Lets talk fishing

What kind of body of water are you fishing?brackish sloughs
Water clarity? Really bad. 6inches to 1 foot max
Water depth?center 14 feet im casting from shore
Water temp?71
What’s on the bottom? Mud
Is there any cover? Toolies only on edge
What kind of bass?stripper, largemouth
What kind of other species are in the water? Channel cats, blue cats, crappie, sturgeon
What region of the US are you in? Northern California
Everything is answered in quote

So i have a white and chartreuse spinner and a white and chartreuse chatter. I also have a black with red flecks in both. I am casting from the dock though. So both are light. 3/8 oz. I think i may need heavier lyres as the slough is roughly 14 feet deep at the center.
Muddy water, chartuse and orange variants.

Make sure they make noise, spinner baits need BIG blades. Often time upsize the blade

Get rattling cranks.

Big baits for muddy water, smaller for clear

Muddy water, chartuse and orange variants.

Make sure they make noise, spinner baits need BIG blades. Often time upsize the blade

Get rattling cranks.

Big baits for muddy water, smaller for clear
I have 2 rattle 8ft dive square billed. Zero success with these as they are incredibly light and I am casting from the bank. I may need a smaller body of water idk.

My spinners have large willow blades. I also have a set of Colorado blades I can swap out if you think the heavy beat is better.

Last edited:
Ive been fishing my whole life, but just bought a boat this year. Been hitting the lake getting mostly pike and bass. Going for walleye later this week. The bay i am on has quite a bit of different species (bay on georgian bay in ontario canada). So there are lots to go for.

Ive been fishing my whole life, but just bought a boat this year. Been hitting the lake getting mostly pike and bass. Going for walleye later this week. The bay i am on has quite a bit of different species (bay on georgian bay in ontario canada). So there are lots to go for.
It looks like I will have a boat come end of august. But yea the water ways here are full of life. Cant wait! Enjoy thst shit. I know I will.

Everything is answered in quote

Cool.

I live in Mass and haven’t fished in Cali but for me if I’m fishing muddy, shallow backwaters I’ll usually pitch a creature on a jig or a jig head, weedless if there’s lots of stuff to get hung up on in the water. You want baits that are going to move a lot of water, because fish aren’t detecting baits by sight if the water is that muddy. Make some noise and move some water. Somebody already mentioned buzzbaits, that could work but it depends what you got in the water debris wise. I don’t know if they’re hitting top water where you’re fishing but poppers and spooks might be worth a cast or two. Somebody already mentioned chartreuse/bubble gum because of the low visibility, where I fish they won’t touch anything that doesn’t look natural but maybe give it a cast or two.

Cool.

I live in Mass and haven’t fished in Cali but for me if I’m fishing muddy, shallow backwaters I’ll usually pitch a creature on a jig or a jig head, weedless if there’s lots of stuff to get hung up on in the water. You want baits that are going to move a lot of water, because fish aren’t detecting baits by sight if the water is that muddy. Make some noise and move some water. Somebody already mentioned buzzbaits, that could work but it depends what you got in the water debris wise. I don’t know if they’re hitting top water where you’re fishing but poppers and spooks might be worth a cast or two. Somebody already mentioned chartreuse/bubble gum because of the low visibility, where I fish they won’t touch anything that doesn’t look natural but maybe give it a cast or two.
Thank you. Im getting alot of responses in pm about spinner or creatures. I just figured the spinner with willow blades is good for making a ruckus. But maybe im thinking wrong.

Maybe the soft plastics are the better way. I just didnt think they make the ruckus needed for muddy water.

I have a couple of dark geen natural looking jigs but im not sure thst is the right color lol.

I recommend finding a "home lake".. fishing trips are great but knowing the waters first hand is awesome.. even if you get maps of water depths etc you never know if it's unfishable because plants or fallen trees or shit..

A good nearby lake is also necessary to not make fishing a mission..

I usually get fish on..Hot-4pcs-Vibration-Bait-Metal-Blade-Fishing-Lure-5-5cm-11g-Trolling-Spoon-Jig-Fishing-Lure.jpg Hot-4pcs-Vibration-Bait-Metal-Blade-Fishing-Lure-5-5cm-11g-Trolling-Spoon-Jig-Fishing-Lure.jpg depositphotos_45732649-stock-photo-jig-hooks.jpg

But then again it's all about which baits you give swim time.. just know the general size of the prey of what you're trying to catch..

I keep a lot of big, predatory fish and they are opportunistic as fuck when they are hungry..

Good luck..

Thank you. Im getting alot of responses in pm about spinner or creatures. I just figured the spinner with willow blades is good for making a ruckus. But maybe im thinking wrong.

Maybe the soft plastics are the better way. I just didnt think they make the ruckus needed for muddy water.

I have a couple of dark geen natural looking jigs but im not sure thst is the right color lol.

