Moments in movies ruined by music

For me it was the first battle scene in Gladiator.

The Roman legions and the barbarian horde’s battle lines had just crashed into each other and the director decided to make that moment a scrambled montage of speed up fighting footage and some classical opera music…

Was very vexed..
Perfect example... sometime less is more sir.

Music is way overused, and many scenes are drowned in it. Check out Godzilla rising up (about the 1:30 mark).

Now here it is with no music.

The first time I realized how music can detract from a scene was the climactic fight in Lethal Weapon 4:

Or Charlize Theron getting it done:

Music has its place no doubt, but we could do with a little less in the movies.

As I've gotten older any time a movie uses licensed music makes me want to shout at the kids on my lawn. Even if it's a good song, even if it fits the scene it comes off as cheap (Even if they paid millions of dollars to use) and gross to me. It's in the same bracket as pop culture references in general

I dunno, that docking scene with the soundtrack in Interstellar was incredible.

That's fine. My issue is the non stop scoring over dialog that he loves to do. I want to hear what they're saying.

Music is way overused, and many scenes are drowned in it. Check out Godzilla rising up (about the 1:30 mark).

Now here it is with no music.

The first time I realized how music can detract from a scene was the climactic fight in Lethal Weapon 4:

Or Charlize Theron getting it done:

Music has its place no doubt, but we could do with a little less in the movies.

NO.

You will listen to a minimum of a bass synth drone during EVERY scene and you will throw money at the brilliant production and you will LIKE it!

Yeah, it's very overused, to the point where a movie or show that can hold up without cheap, incessant ear-candy stands out as shocking.

Reminds me of Jason what's-face's character in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and the scene where he's composing/recording a synth soundtrack for a TV crime procedural and how mindless it is.

A movie like No Country For Old Men with lots of quiet time stands out to me, or There Will Be Blood with the sparse yet unique and thoughtful soundtrack.

Many more examples for good and bad soundtrack/scoring choices but I'm tired and might check back in once I've thought of some more

Who's the Nine Inch Nails guy and his buddy who do soundtracks? Those stand out as unique to me.

Ah, Trent Reznor and is it Atticus something?

If people want to see music being egregiously abused spend a few hours on youtube shorts.

Video about smelling ones own farts "dramatic music plays".
no-pernalonga.gif

A New Hope, ceremony scene.

Luckily someone edited out the music and we can see it in its intended glory.

Excellent exhibit, sir. I almost added in my previous post that it typically entails the word "freedom". Sure enough, your latest exhibits fulfills this requirement.
Although again I would say the music isnt really out of character with the film as a whole, its a very cheesy nationalistic film with cheesy nationalistic music.

That's fine. My issue is the non stop scoring over dialog that he loves to do. I want to hear what they're saying.
With the way actors speak these days along with the sound mastering you wouldn't understand shit anyways.

The worst for me is French movies/TV series. For a few years now I have had to put on subtitles because they just don't articulate.

NO.

You will listen to a minimum of a bass synth drone during EVERY scene and you will throw money at the brilliant production and you will LIKE it!

Yeah, it's very overused, to the point where a movie or show that can hold up without cheap, incessant ear-candy stands out as shocking.

Reminds me of Jason what's-face's character in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and the scene where he's composing/recording a synth soundtrack for a TV crime procedural and how mindless it is.

A movie like No Country For Old Men with lots of quiet time stands out to me, or There Will Be Blood with the sparse yet unique and thoughtful soundtrack.

Many more examples for good and bad soundtrack/scoring choices but I'm tired and might check back in once I've thought of some more

Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood.

Back