ZJgnCzA.0.gif

I've lost interest in the UFC and haven't really been on Sherdog to keep up with the Jones fiasco. You mean he still hasn't came back and is sitting on the sidelines? That's funny.

Why don’t people believe he’s serving a suspension?

He was already ratted out.
Because if he was serving a suspension, they would have to announce it. He could be fighting a suspension and no one would know, but as soon as he was convicted, they would have to say

If Gane takes apart Frank--and I believe he will--Jones' UFC career will be officially over imo. Before you start saying 'I knew he wasn't coming back anyway', yeah, I know, I was probably saying that before you, but there was still that 0.5% chance that he might surprise everyone and make good on his word to fight Francis for the belt. At least with Ngannou, he has a narrow path to victory--run around the cage for a few rounds and hope Francis gasses enough to use some grappling without too much risk. But with Cyril, he has no chance of victory. None. Zero. Gane is proven at heavyweight and matches Jones strength for strength and does it all much better. Even if Jones tried some Hail Mary take downs, he would almost certainly get shrugged off and lit up. There's no way Jon wins that fight, he knows it and it will be the nail in the coffin for his HW "dreams". I predict that shortly after Gane's victory, if that is what happens, he will announce his retirement. After all, he never said he would fight Gane, just Ngannou, so with Francis out of the title picture, it would be a great time to slip out the back door with a least some of his pride still intact.
Francis i def wayyyyy too focused on other endeavors atm. I see gane beating him based on where his heads at. Never know though, could just come out snd flatline him I less than a minute. I seethe latter as less likely and gane picking him apart as he fades

Last edited:
Uhh...that second article is obviously a joke. USADA changed their rules so that they didn't have to announce test failures until the appeals process is over, but then they have to announce the failure and a suspension, if one is given. That's how I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back