Lost my guns & now I miss them

sweetviolenturg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As some of you may recall, when my father-in-law died he left his massive gun collection to my wife. So, we had a damned arsenal of firearms from which to choose from but my favorites were still the Glock 26 gen. 4 & the S & W Airweight .38 revolver that he gave me before he passed away. But then, after my wife died in March her family wanted the guns back. And they insisted that they get them all back as part of the settlement that I agreed upon. And since my Glock & my .38 were on the list that their attorney sent me I had to give those back as well. Besides, since I'm moving back to New York from Arizona I couldn't legally own them anyhow because I don't have a pistol permit. So, I'm without any guns now & it feels strange. It's amazing how you get used to having them available & feel a bit naked when you no longer own them. I never carried them during my time in AZ but I did like having them in my home.

I suppose I could apply for a pistol permit when I get back to NY but it's a lot of jumping through a plethora of hoops & I don't know that I'm up for it. We'll see what happens.

In liberal NY they'd probably throw you in prison for using lethal force to defend yourself. I never carried my glock in CA for that reason. I was in Santa Ana late at night a couple years ago and this dude approached me in a threatening way. He was circling me with with his hand reaching for something in the back of his waistband like he had a knife so I pepper sprayed him and ran away. That's probably your best self defense option in NY or CA.

This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Labs-5-3-mm-Stream-Pepper/dp/B008VOS3C4

One good spray and they'll regret it.

In liberal NY they'd probably throw you in prison for using lethal force to defend yourself. I never carried my glock in CA for that reason. I was in Santa Ana late at night a couple years ago and this dude approached me in a threatening way. He was circling me with with his hand reaching for something in the back of his waistband like he had a knife so I pepper sprayed him and ran away. That's probably your best self defense option in NY or CA.

This is what I use:

I'm not really concerned about protecting myself while back in Buffalo as I've never been approached by anyone in a menacing manner there before. But I suppose there's a first time for everything. So, I'll take a look at that product. Thanks, man.

But I will miss the sense of security that having a firearm in my home provided. So, I might look into other options besides pistols. Sure did love my Glock & my .38 though.

This is what I use:

They'd literally reinstate the death sentence for me if I used pepper spray to defend myself from a suicide bomber in the UK.

I'm not really concerned about protecting myself while back in Buffalo as I've never been approached by anyone in a menacing manner there before. But I suppose there's a first time for everything. So, I'll take a look at that product. Thanks, man.

But I will miss the sense of security that having a firearm in my home provided. So, I might look into other options besides pistols. Sure did love my Glock & my .38 though.
A shotgun makes for a good home defense weapon, and I think they can be purchased in New York without getting a permit. I would also look a Ruger Pistol Caliber Carbine or this company: https://justrightcarbines.com/legal-in-50-states/?v=7516fd43adaa

Your best bet is to find a local gun shop, and see what they have in stock and recommend.

I've been lurking and reading your threads. Why does your wife's family seem to hate you so much? What's the story there?
I was thinking something similar. Surely there must have been some tensions beforehand for them to be so opposed to mutual arrangements. Although when money or property is involved people can be very selfish. It would be hard for someone to give up a house that they are legally entitled to, even in such circumstances. Just a very sad, very sucky situation and it's unfortunate there couldn't be a better negotiation.

I've been lurking and reading your threads. Why does your wife's family seem to hate you so much? What's the story there?

No story really. I've never actually even met my mother-in-law or sister-in-law. They live in Orange County, California where my wife is originally from & neither came to Buffalo when we were married. Then, after we moved to Arizona my wife & I were going to go visit them in Anaheim but COVID happened & we never made it there. So, I've only spoken to them on the phone & online. And there was never any animosity between us whatsoever.

It wasn't until my wife passed away that any tensions arose.

Sorry to hear it TS. Did you consult a lawyer first? Seems like the right the to do to return them to the family, but also the right thing for them to do was let you keep a couple.

I did bring it up to my attorney but it was getting down to crunch time & I if I had tried to extend the negotiations I'd have had to get a hotel in Sedona because I had to hand the keys to the house over on Monday. In the end, it just wasn't worth it. And as I said, they wouldn't have been legal for me to own in New York anyhow. So...

I did bring it up to my attorney but it was getting down to crunch time & I if I had tried to extend the negotiations I'd have had to get a hotel in Sedona because I had to hand the keys to the house over on Monday. In the end, it just wasn't worth it. And as I said, they wouldn't have been legal for me to own in New York anyhow. So...
If you get tired of NY then you should come to Tennessee where your son is. Real estate is still relatively inexpensive though prices have climbed substantially in the last year. At least there's no problem having guns here.

If you get tired of NY then you should come to Tennessee where your son is. Real estate is still relatively inexpensive though prices have climbed substantially in the last year. At least there's no problem having guns here.

Thanks, man. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

If you want a shotgun, think Benelli or Baretta.
Or Benelli's patent ended this year so a few M4 clones are out from EAA and Citadel arms

This is what I use:

Cant even get that delivered in the shithole state that is NY..

Cant even get that delivered in the shithole state that is NY..
I don't understand the logic behind that or why anyone would voluntarily choose to live in such a place but to each their own.

Back