Media Just rewatched Romero vs Costa

Wise1

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
1) Romero *the deciding factor*
2) Costa clearly
3) Romero clearly

Round 1) Although Costa takes OctagonControl and Aggression, Romero landed more strikes and more significant strikes while also having the higher strike/attempt ratio. Costa threw a lot making it appear as though he is doing more but he missed more than he landed. Both scored knockdowns and both absorbed strikes very well but Romero’s precision and shot selection was far superior.

Round 2) For the first three minutes Costa clearly out-strikes Yoel while the last two minutes were more even. Yes Yoel lands the last second takedown but not enough by any means to steal the round.

***Notice that by the end of this round Costa is wearing a lot of damage on his face. It was his round for sure but Romero’s work over the two rounds is really starting to show***

Round 3) It is competitive for about the first two minutes but then it’s all Yoel and Costa is just showing off his toughness but conceding the round nonetheless. Yoel is clearly the fresher fighter by the end while Costa just refuses to fold.

***Notice that Costa is wearing significantly more damage than Romero. Costa’s doubt is apparent in his demeanor. For the first time since his UFC debut we see a face of humility as opposed to arrogance***

The decision is read, Costa’s relief is apparent, Yoel’s surprise is genuine, the crowds reaction is appropriate.

DEBATE INSPIRED BY @NoBiasJustMMA

Knockdown vs knockdown
WHO did it better?

A) Costa
B) Romero
C) EQUAL​

Last edited:
Commentators were riding the Costa train. Rogan and Cruz afaik.

"ooouh what a right hand he hit him with" - the punch hit nothing but air.

I don't care about the result though. Costa is young and Romero old. Rematch would be a win for Costa and both will be caught sooner or later.

Isn't there like a week informal moratorium on "just rewatched" threads?

How did you give round 1 to Romero? That was Costa's best round. Romero landed less strikes and less significant strikes in that round.

The deciding round was round 2, round 1 was clearly Costa's and round 3 was clearly Romero's.

Isn't there like a week informal moratorium on "just rewatched" threads?

Pops wanted to watch the event since he missed it so I put on the replay and watched it with him. He had it as I did and was shocked when they read it for Costa.

How did you give round 1 to Romero? That was Costa's best round. Romero landed less strikes and less significant strikes in that round.

Incorrect Sir.

Watch it again and then get back to me.

I was rooting for Romero but Costa won.

Just reread this thread, I agreed with you the first time but after a second read I disagree.

Incorrect Sir.

Watch it again and then get back to me.

I have, Costa lands more strikes and he dropped Romero while he had his feet solidly under him, when Costa got dropped he was already off balance before it landed. Maybe you should watch it a third time.

Pops wanted to watch the event since he missed it so I put on the replay and watched it with him. He had it as I did and was shocked when they read it for Costa.

Eh well if it's for the old man.

Round 1) Although Costa takes OctagonControl and Aggression,

This is the part I have an issue with. If you want to say it was a close round and Yoel edged it, you can't also just throw two major deciding factors in scoring the round right out of the window. Even in boxing where rope a dope was invented, you don't get a round getting your ass kicked up against the ropes while throwing good shots.

I have, Costa lands more strikes and he dropped Romero while he had his feet solidly under him, when Costa got dropped he was already off balance before it landed. Maybe you should watch it a third time.

Costa lands on Romaro square on the jaw, TS needs to rewatch again in a week.

Hilarious that you sum up Yoel’s knockdown to Costa being off balance while the exact same thing applies to Costa’s knockdown of Yoel. They were equal circumstances.

Both were off balance at the moment the strike is absorbed, both shake it off like it was nothing.

Last edited:
Hilarious that you sum up Yoel’s knockdown to Costa being off balance while the exact same thing applies to Costa’s knockdown of Yoel. They were equal exchanges.

LMAO, no they were not, you claimed to have watched the fight twice yet you say Romero won the round he got out struck in, was constantly backing up in and got dropped in. Look at their feet in the sequence they both got knocked down in, Costa is already off balance before he gets dropped Romero isn't.

Even if you count the knockdowns as equal, Costa landed more strikes, was the aggressor and had octagon control.

Round 2 was the closest of the fight and you can argue for 29-28 for either of them I don't see an argument for Romero round 1 or Costa round 3.

Last edited:
Hilarious that you sum up Yoel’s knockdown to Costa being off balance while the exact same thing applies to Costa’s knockdown of Yoel. They were equal circumstances.
<{cruzshake}>

Come on sherbro. Costa clipped Romero's chin with a perfect left hook that Yoel didn't see coming. That ACTUALLY dropped him. You need to watch the highlights again I guess.

When Yoel knocked Costa down, it looks more like Costa slipped and just fell on his ass.

LMAO, no they were not, you claimed to have watched the fight twice yet you say Romero won the round he got out struck in, was constantly backing up in and got dropped in. Look at their feet in the sequence they both got knocked down in, Costa is already off balance before he gets dropped Romero isn't.

Even if you count the knockdowns as equal, Costa landed more strikes, was the aggressor and had octagon control.

Round 2 was the closest of the fight and you can argue for 29-28 for either of them I don't see an argument for Romero round 1 or Costa round 3.

I posted video of it, see post above.

Watch this video and look at where Romero's feet are when he gets dropped he's in a good position and has weight evenly over both legs and look how close Costa's feet are to Romero's when he gets knocked down and where his weight is, most of his weight is on his back leg. Costa was off balance and his feet were way to close to Romero when he took a solid shot so he fell.

<{cruzshake}>

Come on sherbro. Costa clipped Romero's chin with a perfect left hook that Yoel didn't see coming. That ACTUALLY dropped him. You need to watch the highlights again I guess.

When Yoel knocked Costa down, it looks more like Costa slipped and just fell on his ass.

See two posts above, I posted the segment in question and I’m not watching just highlight reels, I have the entire event on replay.

I posted video of it, see post above.

I already found clips of when they both get dropped, Romero is solidly on both legs and his feet aren't way too close to Costa's. Costa has most of his weight on his back leg and his feet are way too close to Romero's.

Costa is already off balance and his feet are too close to Romero's before the punch landed, Romero wasn't already off balance with his feet super close to Costa's when he got dropped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back