Rewatch Luke Goddard stopped the fight early / Jiri too humble

Nice guys finish last? That’s not a good thought. Jiri made into the UFC and became champion clearly he didn’t finish last, he accomplished a lot in his short UFC career. Jiri is young, he’s got 4- year left, he will get a title shot again. The LHW category isn’t very strong at the moment, I can see him get another title shot after just 1 great performance.

I think Sherdog tends to overestimate the popularity of guys playing up whiney alt right asshole characters as well, it plays well with a forum full of whiney incels but not with normal people.

Pereira is an anomaly, his power is different and he's extremely accurate. If the fight was allowed to go on for 3 more seconds, Jiri suffers career-ending injuries. If it lasts 5 more seconds, Jiri suffers life-ending injuries.

That maybe exaggerating a bit but really its hard to see anything but Alex GnPing him after this point, Jiri out of it, Alex ontop in full mount, you don't need to be an amazing grappler to exploit that situation.

Jiri is too humble, gave up his belt for free when he tore his shoulder - also this, tbh the fight was stopped early.
o7uthqlxsr881.jpg

Loads of fighters will tell u they were completely out who came back to win fights and titles - is part of the game.

Luke Goddard is the problem here..

Ya no he got koed and woke up ... Its not the first time its happen to him...he got away with it agaisnt Reyes and ending up winning...this time it didn't work

Jiri is too much of a pushover. He gave his belt up so quickly negating endorsements to be a company man because UFC pressured him so they can have title fights to sell PPVs,and then quickly accepted the stoppage that easily could have been accepted as a bad stoppage since he was out for such an instant. I've seen so many flash KO's and many times those guys have come back and actually won. He forfeits himself if any pressure. He's his own worst enemy when career is concerned. He'll be a middle roader because of it. You have to play the politics to get ahead in this scummy business.

Would the world have ended if he actually got dropped from that position? I think he was about to get finished, but just like the Jiri stoppage, we didn't have a definitive finish. Izzy was hurt but never out, he was covering up and still standing. That fight was stopped too early. He should have been telling Izzy to fight back at the point he stopped it. Izzy slipped every strike in the second exchange after being dropped. That's intelligent defence and we wouldn;t have seen that fight stopped there in boxing until he slumped down. We have stand up grappling to think about in MMA and also the ground game to consider. Our stoppages should be a touch on the later side to accomadate those possible areas the fight might go.

Izzy vs Pereira was aso stopped early and it was Goddard again.

I think the problem is the candy asses in the ACs sir.
Airing on the side of caution rather than letting them finish the fight is what causes these controversial calls.

And no the world wouldn't end if he gets dropped there, it would actually make the win more definitive...same with 5-10 more seconds of that Jiri fight.

Softening MMA is what's happening sir.

Another shit stoppage that ruined a championship fight. I was really surprised at Jiri’s ability to keep Alex backing up and even hurt him at one point. Alex won fair and square because you can NEVER just go out for a second around a trigger happy ref. Alex maintained his ground and was the first to get the game winning knockdown as sad and incomplete as the finish was.

The very fact that we needed slow mo and to pick apart the stoppage like crazy is why it's not a good stoppage.
At no point did Jiri not intelligently defend himself. He wasn't really given that chance. All that happened was he got dropped from underneath Alex who then landed in mount. Fight might have been done, but we never got to see that.
He might have been flash KO'd, but it's not boxing. He was still with it enough when the stoppage was called to be in the position to defend himself. 1-2 more strikes is completely reasonable in that situation.
Getting dropped and taking more than ten extra unanswered shots before falling to his back = intelligent defense? Lmao

Airing on the side of caution rather than letting them finish the fight is what causes these controversial calls.

And no the world wouldn't end if he gets dropped there, it would actually make the win more definitive...same with 5-10 more seconds of that Jiri fight.

I think we both agree Sherbro. It's trying to bring boxing style stoppages into a sport that has two other major areas(to simplify) that the fight may go.

Jiri easily could have recovered and survived from mount if Alex went for a sub or committed too hard and got off balanced. Alex could have thrown 1-2 more punches and Jiri actually would have gone out or shown he couldn;t defend himself.

Same with Alex vs Izzy. Izzy gets drop, gets back up and survives initially. AT the point that Goddard steps in, Izzy is only just showing signs that stopping the fight might be a consideration, but at that point he hasn't taken any follow up shots. Goddard effectively stopped the fight because Izzy was backed against the cage.

Here is Joe Waaren vs Pat CUrran for an actual fight that should have been stopped. COmpletely different body language in each exchange after the initial strikes.

