Movies Marvel Studios in Crisis - A Variety Article

Who knew marvel was such a hot button issue. This thread is starting to feel very war roomy.

Nah. Most of us are just discussing the films/shows, what's gone wrong and what Marvel needs to do to fix things. It's only a few posters that have gone Full Culture Wars:rolleyes:

"would be full of woke politics seemingly because of the casting of diverse female leads alone"

No, YOU keep stating that over and over again not me.

Look I recognise that people like you are a bit slow and I couldn't be bothered typing it out using smaller words that you may be able to understand so I'll just copy and paste:

"It very quickly moved on from I couldn't be bothered typing it out to, screw this lazy prick who couldn't be bothered reading any of the many sources that have already covered this topic... but hey, believe whatever you like."

"Even saying, for example that I couldn't name at least four examples off the top of my head, we both know that I could have just rephrased what others have already written on the subject. I simply refuse to because YOU want me to, given you have been such a giant douche on the subject.
"

Now read it again and if you need to use a dictionary to look up any words you don't understand, then that's fine little buddy.

If your strong opinion on the political content of a movie you haven’t even seen yet was based off of political scenes you remembered from a prior flick then you wouldn’t need to run to google and search for other people’s explanation of what those scenes were. You’d know them off the top of your head. But you didn’t remember any, you choked and had ask google. Because you’re triggered by the casting.

You’re throwing a bitch fit about a flick you haven’t seen based off a flick that triggered you for scenes you can’t remember or explain. Next time be a big boy and use your own big boy words to explain your own opinion.

If your strong opinion on the political content of a movie you haven’t even seen yet was based off of political scenes you remembered from a prior flick then you wouldn’t need to run to google and search for other people’s explanation of what those scenes were. You’d know them off the top of your head. But you didn’t remember any, you choked and had ask google. Because you’re triggered by the casting.

You’re throwing a bitch fit about a flick you haven’t seen based off a flick that triggered you for scenes you can’t remember or explain. Next time be a big boy and use your own big boy words to explain your own opinion.

How many times do I have to say the same thing and how many times do you have to attempt to misrepresent my opinions shortbus?

If someone had actually tried to engage with me in good faith and reasonably ask me about the bullshit feminist politics in the last movie then I would have, and still would even now.

You however acted like a tool and came in insulting me from the start which tends to make people want to tell you to go and play hide and go fuck yourself.

I said go here and there's all the information you are asking for, you refused to read it so I decided that there's no way in hell that you were going to get me to hold your hand through this shit. I'm an obstinate prick in that way.

...it has led to some light entertainment at work though so I regret nothing.

The next Variety headline:

For the past 45 years Hollywood executives have eagerly consulted opening day CinemaScores, but in this obscure karate forum 4CHAN4EVA isn't so sure that they make a lot of sense.

I don't judge the quality of a movie on its box office.

Were the Fast and Furious movies better than the Big Lebowski? The Thing?
Citizen Kane lost money at the box office, I guess its not as good as ... Aquaman!

@Dragonlordxxxxx

Final trailer for The Marvels just dropped. Looks like they're trying to link this movie to the Incursion; other universes breaking into ours. Which of course will allow them to bring back other versions of Captain America, Iron Man etc using the OG actors. And pave the way to introduce the FF and X Men to the MCU.

lol at the desperation.... lets put Iron Man and Captain America and Thanos in the trailer.
But, sir, they're not in the movie.
JUST DO IT!

And it sounds like its go that rigor mortis energy Marvel brought with Invasion.
I bleed Marvel, but I'm going to enjoy them eating shit for this and its shitty phase IV-V predecessors.

But Cinescore gave the 1st bag of shit movie a big score, so I guess if it doesn't succeed that our fault....

Yeah I was really impressed with the look and scale of it from Zhao and her team. Movie seemed to take a lot of heat but I thought it was pretty easily one of the better ones of this recent wave of MCU films.

Like the best films that have a stable of hero characters rather than just, say, one, I thought all the Eternals got their time to shine and I liked the way their powers were depicted. Gemma’s performance was solid and I thought the film did a good job of making her the sort of low key likable figure who then had to step up in a big way when the plans went awry.

Brian Tyree Henry was really good in my opinion as he often is. Really liked the way Phastos’ powers were depicted.

Whole cast was good in my view. Don Lee stole the show in his scenes despite having the least screen time of them. Angelina and Salma might have been the only ones who sort of stood out in the sense of being a bit distracting but they still were cool in my view. Lauren Ridloff was amazing and her character’s speedster powers looked great on screen.

Koeghan is always interesting. Madden was solid. McHugh did well with a role that could have been thankless and Kumail was his usual likable self.

