Lever guns, love ‘em, or hate ‘em

I've got a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70. I like the look of it and the feel of working the lever, but I don't shoot it much. The recoil is pretty strong on the loads I've got for it and the lever tends to beat the shit out of one of the knuckles on my trigger hand in particular. One of these days I'll probably get another lever gun, maybe a .30-30 or .44 mag.
is it a Remington made one or a Marlin original? If it's a Marlin Original you could get a bit of money for it.

is it a Remington made one or a Marlin original? If it's a Marlin Original you could get a bit of money for it.

Pretty sure it's a Remlin. It functions fine though, unlike some of the other horror stories I heard way back when I started looking into buying one.

Of all my guns, my Marlin 336 .30-30 is my favorite. It’s a pre Remington buy out, and the rifle my dad passed down to me as my first deer rifle.

That rifle is literally tradition.

You say this but when you're asleep one night and a wild African Rhino breaks through your door and the .357 magnum pistol rounds are bouncing off its endangered forehead you'll shout "I should have listened to Woldog!!!!!!!" in this highly realistic scenario.
Can confirm this happened the other day, and realized prophet Wol's testaments

I love them because they're so light and easy to carry.
45/70 ones kick like goddamn mules, though.
One of these with a Trijicon Accupoint is about as perfect an "Alaska Rifle" mankind has yet to create.

1m_cjke_KX2aU9cewBAgkWYVdxud6jCGu8S3_MEj6gM.jpg

I love them because they're so light and easy to carry.
45/70 ones kick like goddamn mules, though.
One of these with a Trijicon Accupoint is about as perfect an "Alaska Rifle" mankind has yet to create.

@RerouteToRemain said the new Ruger made Marlin 45/70 was pretty easy on the recoil.

Like this rig for hunting deer on Kodiak Is in case of a bear encounter.
The quick follow up shots are quite a bit faster than a bolt action.
Picked this one up used after a gunsmith smoothed everything out, trigger has a 2lb break. :)
Easy to put a red dot on it which I prefer for coming back late and beating through the brush in the dark while wearing a headlamp.
At Kodiak now waiting for the cable ship to get from Chignick to Larson Bay. Getting seatime pay to stand by so it's like getting paid to hunt and fish.

Edit to add-
My brother in law bought my sister one so I had to get one, I mean come on man.

I like the Marlin 336 in 35 cal. Great brush gun and has good stopping power.

I like the Marlin 336 in 35 cal. Great brush gun and has good stopping power.
I just picked up a 336 in 30-30.
I've got a Rossi made Citadel-92 in .44 magnum, but it's about to get sent back to warranty repair, getting fixed up after the last warranty repair completely fucked it up and made it go from a gun that functioned and worked perfectly (aside from the right cartridge guide breaking in half) to an absolute dud.

This is my 1958 Model 94 30 - 30 that my father gave me when I turned 16, as my first gun.
full
full

My son is 11.5 years old and already has five guns. Because we are avid hunters.
The gun was originally purchased by my grandfather the year my father was born.

My son's guns, you ask?
Henry .22 Golden Boy
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg .410
Parts AR-15
Weatherby Vanguard .308

Last edited:
This is my 1958 Model 94 30 - 30 that my father gave me when I turned 16, as my first gun.
full
full

My son is 11.5 years old and already has five guns. Because we are avid hunters.
The gun was originally purchased by my grandfather the year my father was born.

My son's guns, you ask?
Henry .22 Golden Boy
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg .410
Parts AR-15
Weatherby Vanguard .308

"parts" AR? He built one himself already?

Back