Media Jon Jones wants Stipe next

I think its funny how people say Stipe is shot, but ignore the fact Jones looked like crap his last few fights. Stipe might be shot, but he took a lot of shots from Francis before he finally got put away. Stipe also dominated Francis in their first fight so either Stipe lost a step or Francis was much improved. I dont think we can say one way or another if Stipe is done or not. Francis made Gane look like garbage and alot were saying Gane was going to be the champ forever and the GOAT.
As for Jones he squeaked by a guy with no knees and hasnt put anyone away in a long time. Now he is heavier, older, probably slower, and more than likely worse cardio due to mass and simply not fighting forever. I think Stipe vs Jones is a good test at HW for Jones and a pretty even matchup. I think Jone's wrestling can be the difference, but I certainly dont feel like he can walk through Stipe.

So, when is next? 2 years, 4years? It didn't take that long for LHW Cormier to move to Heavy weight.

I think its funny how people say Stipe is shot, but ignore the fact Jones looked like crap his last few fights. Stipe might be shot, but he took a lot of shots from Francis before he finally got put away. Stipe also dominated Francis in their first fight so either Stipe lost a step or Francis was much improved. I dont think we can say one way or another if Stipe is done or not. Francis made Gane look like garbage and alot were saying Gane was going to be the champ forever and the GOAT.
As for Jones he squeaked by a guy with no knees and hasnt put anyone away in a long time. Now he is heavier, older, probably slower, and more than likely worse cardio due to mass and simply not fighting forever. I think Stipe vs Jones is a good test at HW for Jones and a pretty even matchup. I think Jone's wrestling can be the difference, but I certainly dont feel like he can walk through Stipe.
Well you're saying a guy who's never fought at heavy weight, is an even matchup for a guy who set a record for the number of title defenses.

Lol...didn't wanna fight Stipe when he got the belt..I smell something that this ain't happenin'

Fine book it whatever.

How complicated can this be?

Lol...didn't wanna fight Stipe when he got the belt..I smell something that this ain't happenin'
Unfortunately Jones, and Francis, and other fighters are locked in bitter contract disputes with big Baldy and the UFC right now. Who suffers? The fans..

let ‘em bang

RH9EbBZ.gif

Credit to EOW

Noone knew how bad the knee was and the call out could have been like this.

"Hey champ go fix that knee because I am next" but nothing.
kinda true but we all do know now surgery min 7 months better for jones test weight gain etc before Fran :)

Well you're saying a guy who's never fought at heavy weight, is an even matchup for a guy who set a record for the number of title defenses.
I think Stipe is very under-rated around here and I am a big fan of his. I like his attitude and seems like a good guy in general, but he has been in battles. His fights w/ DC were pretty brutal and obviously his last fight he took a lot of damage before a brutal KO. Jones has turned into more of a point fighter and has not taken much head damage and has not fought in a long time so should be clear of cobwebs. So yes I think the fight is pretty even. Jones is fresher, younger, and more to prove. Stipe is certainly not in his prime so even though he was one of the best HW ever it is really hard to say where he is at right now.

doesn't sound like he's sitting out.

by all accounts he's putting and mass and training with the added weight

that sounds like plain old common sense and an intelligent career move.
He's set out for two years, he could have made ten or twenty million in that time (Jones himself said he makes 5 million per fight). If he believed he could easily beat HWs like you claim he would be fighting.

He's set out for two years, he could have made ten or twenty million in that time (Jones himself said he makes 5 million per fight). If he believed he could easily beat HWs like you claim he would be fighting.

Or he could intelligently put on the mass and adjusting his training to accommodate said gains.

That would be the intelligent thing to do.

DC and Stipe were 40 when they became champs

Back