Jones is past his prime. Beating him doesn't make someone better.

Well, "prime" Jones was a LHW, so beating him wouldn't be accolade-worthy for a top HW, either.

Stipe is washed as fuck though so it'd be very impressive for him to pull that out of the bag at 40+.

But yeah, obviously beating Jones like a decade ago at 205 would be more meaningful. Its hard to say exactly where he stands at HW right now, that Gane win was hugely impressive but its only one fight to gauge things off of, plus theres Ganes exploitable lack of grappling to take into account.

I do think Jones is past his prime, which was his first reign as champ, he was more explosive and beat some of the best fighters with ease and also in his 20s

Why the fuck are so many of you saying "past prime Jones" "old man Jones" after the Gane fight . I had doubts too and thought we'd see the Jones that couldn't take out one legged Santos but he's crushed those doubts. HW is a great division for a fighter late in their career . Hell it's practically the "old man division" funnily enough. You can be Jone's age and even a little older and be a primo HW.
I dont think Jones looked that great to me in the Gane fight. It's just that Gane didnt give him anything to be threatened with. If this wasnt jones and some other fighter did the same thing to Gane,I dont think people would care that much. Like you could see Curtis Blaydes pulling that off. People wouldnt be surprised or call Blaydes the GOAT.

But if we want to make a thread saying beating past his prime jones doesnt make his opponent better,than roided jones beating people dont make him better either. Cant have it both ways.

Jones is out of prime but he got beat by the real GOAT Matt Hamill. Besides his wrestling his DQ game was too stronk. There is a reason Jones never wanted that rematch. He yielded to the greatness that is Hamill.
He made him some sandwiches after that fight.

Some interesting statistics:
  • Win rates seem to peak around 24 at around 60%
  • Veterans start declining around 32
  • Advantage of fighters with more than 2.5 inch reach is around 56%
  • Age differential of around 4+ years is real.. I forget the stats
  • Southpaw advantage is around 60% win rate

Jon Jones Advantages:

• Rose to the top around 24
  • Legends killer
  • Most of the guys Jones beat on the way to GOAT status were all 32+
  • Rampage 33, height/reach/stance disadvantage
  • Lyoto 33, height/reach/age/stance disadvantage
  • Rashad 33, height/reach/age disadvantage
  • Vitor 35, height/reach/age/stance disadvantage
  • Chael 36, height/reach/age/stance disadvantage
  • Gus -- who most thought he lost to -- 26
  • Glover, height/reach/age/stance, 35
  • Cormier, height/reach/age/stance, 36
  • Reyes, no stats advantage and many people thought won, 31

When you look at the stats, Jones was always made to win. He's still great but to make such a dumb thread about how he can exploit declining fighters and claim GOAT status but others can't do the same while he's only 35 and fighting in the weakest division.. nah.

I think beating him raises someone's stock, but Jones losing doesn't really tarnish him. Anyone who's going to try to claim he got "exposed" after like 16 or 17 or however many title fight wins it is now... is not a rational person.

Reactions: Kb7
Cool, so Jones win over Gane means nothing and shouldn't be accounted for his legacy since Jones is past his prime.

Lebron is past his prime for years now, his championship win in the bubble 2 years ago shouldn't count towards his legacy because he is past his prime.

But yet when Jones beat Stipe, u Jones nut huggers will claim he is also the heavy goat because he beat old man Stipe. Yet on that slim slim chance that Jones losses to stipe, you but huggers want to ignore his loss because he is past his prime and immortalize his goat legacy.

Jones fans are as insecure as Jones himself...smh

By this logic DC was past his prime when Jones beat him and it means nothing.

If stipe beats jones at 35 then he doesn’t deserve any credit for beating one of the goats, but if jones beats stipe at 41 then he just proves how out of this world he is beating the one of the heavyweight goats

Some interesting statistics:
  • Win rates seem to peak around 24 at around 60%
  • Veterans start declining around 32
  • Advantage of fighters with more than 2.5 inch reach is around 56%
  • Age differential of around 4+ years is real.. I forget the stats
  • Southpaw advantage is around 60% win rate

Jon Jones Advantages:

• Rose to the top around 24
  • Legends killer
  • Most of the guys Jones beat on the way to GOAT status were all 32+
  • Rampage 33, height/reach/stance disadvantage
  • Lyoto 33, height/reach/age/stance disadvantage
  • Rashad 33, height/reach/age disadvantage
  • Vitor 35, height/reach/age/stance disadvantage
  • Chael 36, height/reach/age/stance disadvantage
  • Gus -- who most thought he lost to -- 26
  • Glover, height/reach/age/stance, 35
  • Cormier, height/reach/age/stance, 36
  • Reyes, no stats advantage and many people thought won, 31

When you look at the stats, Jones was always made to win. He's still great but to make such a dumb thread about how he can exploit declining fighters and claim GOAT status but others can't do the same while he's only 35 and fighting in the weakest division.. nah.
I’ve never thought about it that way, I always knew about the age stuff, jones being so much younger than his opponents, but I’ve always focused on the weight advantage more, like in his fights against Rashad machida and belfort, plus shogun and his 3 acl surgeries, rampage on a decline, the santos and reyes robberies. But if you bring this stuff up expect a lot of angry jones fans calling you a casual lol

If Stipe or Pav or anybody beats Jones, it's a good victory but you're not beating a prime Jones circa 2011-2019. He's four years out of his prime. Those are facts. Win or lose at this point,
Jon Jones will go down as the GOAT.

jon-jones-ufc.gif
Well he’s a steroid cheat so no wonder he hasn’t lost. When he loses it’ll be because he faced a guy his size who doesn’t lack a ground game like Gane. Reyes and Gus definitely beat him if we’re being honest

The end of person's career matters just as much as the beginning. BJ Penn ruined his image with all the losses he racked up. Fedor messing around and losing to Mitrione, Bader, and Werdum FFS. Not to mention middleweights in Henderson and Silva. If Jones hangs around and gets lit up by a bunch of dudes then it has to be factored in. Khabib and GSP were two of the smartest dudes to ever participate in MMA. They could put their ego aside and exit before all the whoopings started to accumulate.

Back