True, I almost exclusively fish soft plastics because I’m generally fishing back waters not open water. You’d be surprised how much water a decent sized soft plastic can displace. Doesn’t have to be a creature, a nice big worm with a paddle tale can thump around pretty good, make sure they’re scented. I like Mann’s jelly worm, either 8 or 10 inch, I usually go purple or black with those. A jig head will keep it banging around near the bottom, kicking up some debris. Don’t know what kind of setup your running rod/reel wise, I use medium spinning gear and will pair a big soft plastic with a 5/16 jig head, usually weedless. I like to fish weightless honestly, but my water sounds a bit clearer than yours.

I fish a lot of texas rig and real slow. 5.5" curl tail worms for finesse and 10" for slow stitching. I like texas cuz you can pretty much throw it anywhere, trees, brush, rocky terrain...

I also fish senkos and throw them right in the tules and reeds or dense brush piles. This is deadly and produces some big fish.

Spinnerbaits are good for grass beds, I dont fish anything fast though myself. Minus 1s are also great when theres a top water bite or frogs.

My favorite way to fish bass though is double anchored so the boat is taught. We flyline crawdads, so much fun...caught my biggest largemouth all on crawdads, they love em

True, I almost exclusively fish soft plastics because I’m generally fishing back waters not open water. You’d be surprised how much water a decent sized soft plastic can displace. Doesn’t have to be a creature, a nice big worm with a paddle tale can thump around pretty good, make sure they’re scented. I like Mann’s jelly worm, either 8 or 10 inch, I usually go purple or black with those. A jig head will keep it banging around near the bottom, kicking up some debris. Don’t know what kind of setup your running rod/reel wise, I use medium spinning gear and will pair a big soft plastic with a 5/16 jig head, usually weedless. I like to fish weightless honestly, but my water sounds a bit clearer than yours.
Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense to me.

I just picked up some white scented tails for my jigs/spinners. I havent used em yet but look forward to it.

Good luck , I don’t know shit anyway lol.

To your question on blades, willows are great, just up size from factory The ones that come with a certain bait size in muddy water.

Colorado’s I generally only throw in winter.

Upsize willow or Indiana blade.

Have fun!!

ztWCJjS.jpg

AJV9Ksg.jpg

TOAD!!

Blacked out to preserve prime largemouth fishing holes for years to come lol

I never could understand lake fishing for bass/catfish etc. must get repetitive so fast.

now deep sea fishing on the other hand.......thats my SHIT. its a surprise every single time you catch something. I've caught sponges, coral, jellyfish, pufferfish, sharks, all kinds of stuff. and the fish you keep actually tastes better than lake bass/catfish IMO.

Deep sea fishing/shark fishing is fun as hell.

Good luck , I don’t know shit anyway lol.

To your question on blades, willows are great, just up size from factory The ones that come with a certain bait size in muddy water.

Colorado’s I generally only throw in winter.

Upsize willow or Indiana blade.

Have fun!!
From what ive read you know more than anyone here lol.

I never could understand lake fishing for bass/catfish etc. must get repetitive so fast.

now deep sea fishing on the other hand.......thats my SHIT. its a surprise every single time you catch something. I've caught sponges, coral, jellyfish, pufferfish, sharks, all kinds of stuff. and the fish you keep actually tastes better than lake bass/catfish IMO.

Deep sea fishing/shark fishing is fun as hell.

That's cuz you don't have angler blood streaming thru your veins...I've trout fished some of the most pristine untouched areas in the US where you won't see another soul and the serenity alone is absolutely amazing let alone catching fish that hardly anybody else will ever get to see. Fishing is about the chase, your surroundings, the anticipation. Some people say catching a 20lb largemouth is more of an achievement than catching a 200lb yellowfin "cow" tuna, I may even agree...

I've done both lol

FFdBH6A.jpg

That's cuz you don't have angler blood streaming thru your veins...I've trout fished some of the most pristine untouched areas in the US where you won't see another soul and the serenity alone is absolutely amazing let alone catching fish that hardly anybody else will ever get to see. Fishing is about the chase, your surroundings, the anticipation. Some people say catching a 20lb largemouth is more of an achievement than catching a 200lb yellowfin "cow" tuna, I may even agree...

I've done both lol

FFdBH6A.jpg

Dude way more people have caught 200lb tuna than 20lb largemouth...

Dude way more people have caught 200lb tuna than 20lb largemouth...

I used to argue with a fishing associate of mine that 200lb yellowfin was a bigger accomplishment, I was wrong. Now a 400lb yellowfin may have a case lmao

I've done both lol

FFdBH6A.jpg

I can kind of understand the peacefulness. I love being in nature myself so I guess thats a nice way to get outdoors. Just for me personally, I could deep sea fish every day but dont care to lake fish. To each their own!

Back