Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Hey @Strychnine, I know you are a religious man. I'm not sure what religion. I'm Catholic. You know what the bible says about killing during the time of war do you not? Any good verses from the old or new testament supporting killing during wartime? You also know how the Catholic church (Vatican) sanctioned the Crusades to kill Muslims (Islamic rule) in Jerusalem from 1095 to 1291. It funded 8 major Crusades to slaughter men, women, and children. Had we not fought the Nazis during WWII, we would all be speaking German today.

. 1 Corinthians 9:7: "Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard without eating any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock without getting some of the milk?"
. 2 Corinthians 10:4: "Weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds."

If being a soldier (and doing the things soldiers are required to do) were sinful, it is unlikely the Holy Spirit would have used soldiering as a metaphor for anything good. Throughout the Bible, warfare is presented as a grim reality in a cursed world. There are forces of evil that must be stopped, and bloodshed is sometimes the result.
Dude there are guys on active duty now getting beard exemptions because of bullshit like paganism.

Hey @Strychnine, I know you are a religious man. I'm not sure what religion. I'm Catholic. You know what the bible says about killing during the time of war do you not? Any good verses from the old or new testament supporting killing during wartime? You also know how the Catholic church (Vatican) sanctioned the Crusades to kill Muslims (Islamic rule) in Jerusalem from 1095 to 1291. It funded 8 major Crusades to slaughter men, women, and children. Had we not fought the Nazis during WWII, we would all be speaking German today.

. 1 Corinthians 9:7: "Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard without eating any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock without getting some of the milk?"
. 2 Corinthians 10:4: "Weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds."

If being a soldier (and doing the things soldiers are required to do) were sinful, it is unlikely the Holy Spirit would have used soldiering as a metaphor for anything good. Throughout the Bible, warfare is presented as a grim reality in a cursed world. There are forces of evil that must be stopped, and bloodshed is sometimes the result.

Very well put!

I'm a Southern Baptist (Protestant) and I'm NO Biblical scholar (fact of business, I'm probably the King of Sinners), but I read my Bible and pray daily. This brings me back to one of my favorite films, Sgt. York.

My interpretation...

There is EVIL in this world and it wins when good men stand by and do nothing. On Earth war is a part of man's nature. Sometimes you have to stand and fight for what's right. When your country calls, you answer.

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God what is God's"
Mark 12:7

We have an all volunteer military. When I joined back in '87, I was in effect saying "Here am I, Send me."

"Isaiah 6 describes how the prophet Isaiah, through a vision from the Lord, begins his ministry for God. In the vision, the Lord asks, ““Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” (Isaiah 6:8a). Isaiah’s response was to volunteer for service: “Here am I; send me” (verse 8b, KJV)."

This is just my interpterion about my military service and how God's word in the Bible guided me through.

Word on the street if you're in the USMC is that if you aren't vaccinated by the 15th, you'll get a 6105. You'll then have 30 days to get vaccinated and if you refuse still then you'll be processed for adsep.
@heavyarms21 Have you heard anything like this?

Word on the street if you're in the USMC is that if you aren't vaccinated by the 15th, you'll get a 6105. You'll then have 30 days to get vaccinated and if you refuse still then you'll be processed for adsep.
@heavyarms21 Have you heard anything like this?
That’s pnn. The story broke prematurely. I’ve known about the pending mandatory vaccine for a while but it’s pending Pfizer being approved. It’s not even a guarantee that it will be approved in September. Furthermore the bases were all divided up and each got one vaccine or another. I know my base only gets moderna and I believe we don’t have the equipment to store Pfizer. All that is going to have to be sorted out before they start kicking soldiers out. It was sloppy journalism

This is me speculating but I don’t think there will be any special process for kicking out a service member that refuses. It already exists for the other vaccines, I would assume they would follow whatever process that is.

Last edited:
Ok, this was a little weird. Did not know about it until yesterday. McNamara's Morons!
"In 1966, Robert McNamara announced Project 100,000, not so much to meet the escalating requirements to keep America in Vietnam, but to spare America's poor and otherwise disadvantaged from, in his words, 'idleness, ignorance, and apathy' by giving them a chance to 'earn their fair share of [America's] abundance' and 'return to civilian life with skills and aptitudes.' Basically, McNamara claimed that one of the primary goals of Project 100,000 was to solve societal issues in America."

Not much has changed in 46 years, and we still have not learned from the past. How much taxpayer money was spent, and how many lives were lost? Over 30,000 South Vietnamese killed during the fall of Saigon. How many civilians will be killed during the fall of Kabul.

The United States leaves Vietnam in 1975:
15vanesobit.jpg

The United States leaves Afghanistan in 2021:
210508-afghanistan-mb-1919.jpg

Any other OEF vets feeling really odd reading all the Afghanistan news?

