Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

lol I’d probably be 10 years older than my DSs plus I’d no longer be an NCO. On top of not being allowed to wear a CIB and deployment patch. Fuck you Army!

not being allowed to wear a CIB and deployment patch. Fuck you Army!

Why can't you wear that?

Oh and this dude already did a total of 17 years (Marine Corps and Army) back in the day so this is him trying to get the 20 year pension lol

Why can't you wear that?

Oh and this dude already did a total of 17 years (Marine Corps and Army) back in the day so this is him trying to get the 20 year pension lol
Prior service aren’t allowed to wear them officially.

Prior service aren’t allowed to wear them officially.

That makes zero sense

Is it so people don't get jealous of a new guys "stack" ?

When I was in Marine bootcamp we had a salty former National Guard 11B and the Drill Instructors didn't let him wear all his ribbons for graduation because he had more than all of them. But that isn't a rule at all. Looking back now all my DIs were extremely unaccomplished POGs

Last edited:
That makes zero sense

Is it so people don't get jealous of a new guys "stack" ?

When I was in Marine bootcamp we had a salty former National Guard 11B and the Drill Instructors didn't let him wear all his ribbons for graduation because he had more than all of them. But that isn't a rule at all. Looking back now all my DIs were extremely unaccomplished POGs
That’s messed up. I had prior service guys in my platoon and they were allowed to wear all their ribbons.

I appreciate all the info and help! i will be happy to do whatever is required of me, and many things will be familiar but I will be open and ready for any new challenges.
With your experience, I believe you are more than ready for the U.S. Army BCT. You are probably familiar with most things, the only difference will be the radios and the weapons. Going Infantry I would highly recommend the 'large' version of the 'Ranger Handbook' for reading. $17.06 at Amazon. You can skip things like:
. Demolitions
. Military Mountaineering
. Convoy Operations
. Waterborne Operations
. Aviation
61J7%2BQnVw0L.jpg

* You can also view BCT videos on YouTube.

Last edited:
Infantry OSUT is now 22 weeks instead of 14. Wonder why they changed.

How long did you have to spend in 30th AG back in the day?
I really don't remember but it could not have been more than 10 days. I do remember having some 'fat' boys who were held over working on loosing weight and others working on passing their APFT. This was at Ft. Benning, GA, and we were all guys back in the day -- no females. No females in Basic, AIT, IOBC and Ranger school. I mean no females 'period'. Recruits were male, the cadre was male, the cooks were male, the chaplain was male, instructors were male. Only females were in the infirmary. Female soldiers came later in Civil Affairs (38A).

...there was still some of 'this' back in the 1980s:

Last edited:
I'm not sure why the U.S. Army got rid of the 6 week prior service boot camp, but they did. Probably because 6 weeks turned out to be too little time to fit all the required training. It seems like if you have been out more than 3 years, you will attend BCT (10 weeks). Guys with Ranger tabs and Special Forces tabs have gone back through BCT as result of being out too long. That would be with females soldiers in the mix. 22 additional weeks of Infantry (11B) AIT - as of October 2019. 32 weeks total. Not sure how this will break down for the National Guard. Again, with females in the mix. I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like.

. Core Task Proficiency
  • Combatives
  • Teamwork Development
  • First Aid Refresher *
  • Drill and Ceremony Refresher
  • Bayonet Training
  • Communications *
  • Troop Leading Procedures *
  • Land Navigation (Day and Night) *
  • Army Orientation
FTX-1 Land Nav / Field Craft (Day and Night)

. Weapons Proficiency
  • M16A2 Qualification *
  • M249
  • AT-4
  • M203
  • M18A1 Claymore
  • Army Physical Fitness Test
  • Grenade Qualification
  • 8km Foot March
FTX-2 ten Days

. Tactical Proficiency
  • IED / UXO
  • Convoy Operations
  • Checkpoint Operations
  • Patrolling *
  • Urban Operations
  • Night Defense Live Fire
  • Buddy Team Live Fire
  • Night Infiltration Course
  • 10km foot March
* I put in 'yellow' the 6 tasks I consider to be the real important ones to be proficient in (shoot- move-communicate). There is stuff on that list I did not do in either Infantry basic or AIT, and we were all guys, no females. That was in 1988. Best advice is to get a 'Ranger Handbook' and read it from cover to cover.

Not sure what @Mike Hagger take on this would be from the SOF community. I can't imagine an SF soldier with combat experience going through BCT.

@Zach The Maniac

If an SF dude wanted back in after a break in service, he might actually have to do parts of basic. The folks at Benning can waive anyone through basic, and AIT. I’ll bet some sour SF dude hung out at 30ag, and even shipped to basic with privates, because he had been out for 5-10 years.

