Rewatch Just rewatched Volk vs Islam

I think Volk finally realized that he didn't have to worry as much about the grappling, but it was too late. He gave away too many rounds being tentative and worrying about TDs.
Correct.

He's gonna come in to this fight like it's round 6, totally fearless and knowing he can get on top and finish. Islam will know it too. Volk KO r1/2

This is a classic case of winning the match and losing the fight

Islam won Maybe 3 rounds but they were close

Round 5 was a massive victory for volk as he looked to be just getting started while Islam was at the end of his rope. And Volk landed more damage in r5 than Islam did the whole fight

That's a fair read. In a similar vein I think Poirier only just won the Hooker fight on the cards but when you look at it as a whole he won the fight in a dominant fashion.

I’m gonna be honest, there is a lot here and I’m currently down with covid so there’s a lot of effort to respond to all of it. There’s some good points and I’ll try to do a better response later. But I’d like your opinion on this. Do you think all 3 judges, 85% of fans (according to mmadecisions), and the majority of media members all just don’t understand the criteria or do you think it’s a product of the criteria being open to personal interpretation and the majority interpret it differently than you are here? Or something else entirely?

First and most important, get well soon Sherbro! You are one of the good guys.

Short answer: I think the majority you reference don't understand the criteria.

Long answer: Honestly, I think the rules are fairly well written to remove ambiguity as to how they are interpretted, and to reduce the amount of subjuctivity in how they are applied. That said, there is always going to be some amount of ambiguity and subjectivity as long as there is a human element involved in the scoring.

I think about everyone understands that Striking and Grappling are to be weighted equally. I think the part people miss is how to weigh one relative to the other. When the answer is simply whose actions are having the greatest negative impact on their opponent, with actions having immediate impact being weighed heavier than actions that result in an accumulation of impact. There is no scoring value in "control time" itself. I think people see that metric tracked on screen, and award it value that the UR does not call for.

That’s one of the biggest issues in how many interpret the rules to me. People see any strikes as being successful, no matter how weak or meaningless. But to me (and the rules) taking a dominant position and maintaining it is successful and effective grappling. You cannot judge it the same way as you do striking because grappling in and of itself does not cause damage unless the submission is completed. So much of grappling is taking good positions that force your opponent to take a risk to escape, which leads to submissions.

However, with this idea that a defending fighter can make no attempts to escape and just defend for it to be considered an even exchange doesn’t make sense. Or the fighter can throw meaningless arm punches and be considered the winner of the exchange? All this does is incentivize the defending fighter to play it safe, make no attempts to escape, and at worst come out even. In my mind, the defending fighter is losing that exchange until they escape or utilize effective offensive maneuvers, arm punches behind your back don’t hit that threshold.
He’s losing the exchange…..but it’s not a big moment in a round …..guy on top in the advantages position should try do some damage….not always easy

This is a classic case of winning the match and losing the fight

Islam won Maybe 3 rounds but they were close

Round 5 was a massive victory for volk as he looked to be just getting started while Islam was at the end of his rope. And Volk landed more damage in r5 than Islam did the whole fight
Islam was super fuckin tired at the end. He could barely stand. He still won tho. Barely.

That’s one of the biggest issues in how many interpret the rules to me. People see any strikes as being successful, no matter how weak or meaningless. But to me (and the rules) taking a dominant position and maintaining it is successful and effective grappling. You cannot judge it the same way as you do striking because grappling in and of itself does not cause damage unless the submission is completed. So much of grappling is taking good positions that force your opponent to take a risk to escape, which leads to submissions.

However, with this idea that a defending fighter can make no attempts to escape and just defend for it to be considered an even exchange doesn’t make sense. Or the fighter can throw meaningless arm punches and be considered the winner of the exchange? All this does is incentivize the defending fighter to play it safe, make no attempts to escape, and at worst come out even. In my mind, the defending fighter is losing that exchange until they escape or utilize effective offensive maneuvers, arm punches behind your back don’t hit that threshold.
I think it depends on the strikes from bottom. Volk wasnt really getting off any good ones but another old example is King Mo vs Mosausi. Moose definitely won off bottom yet lost in the judges eyes. What you call a dominant position is sometimes just holding. If offense isnt offered its nearly impossible to escape a great grappler who just wants to hold.

Back