My deployment was chill, we didn't lose anyone either but it still feels just odd as shit to watch the Taliban over run it all.

Not that I had any faith in the ANA but still.

Can't imagine how the dudes who fought and bled and had brothers die there feel right now.

Folly: pursuit by government of policies contrary to their own interests, despite the availability of feasible alternatives.

Any other OEF vets feeling really odd reading all the Afghanistan news?
My deployment was chill, we didn't lose anyone either but it still feels just odd as shit to watch the Taliban over run it all.
Not that I had any faith in the ANA but still.
Can't imagine how the dudes who fought and bled and had brothers die there feel right now.
We lost close to 3,000 Americans during 9/11, which was plotted in Afghanistan. That is why we went to Afghanistan in late 2001.
We killed around 170,000 guerrilla fighters as payback. I think that is something to show for it. Again, we did not 'lose' in Afghanistan. You have to be defeated to have lost. That was never the case. Nation building is different from fighting a war. We should have left Afghanistan after 3 years. It is their country come what may. We should never have gone into Iraq. We can't, and should not, send troops to every hot spot in the world. How many countries in Africa have had horrible civil wars? Did we help? No. People are going to continue to kill each other. Past, present, and future. Warfare is a grim reality in a cursed world.

We lost close to 3,000 Americans during 9/11, which was plotted in Afghanistan. That is why we went to Afghanistan in late 2001.
We killed around 170,000 guerrilla fighters as payback. I think that is something to show for it. Again, we did not 'lose' in Afghanistan. You have to be defeated to have lost. That was never the case. Nation building is different from fighting a war. We should have left Afghanistan after 3 years. It is their country come what may. We should never have gone into Iraq. We can't, and should not, send troops to every hot spot in the world. How many countries in Africa have had horrible civil wars? Did we help? No. People are going to continue to kill each other. Past, present, and future. Warfare is a grim reality in a cursed world.

Running for your life with your tail between your legs while the enemy captures every inch of territory is definite defeat.

Running for your life with your tail between your legs while the enemy captures every inch of territory is definite defeat.

The U.S. spent 20 years, 8 Billion dollars, and U.S. lives to build up Afghanistan and give them a chance at self-governance without Taliban control.

They've rejected that. It's their country to either give over or fight for.

You must be talking about the Afghan Army.
The American Army has already left and it wasn't running from anything when it did. It was told to pull out of the country.

The U.S. spent 20 years, 8 Billion dollars, and U.S. lives to build up Afghanistan and give them a chance at self-governance without Taliban control.
They've rejected that. It's their country to either give over or fight for.
Yes.
The sad part is that the U.S. Army may be going back into Afghanistan in 2022.
A chance for new soldiers to get their CIB and combat patch. A chance for defense contractors to make lots of money - again.
I'm not too worried about Iran. The Israelis can take care of Iran with or without American help.
It will be interesting to see how China and Russia play their cards in Afghanistan. I don't have any issues with Putin. I actually think he is a good leader trying to bring Russia back to its glory days. I don't think he is looking for a fight. The Chinese have grown a pair of 'balls' and become a threat. They are looking to expand and control, either militarily or in the world economy. The Chinese have become a real concern in space.

I've always thought that maybe, Iraq will be a "normal" country one of these days. I never not for one minute thought that in Afghan.
Oh well, it is what it is.

You must be talking about the Afghan Army.
The American Army has already left and it wasn't running from anything when it did. It was told to pull out of the country.
Shit, most of the ANA was probably already Taliban to begin with.

Shit, most of the ANA was probably already Taliban to begin with.
Ever noticed how the side the Americans fought for always sucked at fighting a war. Americans fought for South Vietnam and the South Vietnamese Army sucked. Americans fought for the Afghan people and the Afghan Army sucked. Why is that? Well, for one, the Americans are fighting and dying for them, or in their place. Why did the North Vietnamese Army make a formidable enemy? Why does the Taliban make a formidable enemy? Faith and ideology.

"Why does the rabbit always outruns the fox? The rabbit is running for its life, the fox is running for a meal."

That is how the Israelis were able to beat the Army of 3 countries simultaneously (Egypt, Syria, and Jordan).

Not much has changed in 46 years, and we still have not learned from the past. How much taxpayer money was spent, and how many lives were lost? Over 30,000 South Vietnamese killed during the fall of Saigon. How many civilians will be killed during the fall of Kabul.

The United States leaves Vietnam in 1975:
15vanesobit.jpg

The United States leaves Afghanistan in 2021:
210508-afghanistan-mb-1919.jpg
This is going on at the Kabul airport right now
kabul-airport-1-16290781903x2.jpg

It’s total chaos there

Last edited:
Back