There were some missteps and failed attempts at humor. It’s not a great movie but I definitely enjoyed that one quite a bit.
Agreed Jolie and Hayek were miscast. That and their opponent was a little too big for them, literally and figuratively. Other than that I love it. I hope the speedster has a great career, she was so charismatic.

Yeah I was really impressed with the look and scale of it from Zhao and her team. Movie seemed to take a lot of heat but I thought it was pretty easily one of the better ones of this recent wave of MCU films.

Like the best films that have a stable of hero characters rather than just, say, one, I thought all the Eternals got their time to shine and I liked the way their powers were depicted. Gemma’s performance was solid and I thought the film did a good job of making her the sort of low key likable figure who then had to step up in a big way when the plans went awry.

Brian Tyree Henry was really good in my opinion as he often is. Really liked the way Phastos’ powers were depicted.

Whole cast was good in my view. Don Lee stole the show in his scenes despite having the least screen time of them. Angelina and Salma might have been the only ones who sort of stood out in the sense of being a bit distracting but they still were cool in my view. Lauren Ridloff was amazing and her character’s speedster powers looked great on screen.

Koeghan is always interesting. Madden was solid. McHugh did well with a role that could have been thankless and Kumail was his usual likable self.

There were some missteps and failed attempts at humor. It’s not a great movie but I definitely enjoyed that one quite a bit.
I need to give it another watch. My initial rating of it wasn't very good. It wasn't terrible, but it had a bunch of glaring issues and missteps for me. It also came out at a weird time. Post COVID, after End Game, and then we got Black Widow and Shang Chi before it. Eternals just didn't seem like it fit into the broader story, and 7 MCU movies later, that movie has played no role in the MCU.
Maybe seeing it now i'll have a slightly different perspective, and I can judge it just on its own merits.

The visuals were great, and the characters were all likable, but it just felt like there wasn't enough time really get to know them. They're an interesting group, and I think they deserved their own trilogy.
I actually thought Angelina was fitting for the role, but the story they gave her just made her kind of useless for the most part. Salma is the one that really didn't fit, but I also felt that had more to do with how she was written than the actor's ability.

we both know that I could have just rephrased what others have already written on the subject.
No one's asking you to just rephrase what others have already written on the subject. You're being asked for YOUR opinion.

You mean apart from the fact that I immediately gave him the EXACT search string to lead him directly to the dozens of articles with the information that he was after?

He's after YOUR opinion.

YOUR opinion.

YOUR opinion.

Not anyone else's.

YOURS!

If you had one, you'd say what it was. You can give all the excuses you like, and say you're acting like this just to be spiteful, which in and of itself is unbelievably childish. But at the end of the day, I don't believe for one second that you have your own opinion on this matter because if you did, YOU'D SAY WHAT IT WAS!

No one's asking you to just rephrase what others have already written on the subject. You're being asked for YOUR opinion.

He's after YOUR opinion.

YOUR opinion.

YOUR opinion.

Not anyone else's.

YOURS!

If you had one, you'd say what it was. You can give all the excuses you like, and say you're acting like this just to be spiteful, which in and of itself is unbelievably childish. But at the end of the day, I don't believe for one second that you have your own opinion on this matter because if you did, YOU'D SAY WHAT IT WAS!

If I didn't have an opinion on it, I wouldn't have said it in the first place. Anyone that knows me at all would tell you that I don't hold a single opinion that I can't back up with evidence (whether they agree with that evidence or not) but yes, as I said, it very quickly moved on to refusing to out of spite given he was being such a giant, insulting tool and thinking that he could force me into writing it in here.

This whole "you don't have an opinion, you don't have an opinion or you'd share it" garbage is hilariously ridiculous given a) I ALREADY DID share my opinion on the issue, I just didn't share specific examples and b) even if I hypothetically couldn't have named the four obvious examples off the top of my head, I could have just looked up and parroted the words of others.

I am not entirely sure what it is about my personality that the more someone tries to demand that I do something, the more I am determined to tell them to go fuck themselves but it is what it is. /shrugs

As you put it "at the end of the day" Do you really think someone who has chosen to use the name Contempt for decades gives even the slightest fuck what you do or do not think about them?

a) I already did share my opinion on the issue, I just didn't share specific examples
An opinion without examples ain't much of an opinion.

I could have just looked up and parroted the words of others.
That's not a good thing, ya know.

I am not entirely sure what it is about my personality that the more someone tries to demand that I do something, the more I am determined to tell them to go fuck themselves but it is what it is. /shrugs
Easy, you're a child.

