Media Just rewatched Romero vs Costa

Watch this video and look at where Romero's feet are when he gets dropped he's in a good position and has weight evenly over both legs and look how close Costa's feet are to Romero's when he gets knocked down and where his weight is, most of his weight is on his back leg. Costa was off balance and his feet were way to close to Romero when he took a solid shot so he fell.

Yeah my video is much more comprehensive.

Romero is off balance because he was throwing and before he even gets to the ground he’s already grabbing at Costa.

Hilarious that you sum up Yoel’s knockdown to Costa being off balance while the exact same thing applies to Costa’s knockdown of Yoel. They were equal circumstances.

Both were off balance at the moment the strike is absorbed, both shake it off like it was nothing.

Like I said look at their feet before the strikes land, Costa's feet are in a bad position and he's off balance Romero isn't.

See two posts above, I posted the segment in question and I’m not watching just highlight reels, I have the entire event on replay.
I saw the video, but I think you need to watch a slow-mo clip of it... Should give you better insight. Here you go.

See? Costa just looks like he lost balance whereas Yoel's brain shut off for a sec.

Yeah my video is much more comprehensive.

Romero is off balance because he was throwing and before he even gets to the ground he’s already grabbing at Costa.

This video shows the same exact thing, look at their feet, I don't know how many times I have to tell you before you notice it.

"Precision" "Shot Selection" McGoober nut-hugger detected.

I was rooting for Romero but my BP rose each time he stopped to stick out his tongue...just bang, my dude.

1) Romero *the deciding factor*
2) Costa clearly
3) Romero clearly

Round 1) Although Costa takes OctagonControl and Aggression, Romero landed more strikes and more significant strikes while also having the higher strike/attempt ratio. Costa threw a lot making it appear as though he is doing more but he missed more than he landed. Both scored knockdowns and both absorbed strikes very well but Romero’s precision and shot selection was far superior.

Round 2) For the first three minutes Costa clearly out-strikes Yoel while the last two minutes were more even. Yes Yoel lands the last second takedown but not enough by any means to steal the round.

***Notice that by the end of this round Costa is wearing a lot of damage on his face. It was his round for sure but Romero’s work over the two rounds is really starting to show***

Round 3) It is competitive for about the first two minutes but then it’s all Yoel and Costa is just showing off his toughness but conceding the round nonetheless. Yoel is clearly the fresher fighter by the end while Costa just refuses to fold.

***Notice that Costa is wearing significantly more damage than Romero. Costa’s doubt is apparent in his demeanor. For the first time since his UFC debut we see a face of humility as opposed to arrogance***

The decision is read, Costa’s relief is apparent, Yoel’s surprise is genuine, the crowds reaction is appropriate.

This video shows the same exact thing, look at their feet, I don't know how many times I have to tell you before you notice it.

I hear you dude, I just don’t agree.

Anyone can watch the video I uploaded and decide for themselves. I see two equal exchanges.

I hear you dude, I just don’t agree.

You just don't understand what you are looking at then. It's way easier to knock someone over when their feet are super close to yours and they are leaning back.

Today’s judging awards “aggression” more than damage in a fight. Think about that for a minute. You can win a fight by taking more damage as long as you walk forward. Which essentially all aggression is walking forward.

Commentators were riding the Costa train. Rogan and Cruz afaik.

"ooouh what a right hand he hit him with" - the punch hit nothing but air.

I don't care about the result though. Costa is young and Romero old. Rematch would be a win for Costa and both will be caught sooner or later.

Lol not at all Rogan was on Romero jock as usual.. Both him and Cruz almost cried when Stipe koed DC..

Terribly biased commentators

According to the new rules that knockdown wins that round due to being closer to finishing the round

Stupid? Yes, but that's what it is

You just don't understand what you are looking at then. It's way easier to knock someone over when their feet are super close to yours and they are leaning back.

My point is that they were both off balance at the moment of absorption and they both showed little to no effect from the strike.

Also.. if the difference was round 1 and you don't have it clearly for Romero.. how is the decision bad? The round looked pretty damn close to me.. but Costa was the one forcing Romero backwards into the cage most of the round

So you’re keen to allow three judges who know fu** all about mma define history? I know what the record books read but I also want to know the truth.
Yes, that's how it works. Romero has his share of narrow decision wins as well. It's part of the game.

1) Romero *the deciding factor*
2) Costa clearly
3) Romero clearly

Round 1) Although Costa takes OctagonControl and Aggression, Romero landed more strikes and more significant strikes while also having the higher strike/attempt ratio. Costa threw a lot making it appear as though he is doing more but he missed more than he landed. Both scored knockdowns and both absorbed strikes very well but Romero’s precision and shot selection was far superior.

Round 2) For the first three minutes Costa clearly out-strikes Yoel while the last two minutes were more even. Yes Yoel lands the last second takedown but not enough by any means to steal the round.

***Notice that by the end of this round Costa is wearing a lot of damage on his face. It was his round for sure but Romero’s work over the two rounds is really starting to show***

Round 3) It is competitive for about the first two minutes but then it’s all Yoel and Costa is just showing off his toughness but conceding the round nonetheless. Yoel is clearly the fresher fighter by the end while Costa just refuses to fold.

***Notice that Costa is wearing significantly more damage than Romero. Costa’s doubt is apparent in his demeanor. For the first time since his UFC debut we see a face of humility as opposed to arrogance***

The decision is read, Costa’s relief is apparent, Yoel’s surprise is genuine, the crowds reaction is appropriate.

DEBATE INSPIRED BY @NoBiasJustMMA

Knockdown vs knockdown
WHO did it better?

A) Costa
B) Romero
C) EQUAL​

Wrong. Official round 1 stats
Romero 32
Costa 37

http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/3e16a71836e85212

According to official UFC stats, they both threw the same amount of strikes in round 1 and Costa landed more. You’re wrong. It was a close fight that to me actually came down to the second. I thought Costa clearly took 1 and Romero clearly took 3.

Eh well if it's for the old man.

Yesh maybe a little bias there from Pops. LoL

This is the part I have an issue with. If you want to say it was a close round and Yoel edged it, you can't also just throw two major deciding factors in scoring the round right out of the window. Even in boxing where rope a dope was invented, you don't get a round getting your ass kicked up against the ropes while throwing good shots.

I don’t agree with how you sum it up. Yoel was slipping and dodging most of Costa’s strikes while landing almost all of his own strikes, very Mayweather-esque.

Hilarious that you sum up Yoel’s knockdown to Costa being off balance while the exact same thing applies to Costa’s knockdown of Yoel. They were equal circumstances.

Both were off balance at the moment the strike is absorbed, both shake it off like it was nothing.

Those punches were FAR from being equal... Costa's punch was perfect and completely dropped Romero... And Costa was off balance when Romero "knocked him down".
I don't have a dog in this fight, I literally was only rooting for a great brawl full of fireworks. Yeah it was a good fight but the right man had his hand raised.

See? Costa just looks like he lost balance whereas Yoel's brain shut off for a sec.

From this angle you can’t even see his face yet you proclaim that he “shut off for a sec” ... watch the video I posted where you can see his face and tell me if you feel the same way.

Back