muay thai clinch dvds

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
trying t find some good dvds for muay thai clinching not necessairly the plum cause i dont feel the plum is very good for mma unless you get the guy hurt already and go in for a kill any good stuff you guys recommend?

“Plum” just means to clinch in Thai. It isn’t a specific position.

the clinch is a seperate art in of itself. I have not come across many dvd's that do a good job of explaining it in detail, other than just the general basic stuff.

Malaipet.

It will teach you techniques, but you can't learn to clinch without practising live with a partner.

That Malipet video above is pretty good. Bee from Charn Chai has a pretty good video on youtube as well.
I can't find it right now but if I get some time I'll look for it.

if I had to pick one Muay Thai DVD that I have seen to declare the best, I think it would be andrei zeitouns.

Malaipet.

It will teach you techniques, but you can't learn to clinch without practising live with a partner.

of course u gotta work it i feel will come very natural being im a grappler mostly was only shown the basic head clinch throwing knees to the head body

of course u gotta work it i feel will come very natural being im a grappler mostly was only shown the basic head clinch throwing knees to the head body

Yeah, the trouble with the double collar tie is that everyone knows how to deal with it. It's the first thing you learn, it's a hard position to get to and an easy one to defend. It's very rare you see top Thai's working it.

http://8limbs.us/sylvies-tips/sylvies-tips-different-kinds-muay-thai-knees
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/different-kinds-of-muay-thai-knees.3273689/

Yeah, the trouble with the double collar tie is that everyone knows how to deal with it. It's the first thing you learn, it's a hard position to get to and an easy one to defend. It's very rare you see top Thai's working it.

Agreed that it's rare in Muay Thai but is this for MMA?

It works great in MMA because a lot of guys don't go straight to Muay Thai for their clinch work.

Off the top of my head in MMA I can think of Cung Le vs Wanderlei Silva, Ben Saunders vs Marcus Davis and Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson that were two bouts heavily influenced by the plum. AS probably would have won anyway but a knee to the head definitely speed up the process and in the Wanderlei and Saunders bout's it definitely changed the flow of the bout, I don't think curving in a few knee's to the body would have had nearly the same effect.

It works great in MMA because a lot of guys don't go straight to Muay Thai for their clinch work.

Off the top of my head in MMA I can think of Cung Le vs Wanderlei Silva, Ben Saunders vs Marcus Davis and Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson that were two bouts heavily influenced by the plum. AS probably would have won anyway but a knee to the head definitely speed up the process and in the Wanderlei and Saunders bout's it definitely changed the flow of the bout, I don't think curving in a few knee's to the body would have had nearly the same effect.

In MMA it's hard because a double collar tie is a pretty big no no in wrestling because there's comparitvely little you can do from it. It definitely works for a few knees, but the best clinch fighters, Jon Jones, Mighty Mouse, Alistair Overeem and Matt Brown (especially Matt Brown) don't hugely go for it. They work more from single collars, over unders etc.

add silva vs franklin to the list. Franklin did not know how to clinch at all, and did the typical mistakes of someone who doesnt know how to clinch...........trying to block the knees with the forearm, trying to punch is way out of it, ducking the head down and out while pushing off, etc. I can specifically recall when this fight happened, I was amazed to see the a UFC big shot, didnt know how to clinch.

Momentary head ties to head knees are good if you are flurrying on a guy who is shelling up and being defensive. It's not exactly a 'position' as such that you 'pursue' though, like you might with an underhook or so on.

Momentary head ties to head knees are good if you are flurrying on a guy who is shelling up and being defensive. It's not exactly a 'position' as such that you 'pursue' though, like you might with an underhook or so on.

Agreed, in theory if you are reaching out with two hands you could get hit with punches before you get your knee off.

I think some guys just get a feel for when to reach out and do a quick clinch and knee whether they are looking to engage in a protracted clinch or just land one knee.

Obviously Silva wouldn't have been able to do much in a protracted clinch against Henderson but his knee was pivotal in his victory, it wasn't as obvious as him shelling up on the brink of being finished but I'd say he was palpably "confused" and was getting picked off by Silva such that he was a bit reluctant to throw punches, lest he connect again with nothing but air.

As others have said.... The over and under control is far more used in Muay Thai at higher level. The collar tie is more used when you have worn down your opponent and want to show dominance whilst delivering knees to finish.

how about Anderson silvas muay thai for mma dvd? anyone seen it? it has a bunch of clich stuff was told his boxing one sucked is aw it a decade ago

As others have said.... The over and under control is far more used in Muay Thai at higher level. The collar tie is more used when you have worn down your opponent and want to show dominance whilst delivering knees to finish.

yeah like henry cejudo was doing in his last fight i like the idea of off setting their balance/base with knee blocks ect not only for striking but for helping me with my takedowns

add silva vs franklin to the list. Franklin did not know how to clinch at all, and did the typical mistakes of someone who doesnt know how to clinch...........trying to block the knees with the forearm, trying to punch is way out of it, ducking the head down and out while pushing off, etc. I can specifically recall when this fight happened, I was amazed to see the a UFC big shot, didnt know how to clinch.

Kevin Ross touched on this

how about Anderson silvas muay thai for mma dvd? anyone seen it? it has a bunch of clich stuff was told his boxing one sucked is aw it a decade ago

It's quite good. He covers different positions and how to transition between them, it's a bit lacking in sweeps if I remember rightly but it's quite good, it's better clinching than he ever actually used in MMA.

Back