Just finished the LOTR trilogy for the 1st time in 17 years.

Its pretty weak to just point out that the LOTR trilogy is the greatest film adaptation ever because its not woke propagandist bullshit.

Very few forms of entertainment was woke propagandistic bullshit before 10 years ago.

And from what I've heard about Rings of Power, its even more boring than it is woke.
Respond to what I said, not what I didn’t say. I never said anything about LOTR being the greatest trilogy ever. I said it was a good adaptation because Peter Jackson focused on creating as authentic an adaptation as he could, which included not shoehorning his or anyone else’s petty modern day politics into it.

If you think sticking as closely to the source material as possible when making an adaptation should not be a factor when determining how good said adaptation is, I don’t know what is left to say.

You know Starman, they changed everything about the book, but it was still a great adaptation. Why? Because the creators went all in on modern politics that were nowhere in the book. Rad, huh? You don’t agree? Bigot!

You should go binge watch rings of power. That show is the goat.
controlling-laugh-laughing.gif

I do an annual viewing of both the Hobbit and Lord of The Rings trilogies with my son. We set aside 2 weekends and watch them over the course of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. While the Hobbit is mediocre at best, the Lord of The Rings is amazing. I've been trying to find the 4K UHD release for a reasonable price, less than ~100$, but no luck so far.

You've got me excited for the 4K discs now @GearSolidMetal as I just recently bought a Panasonic DPUB 820K UHD player.

I do an annual viewing of both the Hobbit and Lord of The Rings trilogies with my son. We set aside 2 weekends and watch them over the course of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. While the Hobbit is mediocre at best, the Lord of The Rings is amazing. I've been trying to find the 4K UHD release for a reasonable price, less than ~100$, but no luck so far.

You've got me excited for the 4K discs now @GearSolidMetal as I just recently bought a Panasonic DPUB 820K UHD player.
Do you guys watch The Hobbit trilogy first then go into Lord of the Rings or the other way around?

I've been trying to find the 4K UHD release for a reasonable price, less than ~100$, but no luck so far.

It's pretty easy to find the LOTR 4K BluRay for under $100 right now, but I bet it'll be easier to find an even lower price around Black Friday and the holidays.

I didn't like that trilogy.

Gollum and gandalf were the only characters that were interesting.

Plus the entire premise seemed flawed to me. Tolkien himself was just making shit up as he went along. Even if it meant that he had to go back and rewrite parts of previous books that has already been published.

I also hate it when a hero sacrifices his own life for the greater good, and we have this emotional moment. Then later he pops up and is like "I'm alive"

It cheapens his sacrifice and lowers the stakes for the entire movie trilogy.

I didn't like that trilogy.

Gollum and gandalf were the only characters that were interesting.

Plus the entire premise seemed flawed to me. Tolkien himself was just making shit up as he went along. Even if it meant that he had to go back and rewrite parts of previous books that has already been published.

I also hate it when a hero sacrifices his own life for the greater good, and we have this emotional moment. Then later he pops up and is like "I'm alive"

It cheapens his sacrifice and lowers the stakes for the entire movie trilogy.

I don't agree with your overall take on the trilogy, but that Gandalf shit was always fucking stupid.

"Gandalf dies, and then goes into some mystic underworld, fights a demon, and comes back to life to continue the journey. He wears white now."

I remember seeing that in the theater, and thinking "The fuck?"

Do you guys watch The Hobbit trilogy first then go into Lord of the Rings or the other way around?

I'm wondering this as well. I'm guessing it's best to watch them in theatrical release date but not sure. Can't remember if there is any major reason to watch it in either order, unless you never read the books or say the movies yet.

I don't agree with your overall take on the trilogy, but that Gandalf shit was always fucking stupid.

"Gandalf dies, and then goes into some mystic underworld, fights a demon, and comes back to life to continue the journey. He wears white now."

I remember seeing that in the theater, and thinking "The fuck?"
I know right? Like when Sauron gets his finger chopped off and then comes back as a giant, flaming eyeball?

I'm wondering this as well. I'm guessing it's best to watch them in theatrical release date but not sure. Can't remember if there is any major reason to watch it in either order, unless you never read the books or say the movies yet.
Maybe so you have something to look forward to with The Lord of the Rings trilogy? Going from Hobbit to Lord of the Rings is an improvement, whereas going from Lord of the Rings to The Hobbit would feel like a drag imo.

Hobbit trilogy is unwatchable. I learned this only after I bought it. Luckily it was only 5 dollars per movie.

I know right? Like when Sauron gets his finger chopped off and then comes back as a giant, flaming eyeball?

Not comparable. They never teased the notion that Sauron wasn't some supreme evil entity, that could pretty much do or be whatever he wanted.

