Max eye pokes

Aegon Spengler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Does the UFC consciously choose not to prevent eye pokes (they easily could change the gloves or demand automatic point deductions) because eye pokes can lead to highlight real KO’s?

Max pointed to a spot to stand and bang in the middle of the Octagon and I’m surprised JG could even see the spot.

I love Max and his KO was one of the best of all time but he intentionally eye raked twice before it happened…

The statement 'Intentionally eye raked' is hyperbole. Yes, Max eye poked him twice, accidentally, and should have had a point deducted, but Gaethje took about a minute each time and said he was fine. The nose was more of a factor than the eye pokes.

You make it worse by claiming the UFC was involved in the lack of a point deduction to lead to a highlight reel KO when it's at sole discretion of the fight official.

Additionally, Max is considered a clean fighter. Gaethje is more notorious for eye pokes. If anything, he would know to take the full allotment of time if he was compromised, which he didn't, leading me to believe he was okay.

Last edited:
Notice the difference in reaction to when weidman did it to when Holloway did it. The hypocrisy

What rounds did the pokes happen and what rounds did the fight finish? Not even close to each other I'm pretty sure.

Notice the difference in reaction to when weidman did it to when Holloway did it. The hypocrisy
I mean, Chris literally threw a 3 piece combo with nothing but his fingers, and that wasn't the only time he did it.

I definitely felt bad for Justin there, but Max has always had a good rep for not being a dirty fighter.

Justin was in a horrific position. He’s on the biggest card in UFC history in one of the most anticipated fights of the night. He takes vicious eyepokes in each eye two seperate times.

No matter how badly the illegal strikes affected him he has to say he’s fine. There’s no way he can say the eyepokes hurt him without the negative labels fans will place on him. Plus Justin is a warrior so he’ll continue to fight.

The medical staff and his coaches should have helped him but they hung him out to dry and take irreversible damage he didn’t need to take.

Not sure they were intentional coming from Max, who is generally a pretty clean fighter. They were unfortunate though, to be sure.

Does it matter if they're intentional though or if a fighter is normally clean? The rules are the rules, and Max fouled twice that lead to two pauses in the action.

I know Max didn't mean it, but I still think it should have been a point deduction as it happened twice. However, I also think eye pokes should be completely legal in BMF fights lol.

it depends max seemed accidental whereas wideman was doing it on purpose. depends on the ref and how popular a fighter is

I think we’re reached the point where all experienced fighters are doing it. Jones paved the way, weidman was perhaps the most obvious, and now max of course. I mean what else do you expect ? By not taking points refs are effectively rewarding this behavior, it’s basically a penalty on anyone who doesn’t do it. It’s a sad state of affair but what can you do when the people in charge are utterly incompetent.

The only way to really combat the eye poke issue is to simply make it an automatic one-point deduction per poke, and no accidental freebies either.

If the fighters know they stand a good chance to "accidentally" eye poke someone with most likely no repercussions... I doubt they will pay it any more or less concern about the rule as they do now. Guaranteed loss of a point... they might think twice about approaching open-handed.

I am not surprised Max got him twice. He was taking a page out of Jones' playbook trying to gauge Justin's range. Not saying it was deliberate, but fighting open-handed certainly increased the chance(s) it could happen, which sadly it did twice.

Poke, Poke, Jab, Cross.

Classic combination that is known to end fights.

After his nose got broken and he kept blowing his nose, his sight wasn't getting better and his eyes were already irritated which is common with nose injuries. Max probably sensed it and made things worse with the poking.

I cannot really see those pokes as accidental since he landed twice(his fingers were clawing out many times at close range) and only stopped when he got a serious warning which would have given him a point deduction if it happened again.

Last edited:
Gaethje is known for eyepoking himself.
It was super strange to not see Gaethje eyepoke somebody twice, instead he got twice. Karma
Thats brown eye poking though.

Different game.

Back