[LOUISVILLE MMA FIGHTCLUB] "FOUNDING FATHERS" OF AMERICAN MMA

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
I ran a kickboxing club before Ultimate Fighting aired and of course it changed the world as we know it.

from then on out it became a mixed Martial Arts Club that literally welcomed anyone from any background to come train for free with us at the community center.

back then we had to run ads in the newspaper

We had navy SEALS, NAGA champions, pro wrestlers, ninjas, weightlifters and even Pride veterans involved in the gym.

We eventually built a pro fight team and even though I moved away years ago that team still exists today.

I personally suffered greatly back in the day

the no-holds-barred era of MMA was considered a blight and often times anyone participating in "cage fighting" was considered a ruffian thug

we were hated by the traditional martial arts community and discriminated against at every level in our personal lives and employment opportunities

Please remember that the guys that fielded Fighters back in the no-holds-barred era are the ones that set the stage for the wonderful mainstream sport we see today.

I had a high-profile job at the city level and had been running my little MMA gym out of a community center for many years without any trouble.

I was also the head wrestling coach at a local highschool

we finally got big enough to get a public access television show and soon after we were kicked out of the community center after one of the city managers saw it on cable

Even though our tax dollars paid to maintain the facility we were not welcome to participate in athletics there any longer because the city attorney's feared lawsuits and knew that a handful of poor guys we're unlikely to be able to hire attorneys and fight for their civil rights.

remember that participation in mixed martial arts carries with it a cloud of suspicion that you are a violent dangerous person and it may cost you dearly in employment and in your personal life.

you're participation in MMA comes with a heavy burden, its not just the bumps and bruises of combat athletics,

They will fear you, they will hate you, they will discriminate against you...

you are carrying a heavier load then a normal athlete

Please remember we lost jobs, we lost friends and we lost loved ones over the sport we chose to participate in..

I have full confidence that one day MMA will make it back into the Olympics and Fighters won't be considered Ruffians on the fringes of society as we were back in the day...things are getting better but that's because of the sacrifices that we all made.

stick together as a community, you're an athlete representing a sport that carries with it some serious onus

The club fielded fighters for the early NHB/MMA tournaments and helped keep the sport alive thru the dark days of the NHB era, our sacrifices helped pave the way for the modern sport

I, Gavin... [the founder] have relocated to Wilmington NC where we have a small free gym today

lou mma.jpg
club 1.jpg club 4.jpg club 3.jpg g win.jpg club 6.jpg club 2.jpg g fight.jpg

Last edited:
here is one of the last videos of the Louisville MMA FIGHTCLUB at the Douglass Community Center in Louisville KY 2005

about 15 years without a single serious injury and we were all kicked out because they feared the MMA "menace to society" [liability]

remember we were all taxpaying citizens who also paid their membership dues to the community center and were decriminalized against based solely on the sports we practiced

I was there in 2005-2006. Met Brent Weedman and he invited me to train with you guys. First rolled with Jason Bryant, got tapped out in 30 seconds, but kept coming back. Thanks for letting me train with you guys at Douglas while it lasted. Those were great times with a group of really tough and underrated fighters.

Wait what? EHHHH here I was thinking it was AMC Kickboxing with Matt hume and Morice smith and other and Lions Den under the Shamrocks (both teams were fighting in Japan and brought it back to the states along with the Gracies.) ....

Wait what? EHHHH here I was thinking it was AMC Kickboxing with Matt hume and Morice smith and other and Lions Den under the Shamrocks (both teams were fighting in Japan and brought it back to the states along with the Gracies.) ....
Maybe not to the extent that the OP portrays, but camps like these were crucial to the growth of the sport. Also, just because they are not as well known doesn't mean they didn't produce good fighters. Ashe Bowman, Josh Blanchard, Jason Bryant, Courtney Ray, and of course Kentucky's best fighter Brent Weedman. All guys really tough and could hang with most, had some big fights in Hook N Shoot, Bellator, Strikeforce. Not to mention Weedman was a beast, had some great wins and unique submissions.

