Largest Wildfire in California history.

California likes to pretend they are their own country and shit-talk Trump at every opportunity. It is not Trump's job to save the liberal shithole from annihilation by wildfire. Maybe the Governor should do his fucking job. Or the Mayor's. Or the fucking state/federal representatives. Fuck California. Let it burn.

...what gender was the babby, BTW?

they should name him/her/xer 'Blaze', that's a sick name
<Oku02>

I knew a young, hippy, stoner couple who named their kid that... I cringed

What's Trump supposed to do? Pretend like he cares. He can't even bring himself to do that.

Maybe Californians should not invade wilderness so much and not take up water resources, maybe then they would have less fires. Focking cunts

Instead Bunker Boy goes to Florida to talk about how hes doing the opposite of what he's doing, preserving American land. Its almost as if he's more concerned about re-election than half his country being burned to the ground in the middle of a pandemic, recession, and civil unrest

I live here.
This happens every single year.

Ive had multiple family members who homes burned down in 2018.
Trump actually came to the town where their homes burned down

Its California's fault

California is the greatest state in our fair union. It's a wonderful place. Too bad they can't figure out the forestry thing though. A few controlled burns and a bit of logging would do wonders for a forested state that is often hot and dry.

I wonder why no one has thought of that before? Please, elaborate. You make it sound so simple.

Sorry, not to be a dick, but I can't help but cringe when I log-in and see that the keyboard warriors and city slickers are now experts in forest management. Internet forums are the bastion of the ignorant experts.

If you are familiar with California, you'll know that you can drive up any road in the Sierras and see log truck after log truck. Logging is alive and well in California. Here's the thing; logging does nothing to stop wildfires. In fact, the largest and most destructive fires in American and Canadian history have occurred in recently logged areas.

Why isn't logging effective? Because logging entails harvesting large diameter trees. Large diameter trees are not the main carriers of wildfires. Fine fuels are (what we in the industry call 1-hr, 10-hr, and 100-hr fuels. In fact, after a wildfire, the boles of these large trees are mostly unburned-the moisture content is too high and the surface area too low.) Logging is often counter productive due to the amount of slash left behind, and the overtaking of smaller trees and brush where large diameter trees once stood.

Controlled burns? They are great, except California is in perpetual drought and it just keeps getting hotter and drier. You can chalk it up to climate change or not, but what is happening is indisputable. When conditions are that unfavorable, we just can't conduct prescribed burns. Add into that the complexity of decades of lax zoning regulations that allowed Californians to build houses in any and every asinine spot they could. We just can't burn on any appreciable scale in California due to development, fuels, and weather. And tack onto that the continued support for re-building via Federal disaster funds.

Its a mess without a solution.

Instead Bunker Boy goes to Florida to talk about how hes doing the opposite of what he's doing, preserving American land. Its almost as if he's more concerned about re-election than half his country being burned to the ground in the middle of a pandemic, recession, and civil unrest

Have the democratic governors there asked for help?
Yes.
Did Trump offer it?
Yes

What are you complaining about exactly? You and CNN are pissed and trying to create a gaslight narrative that Trump has done nothing to help? or are you made he hasn't done a news conference to say "poor you. Hugs"

this isn't really the presidents job, not sure what he's supposed to do

You guys are acting like the idiot Republicans who inspired the "thanks obama" meme

California is the model for the perfect society. They do not need the federal government to help. They should get all the illegals and homeless and give them a crash course on firefighting.
There's 15 million conservatives in the state, more than the total number of undocumented immigrants in the country.

Maybe you wanna do something for those folks

There's 15 million conservatives in the state, more than the total number of undocumented immigrants in the country.

Maybe you wanna do something for those folks
Any conservative living in California is a fool.

I thought you guys said blue states are the ones who prop up red states in this country

Surely a place that contributes soooo much tax revenue and has all its shit together doesn't need help with a few tiny brush fires from TRUMP of all people, right?

Just hold onto some of those endless piles of cash you guys have stored, pick up some equipment, and handle the fires with your superior intellect and competence.

Two threads

Zero responses

I wonder why no one has thought of that before? Please, elaborate. You make it sound so simple.

Sorry, not to be a dick, but I can't help but cringe when I log-in and see that the keyboard warriors and city slickers are now experts in forest management. Internet forums are the bastion of the ignorant experts.

If you are familiar with California, you'll know that you can drive up any road in the Sierras and see log truck after log truck. Logging is alive and well in California. Here's the thing; logging does nothing to stop wildfires. In fact, the largest and most destructive fires in American and Canadian history have occurred in recently logged areas.

Why isn't logging effective? Because logging entails harvesting large diameter trees. Large diameter trees are not the main carriers of wildfires. Fine fuels are (what we in the industry call 1-hr, 10-hr, and 100-hr fuels. In fact, after a wildfire, the boles of these large trees are mostly unburned-the moisture content is too high and the surface area too low.) Logging is often counter productive due to the amount of slash left behind, and the overtaking of smaller trees and brush where large diameter trees once stood.

Controlled burns? They are great, except California is in perpetual drought and it just keeps getting hotter and drier. You can chalk it up to climate change or not, but what is happening is indisputable. When conditions are that unfavorable, we just can't conduct prescribed burns. Add into that the complexity of decades of lax zoning regulations that allowed Californians to build houses in any and every asinine spot they could. We just can't burn on any appreciable scale in California due to development, fuels, and weather. And tack onto that the continued support for re-building via Federal disaster funds.

Its a mess without a solution.

A well reasoned and thought out post like this....will almost certainly be ignored.

interesting, as pot becomes legal in Cali we see an increase in forest fires.

Up in smoke indeed.

Yeah California has a freak dry lightning storm no one has ever seen (I am living in the SF Bay Area and it was nuts) and somehow it’s Trumps fault. There are invasive tree species such as eucalyptus trees that burn fast and hot. California is being overrun with them. Some of it may be climate change but there are a lot of other factors including forestry mismanagement that are at play here. None of which really seem to be Trumps fault.

I think it's been fairly well established that the primary issue with fire in California is that wildfires have not been allowed to burn in decades, controlled burns have been all but eliminated, and there has been less and less logging which means more undergrowth (which fuels these fires), virtually no clear cut areas (which would have helped contain these fires), and very few remaining passable access roads (which would make it much easier to fight these fires).

All of these problems are rooted in left wing "environmental policy."

Their misguided attempts to save the forests have, in practice, resulted in the forests being burned to the ground (and in the process, a shit tonne of carbon has been released into the air).

hqdefault.jpg

Back