Agreed good sir

Getting dropped and taking more than ten extra unanswered shots before falling to his back = intelligent defense? Lmao
He is in on a takedown until the second last shot where all these slow mo repeats show his hands release.
Attempting to change the position of the fight is intelligent defence in that position.

I never said he didn't get dropped again, but he gets dropped, goes for the takedown and then appears to get hurt again with Alex landing in mount at the time of the stoppage. You are allowed to be dropped multiple times in MMA and the fight continues when you are dropped. He fell back from his knees whilst under his opponent there is no way to know he was out at that point and Goddard should have allowed the fight to continue to allow that ground portion to play out.

Alex vs Izzy for an example of a much better stoppage. Alex gets rocked, dropped and then Mirigliotta is in the position to immediately jump in, but allows a single follow up shot to ensure there is an actual stoppage in the fight.

Nah, he ate elbows to the temple and went limp, falling under Alex's mount.

Perfect stoppage.
Yes this.

Sure he recovered quickly but at the time based on what the ref saw it was the right call.

How was the ref to know he'd recovered so fast?

He won't allow for any extra damage. Why be mad at the ref for saving someone from damage?

People don't even get his mad at a late stoppage.

Cope is a dope graffitti writer from the Bronx. I got a throwie of his in my blackbook from like 1998, facts

Bunch of low IQ brats whose parents never put their drawings on the refrigerator. Now the world is their fridge and everyone is their mommy.

Pathetic.

I think we both agree Sherbro. It's trying to bring boxing style stoppages into a sport that has two other major areas(to simplify) that the fight may go.

Jiri easily could have recovered and survived from mount if Alex went for a sub or committed too hard and got off balanced. Alex could have thrown 1-2 more punches and Jiri actually would have gone out or shown he couldn;t defend himself.

Same with Alex vs Izzy. Izzy gets drop, gets back up and survives initially. AT the point that Goddard steps in, Izzy is only just showing signs that stopping the fight might be a consideration, but at that point he hasn't taken any follow up shots. Goddard effectively stopped the fight because Izzy was backed against the cage.

Here is Joe Waaren vs Pat CUrran for an actual fight that should have been stopped. COmpletely different body language in each exchange after the initial strikes.

Agreed sir.

I watched that fight you posted, that dude was almost dead lol.

He is in on a takedown until the second last shot where all these slow mo repeats show his hands release.
Attempting to change the position of the fight is intelligent defence in that position.

I never said he didn't get dropped again, but he gets dropped, goes for the takedown and then appears to get hurt again with Alex landing in mount at the time of the stoppage. You are allowed to be dropped multiple times in MMA and the fight continues when you are dropped. He fell back from his knees whilst under his opponent there is no way to know he was out at that point and Goddard should have allowed the fight to continue to allow that ground portion to play out.

Alex vs Izzy for an example of a much better stoppage. Alex gets rocked, dropped and then Mirigliotta is in the position to immediately jump in, but allows a single follow up shot to ensure there is an actual stoppage in the fight.

I think getting dropped, eating 10+ unanswered and dropping again justifies a stoppage. He took ~15 powerful blows and did nothing meaningful to stop it or respond.

I think getting dropped, eating 10+ unanswered and dropping again justifies a stoppage. He took ~15 powerful blows and did nothing meaningful to stop it or respond.

I disagree.

He took two shots without responding in the entire exchange and the fight was stopped when he was in the process of being mounted.

Driving in for a takedown is responding to being rocked from the first exchange and intelligently defending yourself. He took more shots whilst fighting for the takedown and then was dropped a second time and fell with Alex landing in mount on top of him. His arm are in the position to defend himself when he falls and that fight should have continued until he was no longer showing he was in it.

The only way we can justify the stoppage is to slow it down to single frames, assess Jiri's arms disengaging at the specific time of a strike from Alex and then go by Jiri saying he reckons he was out. That's why you allow that position to play out. This isn't ammy MMA where you stop it early to protect the guy who has to work a day job on Monday, it's meant to be the premier org in MMA. We have seen this play out multiple times and fighters recover all the time after being dropped.

I thought the stoppage was early, Jiri was pulling guard at the moment it was stopped--which is intelligent defense.

That said, Jiri's lack of protest tells me he was really hurt and it's likely good it was stopped before he took more damage.

Reactions: xn7
Bunch of low IQ brats whose parents never put their drawings on the refrigerator. Now the world is their fridge and everyone is their mommy.

Pathetic.
Damn bro you feel pretty strongly about graffitti writers, did you get your house tagged up or something?

Back