What made Gandalf's segment especially dumb, was basically what the other guy said. It lowered the stakes. One moment, you're thinking "Oh' man, their all star whose been carrying their asses all this way is dead. What are they gonna without him" to "Wait, he's back because...how? Did they just make that shit up on the spot?"

You don't have much concern for the rest of them after that, because you know they could just come up with something equally as convenient. Sam is in danger? Meh. If he dies, they'll probably run into a fairy that sprinkles life dust on him or some shit.

In fairness, maybe his resurrection is explained better in the books, but in the movie, it just comes out of nowhere and seems like cheap plot armor. Even in the way the scene plays out, is just silly. Frodo wakes up, and he's just there. Then he gives this brief little explanation, that even in this fantasy realm, makes no sense, and then they just dance around like idiots.

It's the most laughably stupid sequence in the entire trilogy, and it always sticks out like a sore thumb.

The wife and I watched the trilogy as well. She had never seen it and I haven't seen them since I was in HS.

Great acting, directing and music. Have to disagree with the CGI comment. It wasn't bad, but it was clear it was CGI in certain scenes and 2000s CGI at that. One special effect that was cringe back then and looked worse now was when Legolas tries this move to get on his horse all cool and it just looks so bad.

The height ratios were impressive. There were only a few times it looked way off. One of the times is when Eowyn and I think Pippen are riding a horse, but they're trying to convey how little he is compared to her...it looked rough.

All in all, a really good series. Kept my wife entertained enough to where if we were supposed to be watching one of the movies and we weren't, she made it a point to press me about it.

Great refresher course as we were watching Rings.

Just for a comparison on budgets, the last season of GoT and this seasons House of Dragons are cracking around $20 million an episode. That is why everything looks fucking amazing. First season of The Walking Dead was around $6 million an episode. It went to the farm for a season because it coudln't afford more city.

*The only character development, throughout all three movies, was between Frodo, Aragorn, and... Gollum? Yep, I'd say he actually gets the most development than everyone else in the entire trilogy, which is shocking to say but its true although he's in the background of the 1st movie and actually only has a role in the 2nd & 3rd. Basically everyone else is the exact same at the end than they were in the beginning, but their status has risen (Aragorn becomes king) or they go through severe hardship (Frodo).

*This may have the LONGEST and most shallow ending ever. From the ring being destroyed to the credits rolling there's got to be 20 minutes of... well... not much. If it was wrapped up in 5 minutes it'd not have felt right, but it kept going and going. I bet they could have found a sweet spot with 12 minutes.

I strongly disagree in regards to character development.

Sam: starts out as a simple gardener who never left the Shire, goes on to become arguably the most heroic figure in the Third Age.
Pretty much the same could be said about Merry and Pippin.
Legolas & Gimli: start out with animosity and racial prejudices toward one another, go on to become fast friends.
Boromir: proud, easily corrupted by the Ring, has final moments of redemption, giving his life to defend the hobbits and recognizing Aragorn as his king.
Theoden: feels he's not a worthy king of Rohan, has not lived up to his ancestors, proceeds to ride gloriously to Gondor's aid, dies in an epic battle, glad to see his niece finally smiling again and feeling worthy of his forefathers.
Elrond: suspicious of Men, sees no hope for Middle-earth, is ready to leave for Valinor, does an U turn for the love of his daughter, lends help to defend Helms Deep and later shows up for Aragorn's coronation.

Also, I feel the long goodbyes are earned.

Last edited:
The soundtrack is amazing.

That “do dooo, do do do do do dooooo do dooo” song is always in my head.

Two Towers is the best.

When Gollum is in Smeagol mode, saying shit like “what’s taters precious?”.

Not comparable. They never teased the notion that Sauron wasn't some supreme evil entity, that could pretty much do or be whatever he wanted.

What made Gandalf's segment especially dumb, was basically what the other guy said. It lowered the stakes. One moment, you're thinking "Oh' man, their all star whose been carrying their asses all this way is dead. What are they gonna without him" to "Wait, he's back because...how? Did they just make that shit up on the spot?"

You don't have much concern for the rest of them after that, because you know they could just come up with something equally as convenient. Sam is in danger? Meh. If he dies, they'll probably run into a fairy that sprinkles life dust on him or some shit.

In fairness, maybe his resurrection is explained better in the books, but in the movie, it just comes out of nowhere and seems like cheap plot armor. Even in the way the scene plays out, is just silly. Frodo wakes up, and he's just there. Then he gives this brief little explanation, that even in this fantasy realm, makes no sense, and then they just dance around like idiots.

It's the most laughably stupid sequence in the entire trilogy, and it always sticks out like a sore thumb.

Gandalf isn't mortal. He never was. He's basically an Angel sent down to the mortal plane by the gods to battle Sauron. Who is also an Angel, but a corrupted one.

Back