As you put it "at the end of the day" Do you really think someone who has chosen to use the name Contempt for decades gives even the slightest fuck what you do or do not think about them?
Decades? Decades implies at least two. You've been here for one, and seven years. And I think I'm just gonna block you now. I've had as much as I can take of watching you behave like a petulant 8-year-old. Bye.

An opinion without examples ain't much of an opinion.

That's not a good thing, ya know.

Easy, you're a child.

Decades? Decades implies at least two. You've been here for one, and seven years. And I think I'm just gonna block you now. I've had as much as I can take of watching you behave like a petulant 8-year-old. Bye.

LOL Is it "You don't have an opinion" or "You have an opinion but it's not much of an opinion"? You can't even keep your own argument consistent.

No I'm obstinate, there is a difference. You may want to look the word up.

Do you honestly think sherdog is the only place that I have gone by this name? There is a world beyond this karate forum you know.

Ahh throwing a hissy fit and putting someone on ignore - the cowards way out when your idiocy has been highlighted. I'll chat to you when this account is inevitably banned and you come back on your 12th new one.

Either way, thanks for the LOLs

I don't judge the quality of a movie on its box office.

Were the Fast and Furious movies better than the Big Lebowski? The Thing?
Citizen Kane lost money at the box office, I guess its not as good as ... Aquaman!

People never understand this. I deal with it most from people who want to rag on me for the music I like.
Oh, Post Malone and Red Hot Chilli Peppers play stadiums?
Gee wiz, just means to me that thousands of people are boring and lame as fuck

Its simple, they stopped making the movies like they used to but expected same results. They also dont attract kids anymore, so their toys and merch are no longer as desirable.

Strange that the DCEU which the anti woke crowd seem to love more has utterly failed, the reality is the vast majority of audiences care about quality still.

I do tend to think the MCEU needed to scale things back a bit more after the last Avengers films, spend 2-3 years on smaller scale stories building up newer characters were as it has become a case of "bigger is better".

The MCU really has dropped back to something I'll watch and generally get some enjoyment from but not something I'm greatly looking forward to as it was for a few years from about 2014-2019.

You would be PERFECT for a board member position to help support Kathleen Kennedy's decisions.

You would be PERFECT for a board member position to help support Kathleen Kennedy's decisions.

The Starwars sequels suck ass but its not because their "woke", its because their lazy film making done by hacks like Abrams and talentless execs sticking their oar in.

Plenty of non white/female characters in whats come out more recently and thats not stopped some of it being very good.

The Starwars sequels suck ass but its not because their "woke", its because their lazy film making done by hacks like Abrams and talentless execs sticking their oar in.

Plenty of non white/female characters in whats come out more recently and thats not stopped some of it being very good.

You are missing causality.

Why does the writing suck? The writing sucks because they were so focused on empowering a female lead that they skipped over the character development part and went straight to the end of the development arc.

They didn't want her to look weak. So...she was great at everything.

That's woke.

Why did the Little Mermaid suck? Because for some stupid reason they replaced yet another white character with a black one. They are rumored to be doing this again with Hercules.

Cleopatra sucked. Nobody wanted to watch it. Why? Because it's ridiculous. And by nature of "ma diversity and representation" you managed to piss off the entire country of Egypt.

The female Ghostbusters was woke because they thought it would be fresh and exciting to simply gender swap the players. Poorly written? Sure. But then they thought they had an easy win simply due to the gender swap.

Ripley was suppose to be a man. Was written as a man. And it wasn't until casting happened that they decided to gender swap. But literally none of her lines were changed to accommodate that swap. No queef jokes needed to remind us that we are so brave and so bold in making the hero of Alien a female.

You may be right in that there are "plenty of entertaining shows with female leads" but I haven't watched them. I'm currently watching Gen V. It's "ok" but it can fuck right off with the transgender sub plot. Not interested and my brain shuts off when I'm being sold on the virtue of gender dysphoria.

Bottom line here? Forced representation and girl power are the problem. The poor writing is downstream of that.

Last edited:
The bottom line is that the pandering has reached levels where South Park hits the nail on the head. When you are afraid to make a Viking Male and White, or an Elf pale, and you make royals in Britain females and people of color celebrating bisexuality, you have jumped the shark. When you take beloved classic cartoons and change the race and genders of characters, just because, you have jumped the shark into the panderverse. When every single commercial has to be an interracial gay couple, yup.....jumped the shark. It reminds me of The Brady Bunch movie when every design Mike Brady came up with all looked like his house.....The writers they hired could only write what their agenda was. Now these folks will be out of work, because at the end of the day, cash is king. Go Woke go Broke is becoming a reality, not just a war call from the right.

Back