Must-have household tools

Harbor Freight near by is all you need.

Milwaukee is good stuff, but you don't need to go that high end if you are just getting started or are just having tools for around the house. Masterforce tools from Menards are great quality, but don't cost as much. Same with Stanley, Crescent and Performax hand tools.

f578b803-41b9-4e57-ae29-5be1c861a80f.png
That Milwaukee set is only like 400. It will serve its purpose much better. Tools and electronics shouldn't be skimped on.

Minimum:

Hammer
Channel locks
Pliers
Screw Drivers
Tape measure
Saw (even just a manual cross cut saw)
Drill/ bits
Wheel barrow
Shovel
Rake

Important:

Wrenches
Sockets and ratchets
Hammer Drill
Circular saw
Ladder

Nice to have around:

Table saw
Mitre saw
Air compressor
Arc welder
Reciprocating saw
Vise
Angle grinder
Bottle jacks
Chop saw

Extra:

Oxy-Acetylene tanks and torches
Mig welder
Router
Lathe
Bench grinder
Drill press

Ball gag, butt plugs from 3/4"-4", whip, handcuffs, and candles.

Shit, nevermind.

Screwdrivers, hammer, duct tape, tape measure, box cutter, paint brushes, hand saw.

Most of you had it covered, but I will add a stud finder, keyhole saw, wire strippers, and a voltmeter.

The only tool anyone needs is a hammer. If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's not worth fixing.

Minimum:

Hammer
Channel locks
Pliers
Screw Drivers
Tape measure
Saw (even just a manual cross cut saw)
Drill/ bits
Wheel barrow
Shovel
Rake

Important:

Wrenches
Sockets and ratchets
Hammer Drill
Circular saw
Ladder

Nice to have around:

Table saw
Mitre saw
Air compressor
Arc welder
Reciprocating saw
Vise
Angle grinder
Bottle jacks
Chop saw

Extra:

Oxy-Acetylene tanks and torches
Mig welder
Router
Lathe
Bench grinder
Drill press

Reads like a list of everything you should keep away from the A-Team when you capture and imprison them in a barn.

Last edited:
Most of the essentials + more already answered in this thread. Looking at most responses it makes me realize how much tools I actually have. I just need to organize it more. Besides a lawn mower other essential garden tools would be edger/trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer. I would add a wet saw into the mix if you do your own tile work. If you have a 2-story home then some type of extension ladder comes in handy especially if you have high ceilings. Simple items such as clamps, zip ties come in handy. Not essential, but a pressure washer can come in handy. I'm still debating if I want to get one.

The only tool anyone needs is a hammer. If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's not worth fixing.

If at first, you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

I saw a Ford toolkit. A blue roll-up storage pouch with the Ford logo that had a roll of mechanics wire, a pair of pliers and 5 different size hammers.

A good chunk of my tools are from Harbor freight. You have to know what they have that works well vs what they have that does not.

Do not buy vice grips from HF
Feel free to buy wrenches (Even ratcheting)
I have an engine hoist, and other large tools from HF too.

I have locking pliers from Harbor Freight that came in a toolset. They work well for clamping things.

Back