Like I said, gyms like these didn't have the big names but helped the sport grow at a time when it was needed most. Hespect.

Maybe not to the extent that the OP portrays, but camps like these were crucial to the growth of the sport. Also, just because they are not as well known doesn't mean they didn't produce good fighters. Ashe Bowman, Josh Blanchard, Jason Bryant, Courtney Ray, and of course Kentucky's best fighter Brent Weedman. All guys really tough and could hang with most, had some big fights in Hook N Shoot, Bellator, Strikeforce. Not to mention Weedman was a beast, had some great wins and unique submissions.

Like I said, gyms like these didn't have the big names but helped the sport grow at a time when it was needed most. Hespect.

My portrayal of the Louisville MMA Fight Club is 100% accurate

I am extremely proud of what we were able to accomplish and I don't expect to be given respect for what we did but I want to take the opportunity to document the clubs existence and my part in its Genesis and maintenance

I am extraordinary proud that I am personally responsible for this club's existence and will forever consider it one of the greatest accomplishments of my life

I made a lot of sacrifices to keep it alive during the dark days and incurred a phenomenal amount of risk

as the club's organizer the primary liability would fall upon me if anything were to go wrong

I ran an ad in the newspaper for years that read
" Louisville MMA Fight Club 100% free"

I was the 1st guy that rolled with every man that responded to that ad

it was an honor and a privilege to know all of you

I ran a kickboxing club before Ultimate Fighting aired and of course it changed the world as we know it.

from then on out it became a mixed Martial Arts Club that literally welcomed anyone from any background to come train for free with us at the community center.

back then we had to run ads in the newspaper

We had navy SEALS, NAGA champions, pro wrestlers, ninjas, weightlifters and even Pride veterans involved in the gym.

We eventually built a pro fight team and even though I moved away years ago that team still exists today.

I personally suffered greatly back in the day

the no-holds-barred era of MMA was considered a blight and often times anyone participating in "cage fighting" was considered a ruffian thug

we were hated by the traditional martial arts community and discriminated against at every level in our personal lives and employment opportunities

Please remember that the guys that fielded Fighters back in the no-holds-barred era are the ones that set the stage for the wonderful mainstream sport we see today.

I had a high-profile job at the city level and had been running my little MMA gym out of a community center for many years without any trouble.

I was also the head wrestling coach at a local highschool

we finally got big enough to get a public access television show and soon after we were kicked out of the community center after one of the city managers saw it on cable

Even though our tax dollars paid to maintain the facility we were not welcome to participate in athletics there any longer because the city attorney's feared lawsuits and knew that a handful of poor guys we're unlikely to be able to hire attorneys and fight for their civil rights.

remember that participation in mixed martial arts carries with it a cloud of suspicion that you are a violent dangerous person and it may cost you dearly in employment and in your personal life.

you're participation in MMA comes with a heavy burden, its not just the bumps and bruises of combat athletics,

They will fear you, they will hate you, they will discriminate against you...

you are carrying a heavier load then a normal athlete

Please remember we lost jobs, we lost friends and we lost loved ones over the sport we chose to participate in..

I have full confidence that one day MMA will make it back into the Olympics and Fighters won't be considered Ruffians on the fringes of society as we were back in the day...things are getting better but that's because of the sacrifices that we all made.

stick together as a community, you're an athlete representing a sport that carries with it some serious onus

The club fielded fighters for the early NHB/MMA tournaments and helped keep the sport alive thru the dark days of the NHB era, our sacrifices helped pave the way for the modern sport

I Gavin Wuerth [the founder] have relocated to Wilmington NC where we have a small free gym today

View attachment 621191
View attachment 621193 View attachment 621195 View attachment 621199 View attachment 621201 View attachment 621203 View attachment 621213 View attachment 621205

You should do a full documentary.

Back