Look how bad Ronnie Coleman's condition has gotten

For most people it's probably not a relevant lifestyle. If you have the means like Ronnie had to do what he did i'm sure he doesn't care what anybody else thinks. The point of the sport or any sport is to push as far as you can go.

It’s so sad how he ended up. I don’t understand, how did this happen as a result of his back surgery? I know he had herniated disks and I think I read he got crippled from his back surgery.
You don't take your foot off the gas and listen to your surgeons about recovering and moving forward from surgery. You keep fucking up their work and needing more work done to try to fix things. Eventually, there's nothing left to work on or be fixed and you end up fucked up, like Ronnie.

You don't take your foot off the gas and listen to your surgeons about recovering and moving forward from surgery. You keep fucking up their work and needing more work done to try to fix things. Eventually, there's nothing left to work on or be fixed and you end up fucked up, like Ronnie.
Exactly this. He'd get surgery for his back, be told he needed to take six months off of training and then he'd be back in the gym squatting heavy after two weeks.
Eventually he'd done so much damage to his spine that the only thing they could do was spinal fusion which means he can't actually articulate any of his lower back at all these days.
For an ethical surgeon who wants their patient to get better, Ronnie was the nightmare patient because he did literally everything wrong. But I expect that if his surgeon was a bit more free and loose in the ethical side of things they saw him as one hell of a recurring payday.

Broken body, not worth it. Legend for sure. Still wish he could walk better.

Goblet squats and swings are cardio. Cardio is any repetitive movement with your major muscle groups done for minutes. I'll be doing 50-rep sets of Goblet squats. It's cardio.

You expect my 250-pound fat ass to jog? I value my knee health.
Eliptical machine . Aerodyne bike . Treadmill at incline while walking. All “ easy” on joints Cardio.

Seems like some people here are repeatedly discounting Ronnie's foolishness in not listening to his surgeons/doctors(as well as ignoring a crazy injury for 10-11 years) rather than him lifting heavy weights. When a doctor to tells you not to do something, it's usually a good idea not to do it. Most of the time it's not this bad, but you may still rip stitches or whatever else. But it was especially important for Ronnie to listen to his surgeons when he had his spine discs fused.

This is on top of Ronnie herniating a disc in 1996 and continuing to train with it for 11 more years. Ronnie only had surgery in 2007 on it when he retired.

At this point all except one of disc in his back are fused(although by this time it may be all of his discs).

There are people walking this earth who squatted, benched, deadlifted, etc hundreds of pounds more than Ronnie and are not almost paralyzed. Doing stupid shit will do that.

For most people it's probably not a relevant lifestyle. If you have the means like Ronnie had to do what he did i'm sure he doesn't care what anybody else thinks. The point of the sport or any sport is to push as far as you can go.
That's why there are so few true athletes. Not everyone is ready to sacrifice their health for the opinion of others.
Personally I like to just exercise to keep my performance high. It's great for getting the blood flowing.

Hey everyone. This is my first post :)

That's why there are so few true athletes. Not everyone is ready to sacrifice their health for the opinion of others.
Personally I like to just exercise to keep my performance high. It's great for getting the blood flowing.

Welcome brother !

I know he probably is being mentally messed up by pain meds when you see him now but Ronnie never seemed like the sharpest guy even back in the early 90's. Some of the shit he says now is wildly off base. You could excuse it by saying he was told it by someone else or misunderstood or whatever but come on. He said he was 0.33% bodyfat at one point. To even seriously utter those words shows some serious cognitive issues.
Not surprising to me that someone that dumb could be that dumb about his health choices.

All kinds of respect for what he accomplished in the sport though.

This was from a botched back surgery wasn't it?

This was from a botched back surgery wasn't it?
Botched implies the surgeon fucked up.
The surgeon did not fuck up, Ronnie did. As soon as he could after surgery he was back to squatting heavy because the man was a maniac who was - and is - addicted to training.
That's a two sided coin coz it did get him his name engraved into the world of bodybuilding forever but it also resulted in his body being destroyed rather than built.

Welcome to Sherdog JamM!

I know he probably is being mentally messed up by pain meds when you see him now but Ronnie never seemed like the sharpest guy even back in the early 90's. Some of the shit he says now is wildly off base. You could excuse it by saying he was told it by someone else or misunderstood or whatever but come on. He said he was 0.33% bodyfat at one point. To even seriously utter those words shows some serious cognitive issues.
Not surprising to me that someone that dumb could be that dumb about his health choices.

All kinds of respect for what he accomplished in the sport though.
Yea it's almost more surprising that he's a certified accountant and worked as a police officer with how slow he was

...honestly the slowness tracks with a number of cops I've run into.
Me too and the standards keep dropping over time from what I've heard.

It hadn't occurred to me before but I had assumed @GolovKing was serious with his reply but now I'm wondering if not and it went over my head, my bad if so I guess. Either way I stand by what I said, there are different kinds of intelligence. I used the word seemed because that's how he comes of in the vids I've seen of him talking. Maybe that's why he was not able to get a job as an accountant and hauled pizza instead.

I paused writing there but I'll leave it up.

I just searched out some longer videos of him when he was younger, still seems a little goofy but way more with it than the stuff from when he is older. So my opinion has changed, as has he. He started winning big right when I started pumping out kids so I didn't have any time to be real aware of what was going on in the competitive scene during his reign, other than placings and magazine pics. I never meant it as an insult but I should have not spoken so harshly about the man.

Doesn't the science say that Ronnie's training wasn't even the best for hypertrophy? The reps and intensity he was doing was almost more for powerlifting or strongman, but Ronnie just wasn't that smart in the way he was doing it which is why even most powerlifters and strongman are less fucked up than him

The problem is this is flawed way of thinking:

Dorian Yates and Ronnie Coleman both trained balls to the wall even though they weren’t the most gifted athletes; they both sustained severe severe injuries in their pursuit of greatness. Those special athletes don’t have that off switch or that thing to make them back off. And there’s no guarantees that they would have achieved that sort of greatness either not training like that

Dorian looks like he’s much healthier than Ronnie is and it’s probably because he skipped the heavy squatting and deadlifting especially when dieting down to 3% body fat when he’s compromised. But he still tore his tendons off the bones training insanity. It’s the price they paid for greatness

It’s dope af to see 60 year old Dorian who’s kind of a hippie yoga type smoking weed but with a great physique. He evolved into other things,

Ronnie just loves the sport so much and doesn’t want anything else

Last edited:
Goblet squats and swings are cardio. Cardio is any repetitive movement with your major muscle groups done for minutes. I'll be doing 50-rep sets of Goblet squats. It's cardio.

You expect my 250-pound fat ass to jog? I value my knee health.

Get your fatass on a bike bro. Goblet squats isn’t cardio

Get your fatass on a bike bro. Goblet squats isn’t cardio

Exactly. Which is why I started doing air squats and air back extensions. 26 reps on the squats and 20 reps on the back extensions. The goal is to hit 500 reps each. Then add weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back