Personally saw a tabbed scrolled Ranger, who wanted back in after 9-11, he’d been out for a few years, he did a PT test and qualified with the rifle and went back to.. RIP, then Batt.

22 weeks of training at Benning.. you’d think prior service could skip some of that initial training.

I really don't remember but it could not have been more than 10 days. I do remember having some 'fat' boys who were held over working on loosing weight and others working on passing their APFT. This was at Ft. Benning, GA, and we were all guys back in the day -- no females. No females in Basic, AIT, IOBC and Ranger school. I mean no females 'period'. Recruits were male, the cadre was male, the cooks were male, the chaplain was male, instructors were male. Only females were in the infirmary. Female soldiers came later in Civil Affairs (38A).
Man I've heard nightmares about dudes being stuck in reception there for like 2-3 months. It's only 3-4 days for Marine boot camp.
Imagine having female DSs there now. The female DIs (we were on the same training schedule as one of the female companies) on Parris Island were either hot or butt ugly but it was very hard to take any of them seriously.

If an SF dude wanted back in after a break in service, he might actually have to do parts of basic. The folks at Benning can waive anyone through basic, and AIT. I’ll bet some sour SF dude hung out at 30ag, and even shipped to basic with privates, because he had been out for 5-10 years.

Personally saw a tabbed scrolled Ranger, who wanted back in after 9-11, he’d been out for a few years, he did a PT test and qualified with the rifle and went back to.. RIP, then Batt.

22 weeks of training at Benning.. you’d think prior service could skip some of that initial training.
Maybe he had to do RIP/RASP again because he picked up rank and they wanted him for a higher billet? For example, a squad leader has to go through RASP again if they want to be a Plt Sgt and stay in the regiment. Regardless of deployments and being tabbed.

Maybe he had to do RIP/RASP again because he picked up rank and they wanted him for a higher billet? For example, a squad leader has to go through RASP again if they want to be a Plt Sgt and stay in the regiment. Regardless of deployments and being tabbed.
RIP 2 existed at the time for NCOs and O’s, he was reduced in rank and in order to return to batt he had to do his 3 weeks at RIP. At that time if you left regiment, you had to earn your way back.

I like their policy, like you said if you move up you are reassessed. Centralized promotion system means no one in your unit is responsible or has any part in ones promotion selection. It’s good that a small unit can control who leads. We had a lot of guys from regiment in the 82nd who failed, and were kicked needs of the army. Some of them were solid too.

Maybe being declined to be a plt sgt or squad leader was a wake up call.

RIP 2 existed at the time for NCOs and O’s, he was reduced in rank and in order to return to batt he had to do his 3 weeks at RIP. At that time if you left regiment, you had to earn your way back.

I like their policy, like you said if you move up you are reassessed. Centralized promotion system means no one in your unit is responsible or has any part in ones promotion selection. It’s good that a small unit can control who leads. We had a lot of guys from regiment in the 82nd who failed, and were kicked needs of the army. Some of them were solid too.

Maybe being declined to be a plt sgt or squad leader was a wake up call.
Yeah, RASP 2 is only 3 weeks for NCOs and Os. I bet dudes were pissed who were about to go through the 3 week RIP and then they had to do the 8 week RASP instead. lol maybe that's what fucked Spencer Rapone up.

Yeah, RASP 2 is only 3 weeks for NCOs and Os. I bet dudes were pissed who were about to go through the 3 week RIP and then they had to do the 8 week RASP instead. lol maybe that's what fucked Spencer Rapone up.
lol knowing the Army guys probably graduated rip then they were held in place and had to do RASP.

I have heard the first 3 weeks are RIP and the last 5 encompass shooting cqb and other critical ranger skills.

I like their policy, like you said if you move up you are reassessed. It’s good that a small unit can control who leads. We had a lot of guys from regiment in the 82nd who failed, and were kicked needs of the army. Some of them were solid too. Maybe being declined to be a plt sgt or squad leader was a wake up call.
@FloridaCracker

Prior Service Quotas
Each of the services limits the number of prior service enlistments they allow each year. It is because a "prior service" enlistment slot is the same as a "re-enlistment" slot. Given the choice, the military will allow someone currently in the service to re-enlist before they allow a prior-service applicant to re-join.
Link: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/prior-service-enlistments-3354052

I would also add that competition is stiff for a limited position. You may have 3 soldiers who are 'solid' to lead a Squad, Platoon, or Company, but only 1 will be selected. That does not mean the other 2 were failures. It gets harder the higher you climb for that leadership position. In this sense I would say 'politics' does play a hand in the selection process. I found that OERs and NCOERs were the deal makers.

Back